Oh no... here we go...

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think I've run into another pet.

When I came home tonight I saw a set of very large ears peeking up over a mauled bag of trash.

It looked to be a cat- not a kitten, but a cat... so boy was I surprised when a tiny little kitten with MASSIVE EARS bolted across my drive and tried to hide in the grass. The grass isn't all that tall, so I tracked it down and when it didn't run, reached towards- finally, after I scratched the ears, it mustered up the courage to go run and hide behind the Ranger's old tires (STILL waiting for little brother to pick those up).

Nabbed it and brought it in the house.
Couldn't resist... looked hungry, those ears are IRRESISTIBLE and it's supposed to storm like mad tonight. Kitten is currently in my dog's crate.

I guess I'm off to Walmart to buy a litterbox and some kitten food so that I can loose the little monster in the bathroom for a few days and see how it does.

I didn't think to check gender until I had released it into the crate, and now that it has its courage back it's all so much hissing and spitting...
It's a white and gray tabby!

So here's a question- those of you who rent with more than two cats- how did you find a place that would accept your whole crew? I only have the very small dog (and now this kitten, it seems) and a couple of caged pets, but boyfriend has a cat as well and when he moves in we'll have the two cats and one very small dog.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't forget to pick up some wet food! Nothing wins kittens over quicker then stinky canned food.
If you don't think you'll be able to pick him/her up again you could post a very clear picture of the face and I could probably tell you if you have a boy or girl.

As for renting, if you're worried about the place you're currently in you should inquire with them and make sure to clear everything up so that you don't find yourself in trouble later.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can post a clear photo of the kittens back end, I'd do better at telling it's sex than posting a photo of its front end...

Most places that accept pets should be ok at accepting 3 animals if they accept 2 - you may just have to either pay a higher deposit, or do some negotiating with them.

And if you buy some of this Gerber baby food, and mix it in with the tinned food, the kitten will love you forever!

Don't forget to put signs up just in case he is owned and just escaped

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not worried about the place I'm currently with. I'm allowed the dog and one other animal (other than caged, which don't count towards the total) so the kitten is fine. My lease is up in September and I'll be moving.

The limit is two pets in my current place.

In whatever new place we wind up in, we will have three.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We paid a higher deposit and made a deal to have 4 Cats. It was hard to find a place to take 4 Cats. My Sister has 6 Pets but they do not know about the G Pigs. They know she has 2 Cats and a Rat.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

If you can post a clear photo of the kittens back end, I'd do better at telling it's sex than posting a photo of its front end...
If the little one doesn't have a hissy fit in the process.

Actually after they're a few weeks old, 7 or so, male kittens start getting a few "masculine" features to their faces - longer faces, slightly wider noses and spaced eyes. Females tend to look like they have shorter smaller noses and more delicate features. Very good for guessing a cat or kitten's sex who won't let you within even a few yards of them.

...strangely some similar feature characteristics apply to some species of lizards - or at least I see them and can guess by the face alone.

Good luck with your new little one Jenje.
And just ask around as to what the rules for places are - I suggest you start looking now if you haven't already as it will be September and time to move out before you know it.

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the best I can do, for now, in way of pictures. The crate is in a corner of the dining room and partially covered in cloth, so not good for lighting. I didn't want to move it or turn on the flash.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You weren't kidding about the ears!
The picture quality is rough - but with the ears and face I'd say boy and about 6-7 weeks old (or maybe a straggly 8). Add KMR to your shopping list as the extra nutrients will help and don't be surprised if you find another kitten as there should be a mother cat around for one that young.

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Actually no- it's a girl!

She's already tamed down a lot- all bark, no bite- and is snoozing on me at the moment.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^Really? Must be young then.
She probably misses her momma and obviously found a new, albeit less furry, one.

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is just too cute. Very wary of anything but slow, slow motion.

I haven't decided if I'll keep her yet or not... there is also a great animal shelter in town, run by one of my favorite vets. I'll have to talk to my boyfriend in the AM.

asmileforonlyu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Due to the picture, I'd have said 7 week old female, woot I'm good =] Good luck with the little cutie! (love the ears hehe!)

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I took the little tyke to my grandmother this morning.

Her cat has been alone for a while and could use company.
So it worked out well. The only problem is, by the time I got her out there... she was attached to me... and it was very hard to leave her.

But now I'll be able to see her whenever. Good compromise!

purrrplej

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jenje!

I took the little tyke to my grandmother this morning.

Her cat has been alone for a while and could use company.
So it worked out well. The only problem is, by the time I got her out there... she was attached to me... and it was very hard to leave her.

But now I'll be able to see her whenever. Good compromise!
Glad things worked out! Hope the kitty enjoys her new home!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those ears are hilarious. I am glad you were able to get her a home that you can visit. Plus kittens get so lonely and love company. What a cutie though.

jenje!

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's named her SALLY. I liked my name so much better! :p

She LOVES her, thinks she's just the sweetest thing ever... but then her last two cats have been evil, horrible things. Nasty. The current one is older and was owned by an elderly lady with Downs Syndrome. Her mother is my grandmother's friend, and when the two could no longer live together grandma adopted the cat so that her owner would know she had a good home. She is a vile, aggressive thing- will attack you out of nowhere- and we're working on it, but she's more or less living out her days with my grandmother. She has been banished to the back room for a few days to give the kitten a chance to get her bearings around the house before they have to really deal with each other.

othie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
aww she is cute. She reminds me of our little one who we pretty much did the same thing with, only he followed our older cat right into the house in the morning
We ended up naming ours "yoda" because of his ears