Animal Hospitals 24/7?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sitting on the third floor balcony at home. Although it is heavily barred, the bars are not close together enough that a cat could not squeeze between them. Therefore, Persi is looking through the window with his big blue Persian sad eyes, wanting to come out with me. Would a cat ever want to jump that far? I am too scared to even think of it. But it just occurred to me that if something were to happen to one of my cats and needed immediate attention, where could I take them? Do you have a vet that is available 24/7? I sure don't. Even the Animal Hospital located close to here has definate hours posted with no provisions for emergency calls.

Surely in a city the size of Dallas such a place exists, but I have not located it yet. Do you know where you could take your cat at 1 a.m. in the morning and know you could get immediate attention? In the past few weeks I have been to the ER twice, located only six blocks from here. I know where it is. Now I am feeling very guilty that I do not know where an ER for cats (animals) exists.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, i found one when Mouse was sick. it's a ways away - about 30 minutes from me. but i live in a small town, so that's the closest i could find.
nice to know it's there - altho it's REALLY pricey! but you get what you pay for - i was very pleased w/the treatment they gave Mouse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

yes, i found one when Mouse was sick. it's a ways away - about 30 minutes from me. but i live in a small town, so that's the closest i could find.
nice to know it's there - altho it's REALLY pricey! but you get what you pay for - i was very pleased w/the treatment they gave Mouse.
Since you do not live that far from me and since I am right by LBJ and the tollway and can get to most places around here in a hurry, please give me the info on where you took Mouse.
I have always heard of Sanger but don't know exactly where it is. (Like most of us big city folk.) Anyway, I can use that as a base and then try to find one closer. Thank you, Laureen.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's 2 near me - one is an emergency vet that is only open after hours - from 6pm to about 8am from Monday to Friday, and then on Friday it stays open from 6pm all weekend until Monday morning.

There is also a vet hospital nearby that has staff available 24/7. They're both about the same distance away, but I guess I'd go to the vet hospital since they have better facilities.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pray to never need to go where the er for cats is, but I do know its one city over. Don't know where exactly, and I've been meaning to look it up. Thans for bringing that up as I am going away for a few days, and the cat sitter will need that info.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Since you do not live that far from me and since I am right by LBJ and the tollway and can get to most places around here in a hurry, please give me the info on where you took Mouse.
I have always heard of Sanger but don't know exactly where it is. (Like most of us big city folk.) Anyway, I can use that as a base and then try to find one closer. Thank you, Laureen.
just look direcly above your last post!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Lee, could you use some transparent fishnet inside the bars to secure the balcony, or isn't that permitted? Chicken wire would work as well, but might be too obvious.

We don't have a 24/7 emergency vet hospital around here, but we do have two county vets on call. Area vets used to rotate every week, until these two vets decided to semi-retire, and just be on "stand-by" nights and weekends.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If I were a vet, I'd get with a group of other vets, maybe 10 or 12, and either set up a small office we could all use and staff, or set up an answering service that would direct an owner to whatever office was currently staffed.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

If I were a vet, I'd get with a group of other vets, maybe 10 or 12, and either set up a small office we could all use and staff, or set up an answering service that would direct an owner to whatever office was currently staffed.
good idea! i'd like that!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When i moved house i rang around the vets in my area to check them out, and one of the questions i asked was where their 24 hour hospital was located incase of an emergency, fortunately 2 of the vets i rang said their hospitals were only a 10-15 minute drive from me

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lee, could you use some transparent fishnet inside the bars to secure the balcony, or isn't that permitted? Chicken wire would work as well, but might be too obvious.
You must live in a very restricted environment like I do, Tricia! Yes, in this townhome environment they have very strict rules that everybody must follow or I would have already put up the chicken wire. Transparent fishnet on the other hand is something I never thought of. I bet the "everybody look alike police" couldn't spot that up here on the third floor!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, I know where my e-vet is, Pebbles spent the majority of two weekends there, and we had to go in Feb with our mum cat - just what you want at 6.30 on a Sun evening.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

this is the one closest to me: denton e-vet
i found these links which might help you - the grapevine one should be pretty close!
e-vet listings for lewisville
grapevine e-vet
vet listings for dallas - [this is where i located the denton one]
It is quite amazing that Denton county would have something like this and Dallas does not. But in going through the links you provided me I did come up with a most amazing place located very near Dallas that some of our Dallas members may be highly interested in. I certainly am. A place that only takes care of CATS: A hospital for only CATS! I could get up and dance! And they DO handle emergencies. Thanks Laureen, I had to go through about 50 URLs but I found what I wanted and even more so. My God, I never could have imagined a hospital just for cats! From right here, I can get there in twenty minutes (or if I take my Porsche and there are no police around, ten.)
The person in the middle is you and the kissers are Persi & Alley.
http://www.cathospitaloflascolinas.com/

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

It is quite amazing that Denton county would have something like this and Dallas does not. But in going through the links you provided me I did come up with a most amazing place located very near Dallas that some of our Dallas members may be highly interested in. I certainly am. A place that only takes care of CATS: A hospital for only CATS! I could get up and dance! And they DO handle emergencies. Thanks Laureen, I had to go through about 50 URLs but I found what I wanted and even more so. My God, I never could have imagined a hospital just for cats! From right here, I can get there in twenty minutes (or if I take my Porsche and there are no police around, ten.)
The person in the middle is you and the kissers are Persi & Alley.
http://www.cathospitaloflascolinas.com/
awww...
aren't they sweet!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

...or set up an answering service that would direct an owner to whatever office was currently staffed.
That's how it works here. You dial a county-wide area code, plus "tiernot" (animal emergency), and are connected with whoever is on call.

You must live in a very restricted environment like I do, Tricia! Yes, in this townhome environment they have very strict rules that everybody must follow or I would have already put up the chicken wire. Transparent fishnet on the other hand is something I never thought of. I bet the "everybody look alike police" couldn't spot that up here on the third floor!
Around here, people object to front balconies being "secured", but you can get away with secured back balconies. We have upstairs balconies both front and back, and have the latter secured with "cat net".

Jamie loves it, because he can see what's going on in our backyard, the neighbors' backyards, at a tile company with a lot of custom, and can see part of Main Street.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
it's quite a bit further for me - Sanger is north of Denton, so it'd probably take me about an hour to get there, barring traffic & obeying speed laws.
if there's a race at the time, multiply that time by 3

btw, there's also one that's probably even closer to you: Cross Timbers Animal Medical Center. they have an AAFP vet there, too!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lee, the easiest thing to do is call the vet clinic near you. They can give you info on the nearest 24 hr clinic. (Pssst! Shoulda stayed in Plano
)

There is one on Bush, between Custer and Alma, on the south side of the highway. Exit Custer.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

When i moved house i rang around the vets in my area to check them out
That's what I did too. I have a regular hours vet 2 minutes up the road in one direction, and an emergency clinic 2 minutes down the other way.

My usual vet is now 45 minutes away, so I wanted to check out the facilities close to me in case I ever need them. For annual check ups and non emergencies I will still use my usual vet.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Er Vet here is closer then my Vet and I had to use it a few weeks ago because Coco was in the pan screaming with another Bladder Infection. Our Vet owns the Er Vet also. The old Er Vet where I used to live was about 12 Miles from me and Lucy died in the Truck going there. Both Ers are only open 8Pm-8Am Monday-Fridays and all day Satand Sun and Holidays.