Introducing New Animals - Some Random Thoughts

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just something I was thinking about last evening, pardon me while I ramble!

I didn't spend a lot of time on introductions between Sammy and Diamond (our dog) or Lexi and Sammy. Sammy was a foster kitty before I got him, raised around other kitties and the Lexi was, well - a baby, who wasn't too concerned about the other two animals.

Sammy spent maybe two hours behind closed doors before he was allowed free run of the apartment (and only because I had to run back out and wanted to be home to supervise interactions). There are many places where he was able to duck and get away from Diamond if she got to be too overbearing in her adoration of her new friend (she adores kitties). Within 48 hours the two of them were comfortable relaxing on the bed together.

After I brought home Lexi, at about 9 weeks old, and after she'd seen the vet - I didn't separate her at all from the other two. She did a little bit of back arching and hissing at Diamond (wouldn't you if a 70 lb dog was sniffing your rear end and you weren't much bigger than a snack? LOL) initially, and wasn't concerned in the least with Sammy. Sammy immediately took to her. That evening, all three were relaxing on the bed with me. Lexi now snuggles down each evening into Diamond's thick coat of fur.

I also volunteer with Canine Assistants that trains service dogs for the physically disabled so I have other dogs rotating in and out of my home monthly. Not a lot of time for introductions and the kitties (both past and present) have done remarkably well with each dog.

So I was actually thinking about this last night after I brought home the latest golden retriever, Palmer so that he can get workplace experience (he's under my desk here at work right now). I wonder if our body language and posture has anything to do with the success or failure of introductions? I know that some of it has to do with the animals themselves, but I had a three pack of kitties before who also helped me "train" these service dogs, and none of my kitties ever seemed particularly perturbed by the rotating door of doggies. They may have even realized that these dogs weren't permanent over time and it was just like mommy to bring home dogs once or twice a month.

I always approach it with the expectation that the animals will get along. These dogs are raised on a farm with horses, and pigs and goats, and two kitties, and rabbits, etc (lots of exposure to other animals so that they don't get too excited about seeing "new" animals - you don't really want a service dog tied to a wheelchair of a child and taking off after a squirrel - not a good thing). Last night was Lexi and Sammy's first introduction to a service dog.

Lexi had great fun chasing after Palmer's leash all evening, and he could care less about her after the initial sniffing. Sammy wasn't quite as sure and had bristle brush tail initially, but was relaxed around Palmer within a couple of hours.

So, what do you think? Do you think if we approach introductions without the anticipation or expectation of problems that the introductions will go smoother? Does my calmer "aura" cause the animals to be more relaxed? If I were nervous and tense about introductions, would introductions take longer? Or am I just incredibly blessed to have had well adjusted animals who are able to handle whatever life puts in front of them all my life?

Or am I giving off "pack leader" vibes, so the animals know that they can depend on me as a leader to keep each of them safe? Of course I step in if one animal is being too pushy with another, but I also give them chances to work things out themselves. For example, if Diamond is too overbearing wanting to play with Lexi - I give Lexi the opportunity to correct her (Diamond's had her share of well placed hits on the nose with claws extended from different members of my feline family - both past and present - she doesn't often make the same mistake twice once soundly told off! LOL)

What are your thoughts and your experiences?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by rabernet

So, what do you think? Do you think if we approach introductions without the anticipation or expectation of problems that the introductions will go smoother? Does my calmer "aura" cause the animals to be more relaxed? If I were nervous and tense about introductions, would introductions take longer? Or am I just incredibly blessed to have had well adjusted animals who are able to handle whatever life puts in front of them all my life?
Or am I giving off "pack leader" vibes, so the animals know that they can depend on me as a leader to keep each of them safe?
What are your thoughts and your experiences?
In my experience, 99% depends on the animals - temperament, history, age. I've had good introductions when I was nervous or tense. Terrible ones when I expected otherwise.
The 1% is basically me not giving up.
It may also include the "aura", "pack leader vibes" you described.