raw chicken

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I put out some frozen chicken to thaw on top of the stove, a place where Skye doesn't and isn't allowed to go. I went into the bedroom to lay down a minute and she normally follows me but she didn't. It had been about an hour when I heard a slight "clink" she had jumped onto the stove and was nibbling on the raw chicken. Will her eating the chicken like that be bad for her health?

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, as you know, for humans, undercooked chicken can pose a health threat. She's probably ok if you saw her right away. But I would make sure she can't do it again. Leave the chicken in the package and thaw it in cold water or put it in the fridge to thaw a day before you want to eat it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

skyecat0117

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Well, as you know, for humans, undercooked chicken can pose a health threat. She's probably ok if you saw her right away. But I would make sure she can't do it again. Leave the chicken in the package and thaw it in cold water or put it in the fridge to thaw a day before you want to eat it.
Ok thanks. I took it and put it into the fridge and clean the area where she drug it off the plate with some clorox so she isn't tempted by the leftover smell. It's odd because I can leave out steak and other things an leave the apartment and she has never touched it.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hey, I have some good news for you. As long as that chicken was fresh it won't hurt her at all. There are people who feed alternative diets to their cats, raw diets because they strongly believe that cats should eat as nature intended. But to feed a raw diet it has to be a balanced diet and you really have to do your research. This is just to let you know a few nibbles of that chicken shouldn't hurt her at all. Cats have short digestive tracts and very strong highly acidic systems. They were actually designed to eat raw meat, especially raw mice. I'll bet you can even find some members of this forum who feed their cats a raw diet. My cats get a prepared raw diet from Feline's Pride www.felinespride.com and some canned food since it's too expensive for me to feed exclusively. Some feed Nature's Variety and some make it themselves by carefully following a balanced recipe. Your cat has just proven she likes raw meat so just in case you're interested in learning more....up to you.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If you are embarking on possibley giving her the raw diet it seems she would like ... TALK with your vet or a animal nutritionist or do yrs of research( okay I have done yrs some do days

pollywog

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you heard of Dr. Pitcarin? He's a DVM and has a PHd. He's been around for almost 30 years. His new book has many recipes for dogs and cats and they all use raw meat. He discusses your concerns in his book and - no worries. I've been feeding my animals the recipes in his book and their health and looks have improved dramatically. The only problem is getting organized. If your are looking for his book just type in his name at Amazon or go to his web site where you can ask him questions. Hope this helps.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pollywog

Have you heard of Dr. Pitcarin? He's a DVM and has a PHd. He's been around for almost 30 years. His new book has many recipes for dogs and cats and they all use raw meat. He discusses your concerns in his book and - no worries. I've been feeding my animals the recipes in his book and their health and looks have improved dramatically. The only problem is getting organized. If your are looking for his book just type in his name at Amazon or go to his web site where you can ask him questions. Hope this helps.
A book is a great REFERENCE IMHO but not a supplement for someone you can actually talk to

meezer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
the problem is that most vets have a knee jerk reaction against raw food.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meezer

the problem is that most vets have a knee jerk reaction against raw food.
I know. I am fortunate that my vet has a practice where raw food is not only accepted, it is encouraged. They even sell the components to make your own and give out recipes. I have Pitcairn's book and it is fantastic.
Doing raw takes some research in order to learn about proper handling and feeding. You may or may not have a progressive vet who is willing to support you. I have been doing it for over 2 years without any issues. I have only seen improvement.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holly's breeder was feeding them a raw food diet, and she was feeding things like beef hearts and other cleaner parts of the animal. Cats are well suited to a raw food diet... I mean, really, have you seen (or felt) their teeth!
As long as the meat is fresh and she didn't get any bones, no problem. The raw food diet isn't for me though, and the cats get wet and dry food.