*****KatKwiz! - June 19 - Too hard?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Suppose I wanted to see every post that Jcat has ever made that Persi & Alley have responded to and then move those posts into a folder called resjcat, which does not exist.
List the steps to do this: ______(one or more steps)_______

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can see a downfall in my method, but this is the best I could come up with. so:

1) Create the folder by - going to your User CP (dropdown menu at top), under Control Panel menu, click Edit Folders. In the Add New Folders box, enter Resjcat. Save.

2) Search from drop down menu - click advanced search - search by username on left side of screen - enter Persi & Alley. You should also have "sort results by" set at username (ascending, for my method) and "Show results as" set on "threads." Be sure you are searching all open forums.

3) Go to page 40 of the results. I see 4 threads by jcat that Persi & Alley has responded to. Click on the top post.

4) On the "thread tools" menu, select "Subscribe to the thread." When you get to the subscription page, be sure to select the folder "Resjcat", which was created earlier. Click add subscription.

5) Lather, rinse, repeat (or, repeat step 4 for each of the 4 threads on the search results page - use the back button on your browser to return to the page)

DONE! Haha....I have no idea how many steps that counts as. I expect maybe there is a short cut, but I couldn't find it!

PS: I assumed that when you said "posts that jcat had made that Persi & Alley had responded to" as THREADS by jcat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

I can see a downfall in my method, but this is the best I could come up with. so:

1) Create the folder by - going to your User CP (dropdown menu at top), under Control Panel menu, click Edit Folders. In the Add New Folders box, enter Resjcat. Save.

2) Search from drop down menu - click advanced search - search by username on left side of screen - enter Persi & Alley. You should also have "sort results by" set at username (ascending, for my method) and "Show results as" set on "threads." Be sure you are searching all open forums.

3) Go to page 40 of the results. I see 4 threads by jcat that Persi & Alley has responded to. Click on the top post.

4) On the "thread tools" menu, select "Subscribe to the thread." When you get to the subscription page, be sure to select the folder "Resjcat", which was created earlier. Click add subscription.

5) Lather, rinse, repeat (or, repeat step 4 for each of the 4 threads on the search results page - use the back button on your browser to return to the page)

DONE! Haha....I have no idea how many steps that counts as. I expect maybe there is a short cut, but I couldn't find it!

PS: I assumed that when you said "posts that jcat had made that Persi & Alley had responded to" as THREADS by jcat.
Your way works and therefore you are today's winner. However, let me point out my way because I have some things I want to make sure everybody is aware of.

My step 1 is exactly the same as yours.
My next step is to NOW click on List Subscriptions.
Next, click on the not so obvious Thread Starter at the top of the list. Also not so obvious is what the heck that means. What it means is sort the list according to the name of the person who started the thread. Scroll to Jcat, perform your step 4 and you are done.

List Subscriptions is a list that includes all theads that YOU have started and all threads others have started that YOU have responded to. As with forums, the list contains bold entries for those that you have not seen since last being updated.

List Subscriptions is in your Options and will be the subject of a future KatKwiz. If you are not seeing a list, go here and see if you can figure out what to do before the KatKwiz question comes out.

Having said that, YOU are today's winner.
CONGRATULATIONS!

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The only two threads I have under list subscriptions are the ones that I added today for the purpose of today's KatKwiz.

So, am I correct in thinking that, in order for threads that you post or respond to to appear on this list, you have to subscribe to the thread when you post (in the Additional Options box) or have default subscriptions set up (through options in the UserCP)?

I'm hoping that isn't answering any future KatKwiz questions...just trying to clarify what you said!

And thanks! I shall take a break for the rest of the month!
That one was a toughy!

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't subscribe to threads either - so my list is empty as well, so that would not work for me either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

The only two threads I have under list subscriptions are the ones that I added today for the purpose of today's KatKwiz.

So, am I correct in thinking that, in order for threads that you post or respond to to appear on this list, you have to subscribe to the thread when you post (in the Additional Options box) or have default subscriptions set up (through options in the UserCP)?

I'm hoping that isn't answering any future KatKwiz questions...just trying to clarify what you said!

And thanks! I shall take a break for the rest of the month!
That one was a toughy!
This quiz followed on the heel of yesterday's and like yesterday's you are correct. There are two places, in Options and each forum. This is a very neat option, it's the first place I go each morning. And why take a break? You can win three times in a calendar month. (Just KatKwiz, you can win 30 KatKwery's a month.)

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I won KatKwiz on June 14, 15, and 19th...so 3 times. I'll still join in on KatKwery, although I prefer the Kwiz (I like solving puzzles!)!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
My way would have been much more complicated. Upon seeing my username here, I would have gone to my profile, and clicked "show posts". Then I would have clicked on the thread title they appeared in, and done a search for Persi & Alley. I wonder how many hours that would've taken?
I don't subscribe to threads, though I have RSS feeds for some forums, so that possibility wouldn't have occurred to me!