Update: Crazy Attack Kitten now attacking me!

michellem

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OK - So I seperated my kitten from the older cat last night keeping the kitten with me and leaving the rest of the house to Marley. I keep his food, water and litter box in the bathroom attached to the bedroom just incase a time out would be needed. Marley never sleeps with me so I thought she would prefer to have more space. So around 4am, instead of attacking her as he usually does, he attacked me! Jumped on my head, bit my head, face, nose and any other body part that was not covered by the blankets. I yelled no at him and pushed him off the bed as fast as I could hoping to scare him. He came right back up and attacked even harder. So I had to put him into time out. (This is what he does to Marley at 4am too). After about an hour in the bathroom with the lights out (to calm him down), I let him out, he was purring and rubbing all over me and the furniture so I figured he would behave so I brought him up on the bed with me. We then played our game of chase the feet under the sheets for about 10 minutes. I do this every night when I bring him into bed to exercise him, tire him out and have him associate the bed with happy thoughts so he"ll sleep there with me. This time I went back to sleep with the covers over my head and arms as a safety precaution. Well, about a half hour later he managed to find an inch of my lower back that peeked out from the covers and attacked that with some hard bites. He went back into time out. I think he is just playing but it really hurts and my face now has three bloody teeth marks on it. He never scratches or retracts his claws, it's just from his teeth.

He's such a cool, confident little guy and I will not get rid of him. I realize now that it's not Marley that drives him crazy - he's just crazy! The major problem is he's really not afraid of anything! I have taken him on walks with a leash before and he's great outside. He's great in the car and actually is a cuddler when he's in situations where he gets a ton of stimulation. He has learned how to give kisses for treats after only two days of training
. He's really smart but he just snaps sometimes. My vet gave me this medicine called composure liquid after I took him for the check up and he attacked her and me. She said to give him just 1/4 of a teaspoon with his am and pm meals. I only did it once and he was a real good boy afterwards, letting me pet him and rub his belly (which he never does) but I didn't want to medicate my cat in order for him to behave. I want him to be a good boy on his own accord but maybe I will have to try the composure liquid again just with feeding before nighttime. Anyone else ever have to deal with a little monster like this and does it get better? My cousins adopted two feral kittens as well when they were very young and they said they were very naughty until they were a little over a year, but they never bit them. I called the shelter to get more information on how he was turned in to them, hoping to learn a little more about why he's behaiving like this. They said he was a lone stray walking the streets of Chicago by himself before being brought to the shelter. I don't know if he was a true feral or maybe someone else had him and they brought him into the shelter because he did the same thing to them.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Let me say up front that I have absolutely no first-hand experience with a situation like this, so I don't know how much stock you ought to put in my post.

If I were you, I would immediately stop the "chase the feet under the sheets" game, at least until he ages and settles down somewhat.

You said that you're doing this so that the kitten will "associate the bed with happy thoughts so he"ll sleep there" with you. But since cats tend to not play and sleep in the same areas, I don't believe that this is the way your kitten will think. I think it's much more likely that he will conclude that the bed is a place for play, which, in his own kitten way, is probably what he was attempting to do at 4:00 in the morning. This is behavior that you are seeking to avoid. And if he's smart enough to recognize that those are your body parts under the sheets, he will begin to consider parts of your body to be playthings, which is also something that should be deterred.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

I think it's much more likely that he will conclude that the bed is a place for play, which, in his own kitten way, is probably what he was attempting to do at 4:00 in the morning. This is behavior that you are seeking to avoid. And if he's smart enough to recognize that those are your body parts under the sheets, he will begin to consider parts of your body to be playthings, which is also something that should be deterred.
i agree. he'll calm down some w/age & neutering... but he may always be a 'high energy' cat.
if you want to tire him out, play w/him before you get into bed. i think adding the composure to the evening meal is a good idea. you can try w/holding it when he gets older & is neutered.