Major Vent about Disability Payments

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, I am extremely angry right now!

Some of you know that my husband has been trying to get his disability. He paid into it for over 25 years. He was denied the first time.

Well, he has just been denied again!!! They say it isn't "severe" enough for disability! Try living with him and then tell me it isn't severe! He can't even go to the store by himself without having panic attacks. He can't go anywhere unless I am with him. And this is with medication. He can't remember things and cannot pay attention for very long. They even said this in the letter we got! The Social Security Doctor even told us that he should be approved this time. I guess she was just blowing smoke up our
!

So now I got to try and find an attorney to handle his appeal! He is 56 years old. Who wants to hire someone with all those problems. I am so angry!!!!!

I just had to vent

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to have a lawyer to work with his case. Most people don't get approved the first or even the second time.

My mother for example, has a very bad neck that prevents her from doing a lot of things - a 5lb limit for lifting, and it looks like she may have polychondritis now (autoimmune).
She's applied for her 3rd time and her lawyer will be going to the hearing soon.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You need to have a lawyer to work with his case. Most people don't get approved the first or even the second time.

My mother for example, has a very bad neck that prevents her from doing a lot of things - a 5lb limit for lifting, and it looks like she may have polychondritis now (autoimmune).
She's applied for her 3rd time and her lawyer will be going to the hearing soon.
I am getting an attorney. I just need to find a good one. He has 60 days to appeal. How long did it take to get the hearing?

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm really sorry to here that Catkiki.

It's a shame how disability is run in this country. I know this isn't much comfort, but you can also direct a lot of the blame to the lowlife losers that forced drastic measures due to abuse of the program. Rules are the result of abuse.

It doesn't excuse the fact that people who honestly need it can't get it though. it's like insurance. I can't stand the fact that people take our money right away, and cancel the second we might be late. Even if we paid for 20 years, 10 days late and we're not covered.

The shame about disability is virtually everyone is denied the first time. That's so wrong. But you can at least hold some comfort in knowing that if and when you get approved via an attorney you'll get retroactive money I think.

Either way, I wish you the best.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel my dad has blood clots in his legs from the aneurysm tha ruptured in his aorta and he can't stand for long periods of time and can't lift things that are heavy and he applied and was denied as well! oh but it's so easy for people who don't really have a problem to get it...my bf's aunt applied and said she has panic attacks (which she doesn't) and she got it..

So I know how you feel I hope you hand them their bums in court and they get what they deserve as well as you get what your hubby deserves!!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so sad that people who really need disability can't get it, and other people get it for stupid reasons. I work for a government contract and deal with government workers everyday. I had a woman try to get my sympathy because she retired under disability because she twisted her back trying to reach the light switch behind a file cabinet and it irritated her ciatic(sp?) nerve. HELLO!! At that point I'm popping tylenol like candy because my ciatic nerve is killing me too, but I'm still at work, but she's just living off MY tax dollars. Then, I had another guy literally crying on the phone because his disability has been denied....and he has a brain tumor and is going through radiation every day that makes him sick.

It doesn't make any sense.

I hope you can get this straightened out soon! coming your way.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

The shame about disability is virtually everyone is denied the first time. That's so wrong.
25-30 years ago, i had a headache that lasted for 3-4 years. [i know, unbelievable!] anyway, i applied for disability at that time, & was denied. y'know why? they said that i was able to do housework, so wasn't disabled.
now, these people had obviously NEVER seen my house/room! [at the time, i was living w/my parents, since i was too ill to hold down a job].
i'm no longer disabled [PTL!] but my house is still a major mess!
& that he qualifies this time!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

I am getting an attorney. I just need to find a good one. He has 60 days to appeal. How long did it take to get the hearing?
I'm not sure about all the details, just that her lawyer is pushing to get everything though (of course, he gets no money otherwise
).

I recommend searching online for groups/forums that can help provide information and support.

As for why some get approved and some don't - it depends on state, what your doctor has written such as any little side notes - please ask for a complete copy of all medical records if you can and even those notes. If the doctor or a past doctor wrote something negative down it could cause problems - or have your lawyer help with this. Another factor is the doctor they may have some visit with or go over their files, and if there's any bias there.

cattybird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

OK, I am extremely angry right now!

Some of you know that my husband has been trying to get his disability. He paid into it for over 25 years. He was denied the first time.

Well, he has just been denied again!!! They say it isn't "severe" enough for disability! Try living with him and then tell me it isn't severe! He can't even go to the store by himself without having panic attacks. He can't go anywhere unless I am with him. And this is with medication. He can't remember things and cannot pay attention for very long. They even said this in the letter we got! The Social Security Doctor even told us that he should be approved this time. I guess she was just blowing smoke up our
!

So now I got to try and find an attorney to handle his appeal! He is 56 years old. Who wants to hire someone with all those problems. I am so angry!!!!!

I just had to vent
I'm really sorry to hear that. They need to find out a way to handle the Disability situation a lot better. Years ago, my Dad tried to get me on Disability (I have CP), and I was turned down. About eight years ago my Mom and sister tried again to get me Disability and I was turned down three times! Finally we found a very good lawyer who was able to win the case. But it shouldn't be so damned hard for Disabled people to get Disability!