Dandruff??

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, posted this in the wrong section so brought it over to here... sorry!

So Pips been so well since we moved into our new house that I haven't really felt the need to pop onto The Cat Site but oh my gosh I've miss you all!

Well, recently we've started noticing that Pip has got himself some dandruff... and as he's a black kitty, it's rather noticable! Could anyone give me some ideas or advice on why he's got it and how on earth he can get rid of it?

Ps... as an indoor kitty cat, he's rather a bit spoiled so he gets brushed every day, could this be the problem...? Excess brushing?

pps... he's also learned how to go out side on a harness and lead and loves going out with us... he gets a 1/2 hour every night when I get home from work... good hey?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Pixel has dandruff, too. i think it's partly 'cause she's a 'dry only' cat, but then, so is Java & she doesn't have it.
i guess some cats are just prone to it. i'd feed a richer, oiler dry [i've done so in the past & it seems to help her skin] but when i do that, Cable gets the runs. i prefer the dandruff!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My baby-cat has the same problem. She's tuxedo & gets that on her black coat, so yeah, it does not look good either

My vet told me to feed her with omega 3 fatty acid supplement. You can get it in either oil or powder formula. I've tried both, the oil one is really fishy & stinky. As I expected, my cat just hated it. I switched it to powder one(Missing link). Seems she prefers powder than oil but that's depending on the way I feed her. I either mix in wet or dry food, OR lightly sprinkle over dry food. Maybe the smell(although it's not that much compared to the oil) is over-powering or something, she still would not eat her food if I mix it in wet

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Omega-3 oil is made in a deodorized form, which has much milder taste as well as much less smell. You'll probably have to look at a health food store to find it.

Just switching from dry to wet food can improve dandruff problems.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been noticing dandruff on my grey Kitty too lately. Maybe it's the warm weather? I swithed her food, so myabe its not fatty enough? I dont think brushing would cause it, and i dont brush mine often enough

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

The Omega-3 oil is made in a deodorized form, which has much milder taste as well as much less smell. You'll probably have to look at a health food store to find it.

Just switching from dry to wet food can improve dandruff problems.
Health Food store products, that may be a good idea...but wouldn't it be expensive?

The oil I bought was like $9 for 4 oz bottle...and it became useless as I couldn't feed it to her at all. It's still sitting in a fridge since I bought it

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What are you feeding...???

Omega three capsules of good quality run about 20$ a bottle here but that would be 3-6 months worth

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KKH

Health Food store products, that may be a good idea...but wouldn't it be expensive?

The oil I bought was like $9 for 4 oz bottle...and it became useless as I couldn't feed it to her at all. It's still sitting in a fridge since I bought it
might be cheaper than anything marketed for 'pets' - often true. the homemade food i make to supplement my wet food [i think] probably comes out cheaper than high quality wet.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sophie had bit's of dandruff on her so the vet told me to change her food over to James Wellbeloved as it contains the omega 3, and so far it seems to be clearing up?. Her fur seems a lot softer on top now as well, because before i changed her food it felt quite coarse

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Pip refuses to have any premium brand food and has been known to go for days without touching his food if I start mixing it in with his current food... so no, changing his food is not an option right now... can't afford to waste even his less inferior brand, let alone a very expensive brand! he has both wet and dry food - both have very good %'s so not worried that he's not getting the correct fatty acids, vitamins and minerals.

He does have omega-3 supplements in his food already as well as taking a capsule of cod liver oil once a week - which he'll take with no problem!

We had a barrage of skin tests about a year or so when I thought he had ringworm - luckily it was only a spider bite in the end - and vet said his skin was very healthy due to the supplements he takes.

Other than buying a humidifier - which I don't particularily fancy doing as I hate them! - what else are my choices?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pippy-pops

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Try having a word with your vet to see if they can come up with any suggestions?
Yes, I think this is my last port of call! He's got a check-up in a few weeks... the dandruff isn't bothering him in the slightest... it's just annoying me to death!

I'm sure it can wait a few weeks.

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been supplementing Stan's diet with fish oil for some time now, but we didn't really see any progress on the dandruff until I cut some things out of his diet (wheat & chicken). This lead me to think that his was allergy related, so the fish oil made his coat nice, but didn't touch the skin problem.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

What are you feeding...???

Omega three capsules of good quality run about 20$ a bottle here but that would be 3-6 months worth
I give her "Missing Link" these days. Kinda expensive too but lasts longer.