Cat Food, want to know what you are feeding your cat?

crofty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Its so scary when you read articles about what really goes into the food we feed our cats. I have read alot of hideous information on cat food and have been horrified at what they really put into some of the most popular brands of cat food.

Makesure you read the ingredients!

What you should look at is
NO corn NO gluten NO soya NO beet NO garlic NO onion NO wheat NO dairy.
YOU MUST HAVE TAURINE in there whether it is added or natural!!!! If there is a high natural chicken content including offal you will probably have enough occurance naturally.

Very interesting read

http://messybeast.com/cat-food-industry.htm

Toxic Food very scary

http://www.azmira.com/ToxicFoods.htm

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just about all dry foods will have some corn or gluten in them. I see nothing wrong with it. A combo of wet and dry food is best for most cats.

We feed Royal Canin - Urinary and a variety of canned foods (Max Cat, Iams, and Natural Balance.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will FIND many on here have done the research or are learning about foods....

I am with Goldenkitty on the gluten ... it is a plant protein and in MOST cases is not a issue but a extra source ... I currently feed grain free and thus avoid them in my house due to allergies

Taurine NEEDS to be added IN ANY cooked food ... that is a common misnomer ohh the meat has it...

Many here only feed offals ( organs ) in wet food or a homemade diet
... I would NOT buy a dry ( biscuits) food HIGH in organ meat for it may cause issues with %s of vitamins ...

the messybeast is a very good read you can learn alot ...

the second link is a company that USES many of what you claim should not be used ...

thechangingman

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
good read!

being relatively new to cat ownership i started using the garbage our first breeder fed their cats only to quickly realise 4% meat was a complete joke,

now everything is 75% meat ( the rest being water and rice ) and all the dry food is as good as it gets...

problem is its 4 - 10 times the price so i'm sure its hard for many ( especially those with more than 1 cat!! ) to justify the cost...

Education is also pretty low - the companies selling garbage have the money to advertise on TV and vets take their nice cut of the Hills muck ( over here ) so people take for granted its good if the vet recommends it

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crofty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Just about all dry foods will have some corn or gluten in them. I see nothing wrong with it. A combo of wet and dry food is best for most cats.

We feed Royal Canin - Urinary and a variety of canned foods (Max Cat, Iams, and Natural Balance.
No they dont, all the crappy ones do. I feed betula and Alfie Orijen or theres http://www.organipets.co.uk/index.php?cPath=22

As the ingredients on any food product are listed in the order from most to least content so when the first line on an ingredient list on a bag/can of cat food is "Cereals" or Meat and Animal Derivatives" then you know that this is what makes up the bulk of the food.

A cat should have a meat based diet, cereals are used in abundance by manufacturers. They will inform you that they are an excellent source of necessary dietary fibre and carbohydrate. Of course this is true but some products contain up to 80% cereals! The use of cereals in a pet food is an alternative to more expensive ingredients. Cereals are generally described as "bulking agents". A bulking agent is an ingredient that provides a lot of bulk but has little nutritional value and is very cheap.

Did you also know IAMs tests on animals...

http://www.stopanimaltests.com/animalFood.asp
http://www.uncaged.co.uk/iams.htm

Betula was on Felix (horrendous) and royal canin when i adopted her and she was prone to an upset tummy which she had when i got her... took me 6 weeks to wean her onto natures menu and oijen and she been great ever since. It is scary what you find out when you start looking into food. The longterm effects of a bad diet in a cat leads to all sorts of medical problems and can be fatal.

crofty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by thechangingman

good read!

being relatively new to cat ownership i started using the garbage our first breeder fed their cats only to quickly realise 4% meat was a complete joke,

now everything is 75% meat ( the rest being water and rice ) and all the dry food is as good as it gets...

problem is its 4 - 10 times the price so i'm sure its hard for many ( especially those with more than 1 cat!! ) to justify the cost...

Education is also pretty low - the companies selling garbage have the money to advertise on TV and vets take their nice cut of the Hills muck ( over here ) so people take for granted its good if the vet recommends it
The vets are taught nutrition by the HILLs reps!! Its all commision based and it makes me so cross!! I found Natures menu to be the best, you can buy 48 pouches for £18, personally im willing to pay more to ensure my cats health and well being.

crofty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

You will FIND many on here have done the research or are learning about foods....

I am with Goldenkitty on the gluten ... it is a plant protein and in MOST cases is not a issue but a extra source ... I currently feed grain free and thus avoid them in my house due to allergies

Taurine NEEDS to be added IN ANY cooked food ... that is a common misnomer ohh the meat has it...

Many here only feed offals ( organs ) in wet food or a homemade diet
... I would NOT buy a dry ( biscuits) food HIGH in organ meat for it may cause issues with %s of vitamins ...

the messybeast is a very good read you can learn alot ...

the second link is a company that USES many of what you claim should not be used ...
Oh the toxic food article? thats interesting, i think with any of the articles you have read with an open mind and draw your own conclusion, i just thought they were interesting.

