*****KatKwery! - June 17 - 4 winners!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You guys are starting to figure DW's replies out! I may have to ask her to use a little harder words.
We had four winners yesterday, a record. Silvionc used never, wildfire203 (new player) used seen, rabernet used always and catkiki used wanted. Catkiki was the 12th poster but still managed to use one of the two remaining words! Granted, being one of the first to reply gives an edge but catkiki proved you can still win late in the game. Keep that it mind! The word not used was cost.

Latest KatKwery Standings
Includes through 6/16

Glitch - 5600
Laureen227 - 3500
Whiteforest - 3500
Luvmycat1 – 2800
MuleNag - 2800
Monaxlisa - 2800
Marianjela - 2800
Catkiki - 2800
Kluchetta - 2100
Silvionc - 2100
Zoeysmom - 1400
Rabernet - 1400
Pipersjo - 700
Yam102284 - 700
Wildfile203 - 700

Member names in bold are those who would be in the playoffs if held today. But, like the long baseball season, so is the KatKwery season. With over three months to go and considering we have not seen some of the top scores around lately, even if you have not played before, you can easily get in on the action.

Octoberâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s payout: 102,000

Here are today's cat query questions, based as always on today's KatKwiz.

Did you know about this date (October 16), and what it signified? Had you read this TCS article before? Are you aware of all the valuable information, right here on TCS in the form of informative articles? Have you ever owned a feral cat? Would you take in a feral cat into your household?

Note: KatKwiz is always posted between 6 a.m. and noon, Central Time. KatKwery is always posted between noon and whenever we have a KatKwiz winner.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no clue that October 16 was national feral cat day. I did know that TCS has a plethera of information though. I probably haven't even read half of it.
It would be neat to have a feral cat. The bond between person and cat would be special because they would have to earn the cats trust. That can be very hard to do with ferals.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you know about this date (October 16), and what it signified? Had you read this TCS article before? Are you aware of all the valuable information, right here on TCS in the form of informative articles? Have you ever owned a feral cat? Would you take in a feral cat into your household?
No, I did not know about this date and what it signified before, nor had I read that particular article. I have been in Catsnips, but unfortunately, the day that I was there last week, the site was experiencing major slow downs and it would take up to two full minutes for each article to load, so I got discouraged. Thank you for the reminder of all the great articles in Cat Snips!

I'm slowly learning my way around the site and discovering new hidden gems all over the place - I love this forum!

I have never owned a feral cat - well, supposedly Sammy was a feral kitten captured from his mother, but I adopted him at 10 months old after he had already been socialized by two wonderful, dedicated women who took turns fostering him - so I don't know if that "counts".

If I had the time to dedicate to the animal AND the space, I'd absolutely take in a feral cat or kitten!

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I did not know the signifigance of this date before today, but I have never cared for a feral cat so have never looked for the information. I had not read this particular article, however, I have searched for, and found, other articles that I have read to help me out with a problem. I would definately take a feral into my household if the oppurtunity presented itself, but the only cats that I have running around the neighborhood are the pets of irresponsible owners that just let them run around. I realize that some people will let their cat's outdoors and that is fine for them, but the cats in my neighborhood do not look like they are cared for very well and they are definately not scared of me like a feral most likely would be.

(see, I told you that i would be back!)

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had no clue that October 16th was national feral cat day either. I am most certainly aware that TCS has extensive information not only on feral cat issues but so much more. I had 2 colonies of feral cats when I lived with my mom and we took turns caring for them. One of the mothers was actually very loving and friendly and would cuddle with us, but her babies would watch us from a distance and not even venture within 10 feet from us.

If a situation arose where I had to take a feral cat in, I wouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t hesitate. I love ctas and am willing to help out any way I can.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yes I did! I have not however read the article about feral cats! There is so much valuable information on TCS that I couldn't possibly read it all! Ive had several feral cats that were all very special to me! My last one was named Ki'en (pronounced kitten without the t sound) and she was of course a rescue, she never really got comfortable with anyone but me! The bond was so special it shined! She was in love with me and I was in love with her, I had to work with her for a long time to get her comfortable with even me, slowly feeding her and getting her to trust me, she had obviously been hurt before and she trusted NO ONE! She never gained any trust for my husband at all! I think it was that after a while she gained respect for me and knew I wasn't going to hurt her! Feral cats are great if you have the time to work with them, but they are very challenging! You have to put alot of effort into them!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I had no idea today..err, yesterday was a special day...I'm doing good if I can just keep track of the date

I hadnt read the article before, and it's looking like I might not be aware of all the good info TCS has to offer! I know about a bunch of it, or at least thought I did, but I dont recall seeing that article before. I never have owned a feral cat, I found a cat in the road once (my Munchkin) with a vulture standing over him but by the time we nursed him back to health he never acted wild. Right now I wouldnt take in another cat, feral or tame, Im full up with six plus my big dogs. If I had room, or, well, if it was an emergency situation, yes I'll take in just about any critter that needs me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Persi & Alley;2326677 said:

A feral organism is one that has escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to its wild state.

This is the Wikipedia definition of feral.

