reusing cat food

leppy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am cat sitting for my neighbor who has 3 cats. They told me everyday to throw any dry and wet food that is left and refill the bowls. There is always food left over. My question is can I take the "leftover" wet food to feed my 2 cats? Her cats are around 7 years and mine are 3 years if that matters. Is there any harm in feeding my cats with their day old food? I hate to waste their food.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't throw away dry food ever, I just leave it out. If you feel that bad about it, just put it away and feed it to them the next day if they dont free feed. i dont know about taking it home cause cats can carry diseases and such.

Wet food thats been sitting out a couple of hours is close to going bad, so its gotta be thrown away.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Meowers

Wet food thats been sitting out a couple of hours is close to going bad, so its gotta be thrown away.
wet food goes bad pretty quickly. i feed fresh dry once a day, mornings. i feed wet once a day, evenings.
i do give leftovers to the ferals, but i wouldn't want a catsitter [that is basically what you're doing for them, right?] to do something else for my cats. if you feel ok refeeding the dry to yours, you can... but if theirs become ill, yours could catch anything they have.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I free feed,so I let the dry food stay there until Hatchet eats it all.It would be okay to feed it to the cats again when you go to feed them again.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The dry is fine to leave out - no need to throw that away. But if its leftover canned, then throw it away. Any canned food left more then 30 mins in the bowl without eating would spoil.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use naturally preserved drys and YES I do toss out the over 24-36 hour old leftovers ... wet food I give about an hour

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that feeding less dry would solve the waste issue--granted its not your cats, but you could let them know that they don't seem to eat all the dry and so by feeding more and pitching whats left is a waste.

Now that my boys are on a schedule there is never leftovers in the bowl--granted I never threw out dry before, just left it until they ate it.

Leslie