As for dry food, i personally dont like it, my cats have a small handful of orijen to nibble on dueing the day, Betula is a retired queen i adopted and thats what shes used to.

I'll have a look at the link to that thread someone kindly posted, im really interested in cat food ever since i got my bengal betula.

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
After a read I'm ready to switch foods. I like the look of Orijen but the closest vendor is one hour from here. With gas at $1.40 and an environmentally friendly mind we drive very little. This food is in town. Could I get some opinions on it. I used to have my cats on it before we moved. We stopped feeding it for the same reason I do not want to switch to Orijen. The travel. We are now back in that area and could easily switch back. The ingredients seem pretty darn decent, but I am no expert. Here is the link.

http://www.nutrience.com/english-eu/cat/c-2033_holistic_3kg.html

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Orijen is good but I bet you did not know it has a form of corn in it
... it is corn silk and they use it as a "herb" ...

Chris horse ( forgive me if I spelled that wrong)

http://www.nutrience.com/english-eu/...istic_3kg.html
HOLISTIC
Alternative maintenance
STAGE OF LIFE:

Maitenance, beginning of gestation (0-6 weeks), drying-up, breeding
1 year and over
INGREDIENTS:

Duck meal (28.0%) this is a RICH RICH meat and some cannot handle it but
it is good , brown rice Great grain but whole grains are HARD TO DIGEST especially if you are a obligate carnivore , whole barleyThis has the same gluten as wheat ... and YES THE WHOLE grain HAS GLUTEN ( gluten is a protein part of the grain , ground riceDO like this as it is the MOST digestable form and most digestable grain... not happy that it is not the only grain//, chicken fatGood source of digestable fat and high in omega fats , soy protein concentrateHIGH allergen and has been linked in some studies to thyroid issues , whole oatsthis is a good grain but that means 4 grains and one meat , sunflower oilomega six source , flaxseed mealomega 3 source but also a UNUSABLE source ... OIL is best , chicken flavourDOES NOT say NATURAL and could contain all kinds of chemical agents , DL-methionineGREAT for UTI health this is a synthetic version, amino acid like the methothine but it aids with immune function, yeast extract NOT specified , HIGH allergen but often a good source of B vitamins, dried cranberries, dried apples, dried blueberries, dried carrots,not terribley usuable in these forms IMHO more for human touchy feely
.. chicory root extract, PREBIOTIC dehydrated spinach, tomato powder, parsley, dried honey, mint leaves, dehydrated alfalfa mealALLERGEN and TUMMY upset causer in many, dried corn syrup,SUGAR yucca schidigera extractPrebiotic, herbs (0.15%) (dried rosemary, dried thyme, dried oregano, dried fenugreek, dried fennel), dried cayenne, dried ginger. NOT nessersary and some are KNOWN to cause tummy issues ...
GUARANTEED ANALYSIS:
Crude protein min. \t27.3 % this is low actually a good level for a senior with early kidney issues
Crude fat min. \t17.2 %reasonable and normal
Crude fiber max. \t2.6 %
Moisture max. \t9.6 %
Ash max. \t6.2 %
Copper \t25 mg/kg
Iron \t250 mg/kg
Selenium \t0.25 mg/kg
Maganese \t45 mg/kg
Omega 6 fatty acids \t2.5 %
Omega 3 fatty acids \t0.35 %
LOW end of what I find good but normal
Vitamin A min. \t25,200 I.U./kg
Vitamin D3 min. \t1,650 I.U./kg
Vitamin E min. \t115 I.U./kg
Vitamin C min. \t52 mg/kg
FEEDING DIRECTIONS

Your adult cat should eat only the amount of NUTRIENCE HOLISTIC ADULT CAT ALTERNATIVE MAINTENANCE required to maintain optimum body weight. A cat of average weight (7 lb / 3 kg) will consume about 2/3 cup/day. You are feeding the right amount if you can feel the ribs without feeling too much fat. We recommend the free-choice method of feeding ensuring that sufficient food is available at all times or for controlled portions, feed daily portion in two equal meals, one half in the morning and the other half at night.
RECOMMENDED FEEDING PORTIONS
Weight of the Cat \tgrams/day \tcup(s)/day
(kg) \t(lbs) \t \t
1 - 3 \t2 - 6.6 \t30 - 65 \t1/4 - 2/3
3 - 5 \t6.6 - 11 \t65 - 100 \t2/3 - 3/4
5 - 7 \t11 - 15.5 \t100 - 130 \t3/4 - 1
7 - 10 \t15.5 - 22 \t130 - 170 \t1 - 1 1/4

1 cup (250 ml - 8 oz) = 130 grams
ENERGY:

Metabolisable energy (ME Kcal/kg as served): 3550
Why should cats eat NUTRIENCE HOLISTIC ALTERNATIVE MAINTENECE ADULT CAT FOOD?

