drowning in kitten poop

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm caring for a stray kitten about 5 weeks old. He has chronic diarrhea because he's still adjusting to the kitten food. The vet suggested not changing the food now because it'll just create a new problem and that he'll soon adjust to the food. The bigger problem is that he doesn't seem to have any interest in using the litter box. When I put him in it he knows what to do, but he never seeks it out. In most cases (when I can't place him in the box) he just poops wherever he's sitting at the time. I don't know what to do. I'm thinking he can't make it in time because of the diarrhea. Beyond that, I'm clueless why he refuses to litter train. Please help! I appreciate all and any advice.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you using a regular litterbox or a low-sided pan (think tossable aluminium)? We used a lowsided pan until the girls were 8 wks old.

How big is your place? You may need one in each room he has access to until he gets bigger.

And he's just a baby, still learning and then having to deal with diarrhea! I bet it is better in a week - though a week seems like a long time wn you are cleaning up poop all the time!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
there's a good chance that the main problem is the diarrhea - it's hard for humans to retain control when we have it, so why not kitties?
is he well hydrated? diarrhea can lead to dehydration very quickly, & kittens can go downhill fast. did the vet not give any anti-diarrheal meds? mine has when i've had 'loose poop' issues...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a 'starter' pan. He's quite a climber and has no problem getting out. I've never seen him try to get in, but it seems shallow enough for little legs.

I like your idea of a pan in every room. He seems to find a spot he likes, then after we get it cleaned up he finds a new spot. Pretty soon every inch of my apartment will have been pooped on.

How long do kittens generally take to learn to get into the box? Apparently a week is not long enough.

My husband has been an absolute saint about poop duty (doody.) I try to get most of it cleaned up, but then he spent Saturday getting up the stains I left behind. I'm a lucky woman. Thanks for the help and encouragement. At this point I really needed the encouragement.

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

there's a good chance that the main problem is the diarrhea - it's hard for humans to retain control when we have it, so why not kitties?
is he well hydrated? diarrhea can lead to dehydration very quickly, & kittens can go downhill fast. did the vet not give any anti-diarrheal meds? mine has when i've had 'loose poop' issues...
The vet checked for dehydration and he was fine then. I've been watering down the soft kitten food. Plus we're giving water via a syringe. I haven't seen him drink from the bowl yet. I don't think he knows how. But I have seen him urinate when I've placed him in the box. Also, he passes the 'scruff' test.

The vet also gave me two medicines for deworming. She said one of them should help to firm up the poop. I'm thinking I should call back since we're still having a problem.

Thank you for your concern.

kai bengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put him on Bene-Bac, for 5 days. Should help a great deal with firming up his stools. It's easy to administer with a syringe (no needle) and most don't mind the taste.

kimbo399

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

Put him on Bene-Bac, for 5 days. Should help a great deal with firming up his stools. It's easy to administer with a syringe (no needle) and most don't mind the taste.
Thanks. I'll try that. I read pumpkin helps too. I was so proud because last night I watched him climb into the litter box on his own and poop (which he promptly stepped in.) But of course this morning I have 3 new spots to clean up.