Can someone explain this to me

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, in the movie Terminator, Kyle Reese was sent from the future to save Sara Connor. Kyle dies in the end so how can he exist in the future if he died in the past? It doesn't make sense does it?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds to me as if you weren't supposed to notice that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Well, I haven't seen the movie, but it sounds to me as if you weren't supposed to notice that.
Probably not. I'm too much like my Mom in that sense. We always have to pick apart a movie.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Kyle that died in the past was older than the Kyle that lived in the future. Therefore, this is not the SAME Kyle, exactly. And the extinguishing of a different person wouldn't destroy an unborn baby.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

The Kyle that died in the past was older than the Kyle that lived in the future. Therefore, this is not the SAME Kyle, exactly. And the extinguishing of a different person wouldn't destroy an unborn baby.
OK, now I get it. I think.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

OK, in the movie Terminator, Kyle Reese was sent from the future to save Sara Connor. Kyle dies in the end so how can he exist in the future if he died in the past? It doesn't make sense does it?
because, technically, he hadn't been born yet. his ancestors were still alive, so he is born in the future.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and remember they are 'trying to change the future' and by that respect, if things were changed/amiss, then the Kyle from the first 'choose your own adventure' died but the Kyle from the second 'choose your own adventure' didn't -

And - the Kyle from the future came back, and will keep coming back in the 'vicious' circle concept -= i think

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

and remember they are 'trying to change the future' and by that respect, if things were changed/amiss, then the Kyle from the first 'choose your own adventure' died but the Kyle from the second 'choose your own adventure' didn't -
but that opens up a new can of worms - if the future is changed, then why would Kyle visit the past in the 1st place?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I don't know - Ask Mr. Destiny

I think in that movie there were two different futures because of the outcome of one event....

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My head is spinning after reading this thread.

I think I will take the time traveller out tonight and go back in time and invest money in the oil companies. Then I will come back and be rich. But then someone will try to kidnap my kid for ransom. Then I will have to hop in the machine and go back and destroy that person's family so he can't be born. But when I travel back again the world will have changed since that family invented gasoline. I will be riding a horse and not have any money again.

Now look what you have done to me!!!

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was my first theory. Kyle existed in the future because he had not yet went back to save Sarah and died. Saying that the future Kyle lived in Sara was not in danger yet. Or something.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

but that opens up a new can of worms - if the future is changed, then why would Kyle visit the past in the 1st place?
Who says the future (or the past, for that matter) is linear?

There could easily be multiple futures, every little thing that happens has an after effect...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

Because he hadn't been born at the time that he died. He was born sometime in the future. So while he altered her past, he didn't alter his own.

Another factor could be that his death in the past, didn't affect his parents, and it was his parents' union that produced him.

EDIT: It's been ages since I saw that movie. Why was he trying to save this "Sara Connor" anyway?

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Because he hadn't been born at the time that he died. He was born sometime in the future. So while he altered her past, he didn't alter his own.

Another factor could be that his death in the past, didn't affect his parents, and it was his parents' union that produced him.

EDIT: It's been ages since I saw that movie. Why was he trying to save this "Sara Connor" anyway?
Because the terminator was sent from the future to kill her so she wouldn't give birth to John Connor who would grow up to lead the war against the machines.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

My head is spinning after reading this thread.

I think I will take the time traveller out tonight and go back in time and invest money in the oil companies. Then I will come back and be rich. But then someone will try to kidnap my kid for ransom. Then I will have to hop in the machine and go back and destroy that person's family so he can't be born. But when I travel back again the world will have changed since that family invented gasoline. I will be riding a horse and not have any money again.

Now look what you have done to me!!!
Me, three! And I've just read the rest of this thread and it gets WORSE! aaaaaaaaaaaarrgh!