shes driving me crazy

lightshimmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! I've been researching online, asking friends, family and random people who have cats...... no help found so far. This is my last stop before she has to go, and any help would be wonderful. I have had this cat (Dinah )for two years, ( i dont know what breed she is, all the pet shop told me was domesticated house cat). Shes playful, shes loving, absolutely beautiful markings and pretty much the best cat i've ever had as far as personality goes. Theres one problem- SHE WONT STOP MEOWING!! Shes not hungry, shes not thirsty, I play with her constantly, she has toys. Shes EXTREMELY vocal to the point that the people living in the apartments closest to us have started to complain. If she jumps onto the bed, she'll make a squeak, same with jumping down. If we startle her, she aqueaks. If we talk to her, if we dont talk to her, if she can't find us, if I go to work, I come home from work, probably while im at work, she lets out this god awful yowl! I'll be sitting on the couch petting her and she'll be meowing at me. I've had someone tell me she needs a playmate, but i can't have two cats. Theres nothing physically wrong with her, shes just vocal and LOUD. ALL THE TIME. is there anything i can do to stop this?? I love her like a child, but even if my neighbors werent complaining, two years of this is starting to wear on my nerves!! is there a pill we can give her, a calming shampoo (theres one for children), cripes, do I need to stand her on her head under the light of the full moon?? i dont know what to do, extremely frusterated.
any help or similiar experiences?
- Danielle

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds like you have a talker! probably some siamese or oriental in her background, i'd suspect.
altho there may be medications that would address this issue, i doubt you'd be able to find a vet that would dispense them for this reason. sorry - i don't have any suggestions!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to laugh, but I know what you mean. My Kitty meowed day and night when she was little, and finally stopped after almost a year. She just has a lot to say. I guess you've taking her to a vet, since you said there's nothing wrong with her. The only thing I can think of is maybe you're not home enough? Kitty meows tons when I haven't been home enough, she really lets me know! The more I talked to my cat, the more she seemed to talk. Has she always done this? Maybe there is something outside bothering her? Catnip makes mine very happy and relaxed, try some dried or fresh.

Since you love her so much, maybe she can just become a mostly outdoor cat. I don't let mine out, but I think that would be better than just getting rid of her.

Have you tried Feliway sray and the diffuser? You can get it online cheaper, and I think it really helps. I just got a new kitten and have been using tons of it to help Kitty accept the new kitten.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get her a friend! Fiona was just like your cat when we first got her. She made noise ALL THE TIME
We thought she was just a very vocal cat.

But I read how it can be a sign that they are lonely. I love cats but my sister/roomate was adamant about only having one, this was the perfect excuse to get another!
"It's for Fiona. Don't you want her to be happy?"

So I got Ree Ree and she has SHUT UP
She just needed another cat to relate too i guess.
They are friends. They love to play together. She is so nosey when he is doing ANYTHING....she must know what is going on at all times. He also gets concerned and meows if he can't find her in the house. They really like each others company.

Not only was Fiona happy but ReeRee is the best cat! He is so silly it is such a joy to watch him everyday...he is always doing something cute

Get another cat and BOTH of you will be very happy!

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fifi1puss

Get her a friend! Fiona was just like your cat when we first got her. She made noise ALL THE TIME
We thought she was just a very vocal cat.

But I read how it can be a sign that they are lonely. I love cats but my sister/roomate was adamant about only having one, this was the perfect excuse to get another!
"It's for Fiona. Don't you want her to be happy?"

So I got Ree Ree and she has SHUT UP
She just needed another cat to relate too i guess.
They are friends. They love to play together. She is so nosey when he is doing ANYTHING....she must know what is going on at all times. He also gets concerned and meows if he can't find her in the house. They really like each others company.

Not only was Fiona happy but ReeRee is the best cat! He is so silly it is such a joy to watch him everyday...he is always doing something cute

Get another cat and BOTH of you will be very happy!
How long did it take them to love each other?

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to communicate with another cat, she wants one around. I've lived through this various times and invariably, the minute another cat shows up, the meowing stops dead, as if a button was pushed! Either that, or she might be hard of hearing and not be able to hear herself without a lot of noise.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd second the Feliway. You might also try Rescue Remedy. Also, you may need to modify your behavior. When she's meowing--ignore her. When she's quiet, pay attention to her. It's quite possible that she's lonely, and she has learned that meow = attention. You might consider getting a cat video (one that had birds or whatnot) to help entertain her while you're at work. Get some interactive toys (like da Bird and other wand toys) to play with her to wear her out. Treat balls can be used during the day to keep her occupied--just fill them with her regular kibble. Redirecting her attention may help her be quieter, but most of all, just try not to give her any attention, food, treats, etc. while she is talking. You might even try to teach her the "quiet" command--there is a book for clicker training cats that may be worth reading.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A second cat is the cure. I know you don't want it but it calmed all of my talkers right down. Mary used to talk for talkings sake. Now she is a quieter.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

A second cat is the cure. I know you don't want it but it calmed all of my talkers right down. Mary used to talk for talkings sake. Now she is a quieter.
i don't know if it's that she doesn't want one, or can't have one. some rentals will only allow a single pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lightshimmer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not that I dont want another cat, if I could get one I would. But yea, its the landlord whos not especially fond of cats, I almost couldnt bring dinah with me when we moved in until i told him she was housebroken,declawed, and fixed. Thank you for the advice guys, I'm going to try changing my behavior a little, though to be honest its hard not to react when shes meowing, just because the nerves are starting to grate.... you hear about the children whos parents will do anything just to get them to shut up? Its at that point. I also started bringingr to my future mother in laws house when im at work, and that has helped a little ( we'll see if it sticks, its only been the last two days). She likes to play with her puppy, its so cute. The cats three times bigger then the dog and they like to wrestle.
Anywho,
Thanks again
Danielle