*****KatKwery - June 18 - The KatKwiz Cat Query*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was just kidding about DW making the words harder! Yesterday's words look pretty easy (I used two). Only one winner, marianjela, who returned to use the word many.
Words not used were: heard, saw, want, and afraid.

Today's KatKwery based on today's KatKwiz:

First of all, were you aware of this method of sorting forum threads? Have you ever sorted Views to see what was the most looked at? Have you ever sorted using Replies to see what was getting the most responses? Were you aware of the Thread Display Options in your User CP? Were you aware of the Display Options at the bottom of each forum?

BTW, secret words are never simply YES or NO!

I thought the KatKwiz would run the full 8 hours so that KatKwery could be posted later in the day. I will do what I can so that KatKwery is not always posted at the same time every day. Might even change the rules a tad so as to be fair.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, were you aware of this method of sorting forum threads? Have you ever sorted Views to see what was the most looked at? Have you ever sorted using Replies to see what was getting the most responses? Were you aware of the Thread Display Options in your User CP? Were you aware of the Display Options at the bottom of each forum?
Yes I was aware of this method of sorting forum threads.
Although I'm still a baby here on this forum, I have been a member of several vBulletin based forums (mostly reptile related) for the past three years and often sort different views, usually by most viewed and by most replied to. So, I have often sorted by replies to see what threads got a lot of traffic both in views and responses, especially on days when forums are a little slower and I want something new to read.

On some forums, I also set my posts per page to 20 or 40 and on some of the reptile forums - they can be 75 plus pages even when set to 40 posts a page - so those can take HOURS to read! LOL

Yes, I was aware of the thread display options in the user CP, but had a "senior moment" today when answering the Kwiz and did it the hard way of sorting by views from the beginning in each individual forum.

I was aware of the display options at the bottom of each forum since that's how I came to my answer.

I look forward to these Kwiz's and Kwery's each day now! Lots of fun!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I was just kidding about DW making the words harder! Yesterday's words look pretty easy (I used two). Only one winner, marianjela, who returned to use the word many.
Words not used were: heard, saw, want, and afraid.

I thought the KatKwiz would run the full 8 hours so that KatKwery could be posted later in the day. I will do what I can so that KatKwery is not always posted at the same time every day. Might even change the rules a tad so as to be fair.
I seem to remember another Katkwiz about the sorting options in the search thingy. Even though rabernet had the right answer I used the search anyway just to see. I never really bother using the search unless I'm trying to find an answer to Katkwiz.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I
Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes. Just kidding, here is how I would try to win points:
Yes, I use this method often just to give kind of a ranking to the threads. I sort Views to determine which threads are provoking the most interest. I often sort on Replies to see who is not receiving replies and I will normally post some type of reply to those not having any or just a few replies. I do this because if somebody already has twenty replies, I feel mine will be lost in the others whereas it will be seen otherwise. Also it is hard to imagine that I can add anything to posts that have many replies. I was aware of the Thread Display Options and have mine set to two days because I am on here so much. I can then use the Display Options in the individual forums when I wish to override the default set in Options.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had no clue at all about the whole search thing. Thanks for telling us =). I have never sorted the views in any of the ways you asked in your question. Although now that I know I will be sure to use it.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Nope, didn't know that was available! Cool! I guess I've never used that 'cuz I'm not really concerned with what has the most views. Kinda feels like a popularity contest.
I like to treat all threads equally!

I usually play with all the features of a forum, but I've never found those! I guess I will have to go play now!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had no idea in the slightest about that way of sorting threads! Never really tried to do that before! I never checked the views to see which one was viewed the most or posted or replied to the most! I also had no clue about the thread display options! Or much about the user control! Thats what the katkwiz is for! LOL to teach me stuff I didn't know before!
I knew about the options being at the bottom of the page but I have never used them! Yes Im guilty of not even attemtping to try it! Not that I take a look Im a little suprised you can even check by thread rating!! haha nor can I get it to work for me to even try it!!
Gonna be one of those days!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I have seen the option to sort threads based, but no I never thought about doing that so as to reply to questions not receiving much help. That's a great idea. I'm on here alot, so maybe that'll come in handy.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

yes, i know all of the ways to sort the threads - i rarely sort by Views or Replies, since i'm really not that interested!
but i've tried all of the display views
, and my preference is the forum default.
on a 2nd note [not a question, btw] i also have tried all of the skins offered - my solid preference there is for night vision - all of the others make my eyes tired!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Only one winner, marianjela, who returned to use the word many.

Gee thanks Lee! ...and I thought I would be too late.

I use the sort method on occasion when I am bored and looking around. I like to sort and find the popular threads to see what was going on at a particular time or why it attracted so much attention. I've sorted by views and replies, but never really focused on the least replied threads - good idea Lee

As for the display options; I dont really use those as much. Usually I just click on the linked headers at the top of the listed messages. Just call me lazy.
Although I've done searches using the same sorted ideas.

LOL

Sorted ideas...

ROFL - blame it on lack of sleep

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Gee thanks Lee! ...and I thought I would be too late.

I use the sort method on occasion when I am bored and looking around. I like to sort and find the popular threads to see what was going on at a particular time or why it attracted so much attention. I've sorted by views and replies, but never really focused on the least replied threads - good idea Lee

As for the display options; I dont really use those as much. Usually I just click on the linked headers at the top of the listed messages. Just call me lazy.
Although I've done searches using the same sorted ideas.

LOL

Sorted ideas...

ROFL - blame it on lack of sleep
Im still waiting on someone to do the least replied! I put up a thread a while back that didn't get one single reply! I see how I rate!

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hope I'm not too late to enter this KatKwery - got extremely busy yesterday afternoon and forgot to come back and post!

I knew that there was some way of sorting forum threads and have tried to do it but had it work correctly so I just gave up and thought that I was obviously doing something wrong - but just not having the courage to ask how to do it properly!

I hadn't thought to sort views to see which was the most looked at... mainly because I thought that the Sticky's were the threads with the most responses. Now that I know this isn't the case, I will give this method of sorting a go and see what I come up with.

I was aware, and do use, the thread display options which are in my User CP and actually only discovered they were also at the bottom of each thread when I returned to the forum after about a year!... Doh!