TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › First Vet visit...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Vet visit...

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello everyone!
I am not sure if this is the right section to post this...
Ok so I am taking my lil Kizzi Moore to the Vet today for the first time. I have never taken my other cat (digby) to the vet, because he is an outsde cat and my mom never wanted to take him because of $$ issues.
But now that we have Kizzi Moore, she wants to get her checked out and everything. As I said this will be our first visit and I do not know what to expect. What do they do to kittens the first visit? Should I be worried? Do i have to prepare Kizzi for it?
Any advice would be greately appreciated.
post #2 of 13
They're probably going to do a general physical exam to make sure there are no outward signs of illness. Depending on your new kitty's age, the vet will probably recommend vaccinations. Vets are usually really nice. If money is an issue for you, which I know it can be for me, I know there is a way to get low cost vaccinations at your local participating Petco. If you got to luvmypet.com it gives you all the info on the dates, locations, and which vaccinations they offer.

It would probably be a good idea if you got your outdoor kitty vaccinated and tested for feline diseases since she spends so much of her time outside. The prices are very reasonable and all shots are administrated by a Vet. Hopefully they do it somewhere near you since it's definitely worth it.
post #3 of 13
there also may be a low-cost spay/neuter clinic near you. check out this website for info: spayUSA they also do low-cost vax.
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Hello! So Kizzi's first Vet visit went well. I took her to Banfield Veterinary Hospital at my local Petsmart. The VEt was really nice and answered all of my questions. Just the Tech was kinda rough with her. After he took her temperature (very roughly), she kept crying after that, and now she gets scared when i try to wipe her behind off or after i give her a bath. Is that normal? Also I have to get a Poop sample when i go with her for her shots in two weeks... How do i transport the sample? In a little baggie??
Ahh i am soo lost, I love Kizzi and I hate to see her scared or in pain.
post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondpierogi View Post
Hello! So Kizzi's first Vet visit went well. I took her to Banfield Veterinary Hospital at my local Petsmart. The VEt was really nice and answered all of my questions. Just the Tech was kinda rough with her. After he took her temperature (very roughly), she kept crying after that, and now she gets scared when i try to wipe her behind off or after i give her a bath. Is that normal? Also I have to get a Poop sample when i go with her for her shots in two weeks... How do i transport the sample? In a little baggie??
Ahh i am soo lost, I love Kizzi and I hate to see her scared or in pain.
please can someone answer my previous question???
i would greately appreciate it. thanx.
post #6 of 13
pepe hates the bum temp thing too give him a week or something it should stop if not talk to your vet about it and tell them how you feel about the person who did it to the poor cat. (I wouldn't like something shoved up my bum either )

Plus I would ask the vet about the stool sample on how to transport it
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondpierogi View Post
now she gets scared when i try to wipe her behind off or after i give her a bath. Is that normal? Also I have to get a Poop sample when i go with her for her shots in two weeks... How do i transport the sample? In a little baggie??
Ahh i am soo lost, I love Kizzi and I hate to see her scared or in pain.
well, that last is true of all of us!
she was probably still just a bit sore from the probe. none of mine like it much, either.
i've never transported a stool sample - the vet usually manually removes a bit of stool if a sample is needed.
post #8 of 13
Yeah... a Ziploc bag will do the trick. If you turn the bag inside out, grab the stool, and then turn it right side out, you'll get it inside the bag without having to touch it.... Hopefully that made sense. lol

Good luck!
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianna View Post
Yeah... a Ziploc bag will do the trick. If you turn the bag inside out, grab the stool, and then turn it right side out, you'll get it inside the bag without having to touch it.... Hopefully that made sense. lol

Good luck!
And try to get the freshest [most recent] sample.

If you have more than one cat/kitten using the box, like I do, you can put her in a separate room with a litter box the night before and keep her there until you leave. This way you are guaranteed the sample matches the cat.
post #10 of 13
I do the zip lock sandwich bag - usually doubled - for the stool sample. Since mine invariably decide to poo at least 12 hours before the vet appointment, I also refrigerate the bag. What we do for our babies!

I'd mention your question about her reaction to the thermometer probe - subtly letting the vet know that perhaps the vet tech perhaps needs a little refresher.
post #11 of 13
Thread Starter 
Great!
Thank you everyone!
I will use a double zip lock bag, hopefully that will work..
Kizzi is still sore and still hissing and crying everytime someone approches her behind, I will talk to the Vet about the Tech.

Thank you again!!
post #12 of 13
Awww! She is a sweet-looking baby! I hope her first experience at the vet was not too unpleasant and that she will not be scared to go next time. I had to take my three kittens to the vet 2xs their first week with me because they had diarrhea, then again a couple weeks later for their first shots. They don't like being in the carrier in the car, but as soon as I open it in the vet's office they're happy. They have all actually fallen asleep in the vet's office every time!
I had to take a stool samply when they had diarrhea, and I just scooped it gently out of the litter box on a 3x5 card and slid that into a ziploc bag. Then I refrigerated it to keep it as fresh as possible. My vet tech said they'd like to have it from the last 3 hours, but that's tough if your appointment is in the morning. (Mine like to go at night when I'm not around!) I've read elsewhere that if you refrigerate the stool sample it can last 12 hours. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Cream View Post
My vet tech said they'd like to have it from the last 3 hours, but that's tough if your appointment is in the morning. (Mine like to go at night when I'm not around!) I've read elsewhere that if you refrigerate the stool sample it can last 12 hours. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
Or they could be like mine and poop all over the back seat in the car on the way. Then it's nice and fresh!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › First Vet visit...