OH No! My life (job) flashed before my eyes

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, this morning, I bring in two really nice dumbo male rats into work (about five weeks old) to give to a co-worker that wanted them as pets for his children (they have hamsters but they bite their kids all the time - I told him rats are MUCH better pets).

Dummy me has to be Super Woman and carry everything into the office in one trip - including the rats.

So the rats are in one hand, and I go to swipe my access card to get in the building, and in the same motion, manage to unlatch one half of the tub - and.......you guessed it, dumped the aspen AND the rats on the ground in front of the door.

I'm chasing rats around, grab one of them, and the other one? Um, err..... He runs into the bushes, into the THICK bushes, at 5:30 in the morning where I can't see him.

I'm like oh no, oh no, oh no!!!!! Where's a feral cat when you need them? Oh lord, if this rat comes out from under the bushes and anyone sees him, I'm toast! Everyone will know where it came from - and how am I going to explain to Sal that one of his rats has heeded the call of the wild?

I am thoroughly disgusted and images of what can go wrong continue to replay in my head. Someone's going to go out and the rat's going to run over their feet.

Well, so I go back outside and walk along the entire length of the bushes willing this rat to come out. I step back to think - and out pops a little head. I telepathically say "FREEZE!" and he steps back into the bushes, but is still in the front - I get on my hands and knees and creep up to him and POUNCE! - Got him!

He's now safely in his permanent home. Sal came to pick them up about 1/2 an hour after disaster was averted! And I still have my job!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww poor you I would of been soooo mad! lol what an evil

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

yay!
How long did it take you to catch him? Lol I bet you were annoyed with the little tinker!
Well, first I laid down on the sidewalk to try to peer under the bushes (while not being seen by incoming employees) but I saw nothing. Then I told one co-worker who I knew wasn't freaked out by rats, and he tried to rustle the bushes to scare him out - but I figured he was hunkered down.

Went inside, fixed a cup of coffee and came back out to ponder what to do next and I see the little face peeking out. I am SOOO glad he froze rather than ran back inside.