Anyone been in a Muslim country during Ramadan?

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm going to be in Dubai for 3 days during Ramadan this year. Will it be ok being a Westerner? Am I going to be able to get meals, and see sights and things like that? I don't know a lot about Ramadan, but got warned that it may not be a good time to be in Dubai, but I don't have much of a choice about timing.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding is that Dubai is very multicultural, especially in the touristy areas. I have a cousin who lived there for several years and she never mentioned of any troubles.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't have a clue, but I love Dubai airport and the scent of being outside in the desert.

All I can advise is that you should bring thin long sleeved shirts ect, it was 40+ degrees at 7 am and a load of sunscreen!

My head burnt in the whole of 5 minutes prior boarding the plane

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I don't live in a Muslim country, but 20% of the population here is Muslim, and most of them observe the Ramadan. Don't ask me how, but Arab restaurants here work during Ramadan. The Muslim workers actually serve food without being able to grab a bite during the day.

As for Dubai, here's a great blog by someone I consider to be a friend -
http://www.jadaoun.com/

Jad is a Lebanese currently residing in Dubai. He's lived in the US for several years and his English is impeccable (as far as I can tell, not being a native speaker myself). I am sure you can leave him a comment and ask all the questions you want about Dubai and he can tell you all about it. If you prefer, let me know, and I'll give you his email address.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm a muslim, living in a muslim country and observe ramadhan diligently. There should be no problems for you to find food and beverage in any muslim country and if push come to shove, you can always get food in any 3-5 star hotel over there.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to ask, with the wars going on over there is it even safe?!

As far as I know the UAE was a popular place for nurses to want to work because of the tax free income. But unless things have changed in the last few years, all of the Canadian nurses have been pulled from there and none are being sent back. A friend of mine was scheduled to go there about 4 years ago and she was told because of the instability over there that she couldn't go.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Sarah, that is like a dream trip for me. I have always wanted to go to Dubai and have heard great things about the place. I've heard the country relies very much on tourists so I'm going to assume that in hotels, chain restaurants, etc you'll be able to spend time in your own way and not 'having' to participate in Ramadan. Of course, step away from the beaten path and I'm sure you'll get the full effect - have fun!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know the answer to your question, but I have to ask, with the wars going on over there is it even safe?!

As far as I know the UAE was a popular place for nurses to want to work because of the tax free income. But unless things have changed in the last few years, all of the Canadian nurses have been pulled from there and none are being sent back. A friend of mine was scheduled to go there about 4 years ago and she was told because of the instability over there that she couldn't go.
I'm pretty sure that any pulling out is precautionary - Dubai really really can not afford to lose any face on the world front because it is such a tourist destination - I'm fairly certain that they are doing what ever they can to have it be safe safe safe.

I remember watching a documentary about it - and they said if you want to visit the middle east - Dubai is one of the safest places you can go.

Oh and Sarah - let me know if you see Palm Jumeirah

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I'm going to be in Dubai for 3 days during Ramadan this year. Will it be ok being a Westerner? Am I going to be able to get meals, and see sights and things like that? I don't know a lot about Ramadan, but got warned that it may not be a good time to be in Dubai, but I don't have much of a choice about timing.
I have been to Iran with DW during Ramadan and could get anything I wanted including any kind of booze. Now, most every restaurant is closed until sundown but you can find food at the smaller establishments. Make no mistake, despite what you hear, you can get ANYTHING in a Muslim country at any time. Especially countries like Turkey.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

closed until sundown but you can find food at the smaller establishments. Make no mistake, despite what you hear, you can get ANYTHING in a Muslim country at any time. Especially countries like Turkey.
Definitely but especially Dubai. You are ging to have SO MUCH FUN!! It is so beautiful there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

Oh and Sarah - let me know if you see Palm Jumeirah
We're not leaving until we see it!!!!!

From what I've been reading, as a Westerner, you should not eat or drink in public during Ramadan, but all the big hotels have areas curtained off for Westerners to eat during the day still.

Once the sun goes down it sounds like a big party place!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Dubai seems awfully safe to me. Very stable country, actually. Not sure what war you're referring to, I guess from far away the entire Middle East must look like a war zone. It really isn't - and except for certain places, like Gaza, most places are relatively safe.

I have to say, I am just as scared of going to the US, especially places like LA, as you would be of coming to the Middle East. Hopefully, we're both being overcautious

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
About the only places I wouldn't go are the general Iraq, Iran, Syria, Israel area (sorry Anne, it looks too unstable for me right now, although I would go to check it out one day), and Afghanistan, and probably Pakistan (possibly anything ending in -Stan
, and then a heap of the African countries that seem unstable right now.

Unless there's wars happening in the actual country, I'm happy to go. I think going during Ramadan will be a really interesting experience, and we know to be respectful to other cultures, and we have a better idea on what we should and shouldn't do during daylight hours, so we should be ok.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am deployed to Iraq right now and I'm going to take your question to my husband who is Military Intellegence and and let you know what he says but my 1SG say you really prob shouldn't go.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know - if they play major Golf Tournaments there and Tiger goes - I'd go!
if it's safe enough for him and for others to play golf, I think I'd feel safe enough to go.

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tiger Woods most likley also has a security detail with him the whole time. Not only that but Toby Keith went to Baghdad doesn't mean it's safe for a person to go visiting there.

Sarahp if you don't mind my asking are you traveling alone or with a group?

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I talked to my husband and his NCO the both said you shouldn't go, not during Ramadan it's really not safe especially for female.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A former co-worker has been going to Israel alone as a woman and never had a problem. Unless there was a war in the area I was going to, i wouldn't let it stop me - otherwise you are just letting the bad guys win and you can get killed crossing the road.

Sarah, I sent an email to my uncle, he went to Dubai on business a few years ago and stayed into Ramadan. I don't recall him mentioning any problems, but he rarely gets to leave the hotel when he is away on business as he rents a conference room there so probably ate at the hotel.

One thing I do remember was he had to puchase some special type of insurance and show it before he was allowed entry. I know he said the shops were open late and he got our gifts at midnight even before Ramadan and alcohol was not served in the hotel during Ramadan.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Dubai seems awfully safe to me. Very stable country, actually. Not sure what war you're referring to, I guess from far away the entire Middle East must look like a war zone. It really isn't - and except for certain places, like Gaza, most places are relatively safe.

I have to say, I am just as scared of going to the US, especially places like LA, as you would be of coming to the Middle East. Hopefully, we're both being overcautious
Now now, don't forget about the south-side of Chicago, some spots in New York City, and definitely don't forget about Gary, IN, my hometown.
All are places I would hate to be out and about at night.

But back to the OP...I can't imagine you would have any trouble finding food, because, as many have mentioned, Dubai is such a tourist spot. Purdue *nearly* got into a deal to open a campus there, so I don't think you have to worry about war zones.
Have FUN!

wildfire203

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not telling you you shouldn't go if you really want to go then have fun. I'm just telling you what the MI ppls have told me. If you do go and go by yourself please don't go out alone at night there are an unbelivably number of kidnappings of females going on there and in other arab countries. Ramandan would be intersting to see just be really careful about where you go.