* Duck meal: a high quality hypoallergenic source of protein.
* Chicken fat and sunflower oil: high quality sources of linoleic and arachidonic essential unsaturated fatty acids, which promotes well-conditioned skin and a shiny coat.
* Lecithin: provides a high level of linoleic Omega 6 essential fatty acids and contributes to fat digestion.
* Optimal levels of magnesium and urine acidifiers, which help prevent the development of calculi (stones) in the bladder.
* M.O.S. (Mannanoligosaccharides) helps maintain a healthy gut.
* F.O.S. (Fructo-oligosaccharides) exclusive nutrient source for “good” bacteria, in association with M.O.S., produces a synergetic effect favouring healthy intestinal microflora.
* Contains chelated minerals for optimum assimilation of certain special mineral compounds.
* A special mix of herbs, vegetables and fruit is added for optimum performance.
* Yucca schidigera lowers the production of ammonia in the stool and decreases offensive odours.
* Flaxseed meal contains excellent source of essential omega 3 fatty acids for improved coat condition.
* Vitamin C added for extra immune support.

Available in:
1.5 kg - 3.3 lb
3 kg - 6.6 lb
6 kg - 13.2 lb
15 kg - 33 lb
\tRosemary Mint Parsley Ginger Green Tea Fenugreek
\tYucca Schidigera Fennel Cayenne Pepper Thyme Spinach Cranberry
\tTomato Chicory Carrots Blueberries
\tDuck Dental Management Complex Intestinal Health Urinary pH Control

plar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Eat what your cat enjoys eating and doesn't get sick on. It's a cat, leave it at that.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by plar

Eat what your cat enjoys eating and doesn't get sick on. It's a cat, leave it at that.
I am not being cross, but that's like saying "I like chocolate, so it must be good for me." And 99% of people on here want to give their cats the very best that they can, so that they can have a long healthy life. Cats love foods with byproducts in them, but did you know that byproducts can have tumors, euthinized CATS AND DOGS, infected/cancerous flesh, feet, pus, heads, fur, and plenty of other things that have no nutritional value and BYPRODUCTS are the FIRST ingredient in thousands of grocery store cat foods? Please do your kittys a favor and read some of the articles posted here!

chrishorse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
omg that is quite yucky!!

Thank you for the super informative response. Seems to me, you think nutrience is okay, but not great due to some questionable ingredients. I do have 5 cats that love the stuff though. My youngest cat, Orange-face is officially obese at about 19 pounds. All the weight came on after starting with Iams (before I knew of the animal testing. I'm an animal loving vegetarian so I threw it out the moment I saw the video) and then what seemed like a high quality affordable grocery store brand. Before Iams all 5 cats had been on nutrience Holistic all along. We found they ate less, and barfed a lot less also. My black cats also have very noticeable dandruff now. They did not have this while on nutrience. I may have to switch back until I am able to find something of the highest quality closer to my area.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
many of the more premium foods' websites have store locators... you might want to check out those you're interested in.
also, online ordering is available - not sure how it'd work for Nova Scotia, but you could check...
petfooddirect.com

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats enjoy Purina. I enjoy McDonals. Neither of us are eating what we really want.

Things like corn help with urinary tract health issues, which I have an abundance of. As much as I don't like it, I opt for foods with corn in it in hopes of helping with the UTI issues.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

My cats enjoy Purina. I enjoy McDonals. Neither of us are eating what we really want.

Things like corn help with urinary tract health issues, which I have an abundance of. As much as I don't like it, I opt for foods with corn in it in hopes of helping with the UTI issues.
OMG, I LOVE that analogy! I've recently managed to transition to grain free dry food, and I'll tell you, there's almost NO poopies in the litter box. From FIVE cats!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

OMG, I LOVE that analogy! I've recently managed to transition to grain free dry food, and I'll tell you, there's almost NO poopies in the litter box. From FIVE cats!!!
i wish mine liked any of the grain frees i tried

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ChrisHorse

omg that is quite yucky!!

Thank you for the super informative response. Seems to me, you think nutrience is okay, but not great due to some questionable ingredients. I do have 5 cats that love the stuff though. My youngest cat, Orange-face is officially obese at about 19 pounds. All the weight came on after starting with Iams (before I knew of the animal testing. I'm an animal loving vegetarian so I threw it out the moment I saw the video) and then what seemed like a high quality affordable grocery store brand. Before Iams all 5 cats had been on nutrience Holistic all along. We found they ate less, and barfed a lot less also. My black cats also have very noticeable dandruff now. They did not have this while on nutrience. I may have to switch back until I am able to find something of the highest quality closer to my area.
It is very decent ... truly a premium food...

Do you have Orijen sister Acana avail???

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

i wish mine liked any of the grain frees i tried
I started with Artemis, for several months, then went to Taste of the Wild. There are fruits & veggies in it, but no grain...