Oh no, I think I have strep

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My throat's been slightly sore since I got up. I just looked at it in the mirror and there's a white spot on my tonsil. EEEK I don't have a fever though and with strep you get a fever. Hopefully if it gets worse I can get to the doctor. I'm pretty much broke.
(what else is new) I'll have to figure out something because I think people can die from untreated strep.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it'll work on strep but you might want to try the Zicam nasal swabs. They work like a charm when I feel a cold coming on. Don't get the spray though I've heard of at least 2 people who had ill effects from it... like losing their sense of smell!

Hope you feel better soon!

binkyhoo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you are generally healthy you wont die from strep throat. Actually I have never heard of a person dieing from it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by binkyhoo

If you are generally healthy you wont die from strep throat. Actually I have never heard of a person dieing from it.
I heard of it once. This guy I worked with said his brother died from complications of Strep. I used to get it every year as a kid but I haven't had it in so long that I can't remember the last time I got it. The white spot on the tonsils where always the tell tale sign though.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, people can die from strep, though it rarely happens with today's antibiotics.
If the strep goes systemic, it can damage the heart and/or kidneys. Ever heard of Rheumatic Fever - it's strep. A friend of my son was treated for strep, but developed Rheumatic Fever anyway. He did develop some heart issues that required restrictions in activities. Sad.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just keep an eye on yourself (that sounds so silly!). Just because you saw a spot doesn't mean it is strep. I get frequent pharyngitis and it is rarely strep but looks and feels like strep. Try a salt water rinse/gargle. It might help.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well DH has been sick but his is a sinus infection. I'm not having sinus symptoms though.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Look up "tonsil stone" or "tonsilloliths.".
If that looks familiar, try carefully pushing around the tonsil with your finger (wash your hands first) or a q-tip.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope it isn't strep throat. The last time I got strep throat it hurt so bad that when I drank anything other than water it felt like sulphric acid going down my throat. My throat actually started to bleed. I had a fever of 102 when I finally went to the Dr. I will never forget that!

Strep throat is dangerous and should be treated Asap. It can lead to Rheumatic fever. My mother and husband both got Rheumatic fever from strep throat.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Look up "tonsil stone" or "tonsilloliths.".
If that looks familiar, try carefully pushing around the tonsil with your finger (wash your hands first) or a q-tip.
It sort of looks like a tonsil stone. I tried poking around with a qtip but didn't get it. I just don't know. My throat isn't severely sore or I don't have a fever like with strep. Not unless it hasn't gotten that severe yet. I'll have to see what tomorrow brings.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I supposed to go fishing with DH and his friend tonight but now I don't feel very good because DH gave me his germs.
I've been looking forward to fishing for a while too. I almost went anyway but I don't want to be miserable. Plus DH said they would probably be out all night. OK, I'm done whining now. Pity party for me.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'll glady join your pity party!

IMO, fishing is boring. So, just don't think about it if you enjoy it, think about snuggling with Popsie instead!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well Strangewings was right about me having a tonsil stone. More like six or seven of them!!!!!! I got the first one out and they just kept coming and coming and.... well you get the picture. I couldn't believe it. I've never gotten tonsil stones before. If I find anymore I'm going to scream.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never heard of these before-they are in the tonsil-very small??

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I've never heard of these before-they are in the tonsil-very small??
Well my left tonsil is a bit swollen and it's caused sort of a pocket. Six or seven small chunks came out of that pocket in my tonsil.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gail and Laureen - look them up, they're nasty things.

I've had them for years and have found out how to remove them. Some people naturally have little holes in their tonsils, these are called crypts. When you eat, bits of food will get in there and along with bacteria, sinus drainage, and other nasty stuff, will build up into little balls (or chunks) that are white, yellow, brown, or green - if they're darker then they decayed.

Some people have little crypts and the stones never get very large, others have deep ones and the stuff just keeps gathering. I have deep ones... but have noticed that regularly keeping them clean does help make the crypts shrink.

If anyone suspects they have them and wants an expect opinion - see an ENT.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Gail and Laureen - look them up, they're nasty things.

I've had them for years and have found out how to remove them. Some people naturally have little holes in their tonsils, these are called crypts. When you eat, bits of food will get in there and along with bacteria, sinus drainage, and other nasty stuff, will build up into little balls (or chunks) that are white, yellow, brown, or green - if they're darker then they decayed.

Some people have little crypts and the stones never get very large, others have deep ones and the stuff just keeps gathering. I have deep ones... but have noticed that regularly keeping them clean does help make the crypts shrink.

If anyone suspects they have them and wants an expect opinion - see an ENT.
Well the "crypt" these came out of is deep. I thought I'd never get all the stones.