Is regular Wellness wet okay for kittens?

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm about to add a 12/13 week old kitten to my bunch and I wanted to know if it was okay to just feed her the same Wellness wet I give my two boys already.

Since she will be confied until she is older unless supervised I would have the option of free feeding dry food if necessary, however, due to one of my older cats stomach issues along with his "piggyness" I won't be able to free feed her without confining her, any suggestions?

Thanks everyone!

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I sort of have your situation too....a 12-yr old and a 3 month old......I did ask my Vet if it was okay for the kitten to be eating the adult food....she said that it isn't the worst scenario...but the kitten food is high in phospherous and another element that was good for the kitten. She said to try to make sure that the kitten gets some kitten food.

Since the kitten eats more often...I lift the adult food...so he can only eat the kitten wet food. When I feel he's had a fair daily share..then I don't worry if he eats a bit of the adult wet food when I'm not looking.

Also kitten food is high in protein and fat...which is good for the kitten for growth, esp if he or she is highly energetic.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that most types of Wellness wet are actually all stages wet foods, safe to feed your kitties regardless of their ages.

I am not positive, though.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I think that most types of Wellness wet are actually all stages wet foods, safe to feed your kitties regardless of their ages.

they are all stage

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

They may be...but they do make a specific Kitten formula. It only comes in a tiny can, and only in one flavour.

Perhaps the OP can go to the Wellness website and compare the ingrediants list between the adult wet, and the kitten wet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I actually just got off the phone with Wellness (they answered right away! no prompts, no hold!)

They said their canned diet is not all stages and suggested I feed the kitten formula of the canned and/or the Wellness Core dry food to all of my pets, but since my older boys don't do well w/ the dry food, I don't know what I'm going to do with her yet, I may call my vet, he seems pretty nutritonally informed

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also find it funny that Wellness suggested Core, their most expensive food.
(See, I doubt everything a company rep says about their own food)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sillyitiliangrl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the same boat and this is what I'm doing:

My 12 week old kitten doesn't like kitten food. I've tried several kinds. But she loves adult Wellness chicken dry food, that my adult hates (go figure). I feed my kitten the wet kitten Wellness (and Nutro natural kitten wet) several times a day and free feed the Wellness adult along with a mix of Nutro/Purina kitten foods (which she largely ignores). I figure since Wellness is such a good food and mostly meat, she'll be fine. My kitten likes to eat whatever the big kittie is eating, so maybe feed kitten food to all your cats? We'll all have fat cats soon!