TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Obama breaks promise; forgoes public funds
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Obama breaks promise; forgoes public funds

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
I'm disappointed; I was impressed with this man. Perhaps he's just another politician after all, and it's just all about the money. Today he went back on an agreement made with John McCain about accepting public campaign funding, and the limitations such financing imposes on private contributions.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/
post #2 of 23
Sure, he is just "another politician". Did you really think any different, really?

You didn't really think he is the Messiah, did you?
post #3 of 23
I'm not sure I understand why you feel this is a broken promise. I don't recall Obama ever stating that he was going to take public funds for his campaign. Why would he when he has been so successful at raising money privately? I have heard him deny taking any money from PACs.

The MODS will probably want to move this to IMO now, as it's going to start another debate.
post #4 of 23
Thread Starter 
Here ya go -- I looked up the references this morning for a local talk show (and before I posted here so I'd have checked the facts) -- my email to the show:

Quote:
Obama said:

"
In February 2007, I proposed a novel way to preserve the strength of the public financing system in the 2008 election. My plan requires both major party candidates to agree on a fundraising truce, return excess money from donors, and stay within the public financing system for the general election. My proposal followed announcements by some presidential candidates that they would forgo public financing so they could raise unlimited funds in the general election. The Federal Election Commission ruled the proposal legal, and Senator John McCain (R-AZ) has already pledged to accept this fundraising pledge. If I am the Democratic nominee, I will aggressively pursue an agreement with the Republican nominee to preserve a publicly financed general election.
"
from: http://mediamatters.org/items/200804100004

announcement of McCain-Obama agreement: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/02/us...ics/02fec.html

"
March 1 - Senator John McCain joined Senator Barack Obama on Thursday in promising to accept a novel fund-raising truce if each man wins his party’s presidential nomination"

Tim
post #5 of 23
Obama shuns public campaign funds
Quote:
The decision reverses his earlier promise to use the federal public financing system if his Republican rival also did so.

The Obama campaign team said Mr McCain was already using privately-raised funds in his campaign and that the public finance system was "broken"...."But the public financing of presidential elections as it exists today is broken, and we face opponents who've become masters at gaming this broken system."

He said Mr McCain's campaign was being financed by Washington lobbyists and special interest groups.
Emphasis added.
post #6 of 23
This is just the start of a long line of broken promises from this BS artist.

Am I the only one that noticed he said and acted however was necessary to appeal to the group to whom he was speaking? His supporters turned a blind eye to his baloney. Buyers remorse will be setting in bigtime. Already started when he addressed the black community church and discussed that the black family, or man (I did not hear it, just reports) should take responsibility for their families. That didn't sit well with them. Now the campaign money.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop.
post #7 of 23
I've always trusted my gut instincts and they haven't failed me very often and I've never had good feelings about this guy. I think this may just be the first of many broken promises.
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
There's still a long campaign ahead. Stay tuned.

Or we can skip ahead if you like and I'll tell you right now how it's going to be: it's going to be another choice between the lesser of two evils. Like it usually is because the political system is just plain broken and our best people want no part of it.
post #9 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
There's still a long campaign ahead. Stay tuned.

Or we can skip ahead if you like and I'll tell you right now how it's going to be: it's going to be another choice between the lesser of two evils. Like it usually is because the political system is just plain broken and our best people want no part of it.
Way back in the Dark Ages, i.e., when I was in college, and 18 or 19, a Political Science professor said something that really opened my eyes. Politicians are really underpaid compared to corporate leaders, so don't expect to find "the best of the best" in politics.
Need I say more?
post #10 of 23
Thread Starter 
Of course corporate leaders are grossly overpaid, and we don't find the "best of the best" among them either.
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcat View Post
The decision reverses his earlier promise to use the federal public financing system if his Republican rival also did so.
Emphasis added.
That's exactly right. He didn't break a promise. He never got McCain to support public funding.
post #12 of 23
Thread Starter 
According to the NY Times article cited above, McCain's spokesperson says he did make such an agreement:

Quote:
WASHINGTON, March 1 — Senator John McCain joined Senator Barack Obama on Thursday in promising to accept a novel fund

The promises by Mr. McCain, Republican of Arizona, and Mr. Obama, Democrat of Illinois, are an effort to resuscitate part of the ailing public financing system for presidential campaigns.