Yes, I did know about this date because this was a KatKwiz topic last year. Therefore, I had already read this article. I in fact have read all the articles on TCS. There is much information here that is overlooked. Many questions I see on TCS can be answered by these articles. According to the Wikipedia definition I do own a feral cat (Alley) who had escaped from her home and was rescued from an Alley (really) dumpster where she had been living for quite some time. So, yes I would and have taken in a feral cat. I have reported on her living under the bed when I first got her and her offensive behavior towards Persi and myself. Something about her feral life has made her terribly afraid of everything in this house, she was the same way in the other house and guess she will never get over it.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if feral cats ever truley get over their "wildness". There are some cats in my neighborhood, not sure if they are feral or not. When they see me they take off running but I think one belongs to a neighbor. There are a few ferals in my Mom and Dad neighborhood as well.

mulenag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Had no idea about Oct 16! Cool! I've never read that article before, but I do know that are tons of great resources to be found right here at TCS!!

I guess, according to your definition I am in the process of "owning" a feral cat. Do we ever really own a cat???
We have been calling him Landseer because he is black and white and B/W Newfoundlands are called Landseers. He showed up here one day, but I am really hesistant to call him feral. He is not shy nor timid. We live in the country and "drop-offs", as I call them, happen quite often. My guess is that Landseer was a drop-off since he is so friendly. He even likes the dog. He is welcome to take up residence in one of our out-buildings and if he is here much longer he will go in for the big snip. Our house is about full so at this time another kitty just can't be brought in.

I honestly do not see taking in a feral cat unless they are people and other cat friendly. I'll probably get flamed for that.
Since we have 5 already I can't see brining in a cat that will most likely disturb the peace!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

nope, i didn't know about the date - not surprised to hear there's a special day, tho. never read the article, altho i always research here before elsewhere if i'm looking for new info, so i'm aware of all of the articles - i often refer people w/problems to the associated article. i have a former feral, Firefox - altho, since i took her in @ about 4 weeks of age, i doubt i had the problems involved w/socializing a true feral adult. i wouldn't be averse to taking in a feral - altho, i wouldn't at this time because i'm at my 'cat limit'. i also would prefer if i had an extra room to house any feral i brought in [other than my 1 bathroom - which is where Firefox spent her 1st week or so].
if i had the facilities, i'd love to foster pregnant cats - but i don't, so i don't.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I havent been around for awhile, and I'm chiming in late today, but I'll give this a shot

I never knew there was a Feral Cat Day, let alone the date, but you learn something new every day - which is why I love this site!
I've ventured over to the cat snips side many times in the past, and love browsing the topics, but dont think I have read that particular article before.

I've never owned or fostered a feral cat before, but nearly a decade ago, before my TCS days obviously, I blindly brought in a VERY stray pregnant cat. Didnt know one thing about this girl except that she was HUGE. I didnt have any cats at the time so I didnt have to worry about social diseases or parasites, but if I did have a cat, I dont think I was as aware back then.

Now we foster strays from our local shelter, and even though they are checked over by a vet before they are fostered out, I worry sometimes about exposing my resident cats to anything. Last year we fostered a momma cat, her kittens and some stow-away orphan kittens she was feeding. Turned out the orphans had ear mites, luckily they were confined to my room and it was contained... but I guess life happens sometimes, so I tend to get concerned sometimes, but the fostering experience is very rewarding and I think it was a rare instance that the orphans made it out of that shelter without a once over first.

Guess I went on enough. I'll try to "see ya" tomorrow!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Note: KatKwiz is always posted between 6 a.m. and noon, Central Time. KatKwery is always posted between noon and whenever we have a KatKwiz winner.
Thanks for the points! It is amazing that in just the past couple of days, I have gotten so many points! Being that I have to post the KatKwery answers after I get home from work, just about this time.. LOL

I never knew what this date signified and was unaware of the article. I have read a couple of the articles though I need to read more. My RB girl, Kiki was born a feral kitty. The people downstairs had a cat that disappeared and came home with a litter of 4 or 5 babies toddling behind her. Kiki was one of those kittens. A couple of the kittens disappeared and Kiki and her brother remained. I tried and tried to make friends to no avail. A couple of weeks later, Kiki's brother was killed by a car. She was now alone since Mama had disappeared again. I slowly made friends with her. After awhile, she became an indoor/outdoor cat. I tamed her but my DH stole her heart. She came with us through several moves. She became a totally indoor cat and totally loved us. We lost Kiki about 6 yrs ago to kidney failure. She was about 20 yrs old at the time. My screen name is a tribute to her.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

Thanks for the points! It is amazing that in just the past couple of days, I have gotten so many points! Being that I have to post the KatKwery answers after I get home from work, just about this time.. LOL

I never knew what this date signified and was unaware of the article. I have read a couple of the articles though I need to read more. My RB girl, Kiki was born a feral kitty. The people downstairs had a cat that disappeared and came home with a litter of 4 or 5 babies toddling behind her. Kiki was one of those kittens. A couple of the kittens disappeared and Kiki and her brother remained. I tried and tried to make friends to no avail. A couple of weeks later, Kiki's brother was killed by a car. She was now alone since Mama had disappeared again. I slowly made friends with her. After awhile, she became an indoor/outdoor cat. I tamed her but my DH stole her heart. She came with us through several moves. She became a totally indoor cat and totally loved us. We lost Kiki about 6 yrs ago to kidney failure. She was about 20 yrs old at the time. My screen name is a tribute to her.
That is so sweet!! I never could figure out your name, guess I should have asked!!