Leaving the boys with "Grandma"

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
DH got a job on the other side of the state for the summer. I went to the in-laws with the cats (an hour or two from his job) and planned to find a job here. Well, no such luck, but while visiting him over the weekend I was offered a job. The only problem is that we couldn't bring the kitties with us. MIL is willing to watch them for the rest of summer, but I feel terribly guilty. Gus is on allergy trials and needs his poos monitored daily, so he can't mingle with all the other cats. We have one more and the in-laws have two, so it'd be too difficult to tell who's who in the litter box. Both of our cats will have to be confined to one room overnight and part of the day, and able to roam the main floor of the house for a few hours a day. I don't know what to do to make sure they're happy for the next two months. I so torn up about it I'm considering not taking the job, even though we could really use the money. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Any suggestions?

judi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The kitties will have each other which should give them some security. You are lucky that you have some where to leave them.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the plan after the next two months are over? Will it be worth it in the long run?
I'm sure your two will manage - will you be able to check up on them regularly?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
After two months are up we'll be going back home and back to school.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So life, for the most part, should go back to normal for them. As Judi said, you are lucky to have someone to watch them for you.
Does your MIL know the full extent of medical care/watch that Gus will need? Just make sure she's clear on that and so she doesn't complain later when she finds out what she has to do.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Does your MIL know the full extent of medical care/watch that Gus will need? Just make sure she's clear on that and so she doesn't complain later when she finds out what she has to do.
I've told her already just because I'm staying here, and she has always had a habit of giving them people food treats (even when I give her a "look") and I can't have Gus getting a handful of chicken and ending up sick kind of deal. Also, she seems to have done well over the weekend. The boxes were scooped when I got home, and they seemed to have been fed like I asked. But still, Dh and I still don't fully trust her to look after them like we would. (Then again we treat the cats like little princes.)

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
isn't there any place you can live with the cats at the new job? My mom treats our two cats like they are her grandchildren since she doesnt have have 'real' ones
If feeding people food causes poo probs I bet she stops that right away. let her know how much youlove them and maybe she will too. I hope it all works out.

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She definitely knows how spoiled they are. She thinks we're nuts! Unfortunately, we will be staying in a comp'd room on the resort where we're working so there's not really the option to find another place to live. Finding a cheap place just doesn't compare to free when you're trying to save money.

emmylou

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Other people aren't going to take care of your cats in the exact same way you do, it's true. But so long as the cat-sitters are responsible and well intentioned, as they are in this case, then they'll be fine. I often have this thought when I go away that it'll be a disaster if my cat isn't cared for with the same routine I use, but then I get back and he's happy as a clam.