....

But there is a chance that the obituaries for the public system may be premature. On Thursday, a spokesman for Mr. McCain said that he would take up Mr. Obama on a proposal for an accord between the two major party nominees to rely just on public financing for the general election

....

The manager of Mr. McCain’s campaign, Terry Nelson, said he welcomed the decision.

“Should John McCain win the Republican nomination, we will agree to accept public financing in the general election, if the Democratic nominee agrees to do the same,†Mr. Nelson said.
Now, I read that as that both candidates agreed. Frankly, they're both being disingenuous, IMO. McCain as much so as Obama. Saying that one who do so if the other did so, and the other saying the same, is just going around in circles. Probably what they intended in the first place, so they wouldn't have to abide by their agreements. Any normal, reasonable, average people would have called that an agreement.
post #13 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momofmany View Post
That's exactly right. He didn't break a promise. He never got McCain to support public funding.
Soooo, it is McCain's fault? That is hilarious, hilarious.

Question for the Day:

If John McCain jumps off a bridge, will Barak Obama do the same?




P.S. (It's really Bush's fault)
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
P.S. (It's really Bush's fault)
And I thought it was (Bill) Clinton's fault!
post #15 of 23
It sounds more like they agreed to do it if they both didn't, and now Obama said he wasn't, but did it first. There wasn't really a promise. McCain and Obama never met, and when their lawyers did once, Obama's lawyer said that McCain's wasn't ready to talk about finance. Frankly, it sounds a little like McCain's camp wasn't very eager to have an agreement about financing, and now they're crying foul because they know they can't raise the money.

Obama has raised nearly twice as much money already than McCain, he'd be stupid to take the public money and therefore the cap. The RNC has a lot more to spend on ads on behalf of McCain than the DNC does on Obama.

If Obama were enough of a fool to be outspent by McCain/RNC when he's raised more than any candidate in history already, he wouldn't be worth voting for.

Why is anyone upset that 85$ million tax dollars won't be spent on campaign ads?
post #16 of 23
Thread Starter 
I think that technically, and legally speaking, you're right, but it sure seems to me like they both reneged on the spirit of an agreement. Either that or their spokespeople are putting out information about them that's incorrect, and not having oversight over your subordinates is not something I want to see again in a President.
post #17 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
I think that technically, and legally speaking, you're right, but it sure seems to me like they both reneged on the spirit of an agreement. Either that or their spokespeople are putting out information about them that's incorrect, and not having oversight over your subordinates is not something I want to see again in a President.
Oh, me either. I agree, there's plenty of spin-doctoring going on here. It seems that it never would have been a big deal if McCain didn't make it one-- Obama didn't think so, or he would have announced the plan to continue private fundraising in a press conference rather than waiting until McCain had a conniption and then scheduling one.

I am hoping against hope that our next president is an honest man.
post #18 of 23
Honesty? Out of career politicians? Not a chance.
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Honesty? Out of career politicians? Not a chance.
It's a relative term in politicians...
post #20 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zissou'sMom View Post
I am hoping against hope that our next president is an honest man.
When you say "our" you wouldn't happen to be a resident of another dimension, now would you?

(I know you can't possibly be talking about HERE)
post #21 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapunzel47 View Post
It's a relative term in politicians...

Honest compared to what, though? A lawyer? Used car salesman? Ax murderer?
post #22 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Honest compared to what, though? A lawyer? Used car salesman? Ax murderer?
Those would be good examples, yeah!
post #23 of 23
As a politician it's his job to say and do whatever it takes to get himself ingraciated with the public. Without their votes, he's won't succeed.

I don't pay much attention to politics and what politicians say because most everything that comes out of their mouths are lies and broken promises because until they get into office they really have no clear understanding about what it takes to make whatever they have promised happen, and by then they don't care if they do because they have already gotten your vote and you can't take it back.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Obama breaks promise; forgoes public funds