Shivering/shaking, seems to have lost weight

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Pheobe has just given birth to her second litter about 3 weeks ago, the kittens are all doing fine and everything seems to be going well. But just today I noticed that she's getting quite thin and she lacks energy. She keeps laying down in the same sphinx like postion with her front paws folded in and her back feet almost kind of pulled to the front of her and shaking.. her body temperature is normal and she's been eating/drinking from what I know. I don't like this ;[

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree take her to the vet. Have them do a blood work up. Sounds like she might have low calcium. Animals that have given birth can get like that. I've heard that most people can just give there animals tums or something like that with calcium. You want to see the vet though to make sure that's what it is. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was just posting for my parents, I told them what you guys said. She looks really bad now.. it's almost like her stomache is collapsing and she's moving extremely slowly.. I'm really scared for her. This happened really really fast. I told them to take her to a vet right away.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That happened tp my brothers Cat and she would have died if she had not gone to the Vet. She got about a week after she had Kittens. There was a dead Kitten inside her and her uterous was infected. It cost 4000 to save her.

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
that's awful.. and highly possible. I know my parents wont be paying that either.. here's to hoping things go good I guess.

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
it has been quite a bit longer than a week though.. and she's a small and young cat, her having a 7 kitten litter would be strange wouldn't it?

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no, she slipped away from us around birth this time, someone let her out of the confined area we had >=[. We had no idea till it was done. That bothered me a bit when it happened but everything seemed fine till now. They just left to the vet now.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen dogs go thru this when nursing larger litters or the pups are of a larger breed. I have low calcium myself, and it is horrible. You do get muscles spasms and muscle seizures which is not fun. You can die if left untreated for too long even in animals. Hopefully the cat will be ok. I know I had to feed 5 puppies bottles while I babysat because the mom could no longer nurse them. These weren't my pups, but I babysat for this family so often I was there alot LOL.

please post when you know the results.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A calcium shortage can lead to a very quick collapse of the animal, and the vet can give a calcium injection that can reverse it almost as suddenly. Used to be a lot more common in both people and animals.

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mine is from having my thyroid removed. The parathyroids didn't survive so I don't absorb calcium without activated vitamin D like those who are on dialysis. I have been lucky not to have calcium IV, but you just never know when that might be a necessity.

I hope the momma cat is doing ok. I know the vet can do the same with them as in humans, as that is what the dog had done that I was looking after her pups.

It is scary though when you first see the animal in that condition. Needs to be corrected quickly.

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys, I didn't want to bum you out but she died this morning ;[ Not sure if she died herself or was put down.. but she had a really bad infection and we didn't notice it till late. Thanks for all your replies. Now we have 6 2.5 week old kittens without a mother, I feel really bad. We're trying to hand nurse and stimulate poo/pee and we have an older kitten from Pheobes first litter that's actually helping clean/stimulate. I was thinking of giving them to a care shelter if that's possible, I really want them to do well.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Redgie

Hey guys, I didn't want to bum you out but she died this morning ;[ Not sure if she died herself or was put down.. but she had a really bad infection and we didn't notice it till late. Thanks for all your replies. Now we have 6 2.5 week old kittens without a mother, I feel really bad. We're trying to hand nurse and stimulate poo/pee and we have an older kitten from Pheobes first litter that's actually helping clean/stimulate. I was thinking of giving them to a care shelter if that's possible, I really want them to do well.
Oh no.
I'm so sorry it turned out that way.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
www.kitten-rescue.com can help- the shelters are more than likely full, try and find a private rescue group in your area-ask your vet for any names he might have.

Also check your private message box.

redgie

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the kind words and advice guys. It's really appreciated.