9 wk old kitten - will the mewing EVER stop? :(

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello
This is my first post here and I have been lurking here quite some time reading other people's responses similar to what I am asking

I have been searching and searching and reading about about mewing kittens
X_X
I feel like an idiot and now am quite depressed because I feel like I made a mistake.
I recently bought a new scottish fold kitten (born april 4th...meaning he's 9 wks now?)
The place i went to had a lot of outdoor cats all of which were extremely friendly.
Kitty was in a cage with his momma and 5 other siblings
He was really reluctant and hissed when we first got him he definitely was not happy.
I got him home and spent some time with him - my roommate was kind enough to let me use his room to set up the kitten things since I wanted the kitten to be acquainted w/ his own personal space, and I figured I should wait before I introduce my 3 yr old female ><;;
(Coco my 3 yr old seems to know something fishy is going on, but she didnt growl or hiss when i had the baby in a cage in the same room)

So first night goes by, no mewing, nothing
second day i come home from work
he's mewing and mewing and mewing
he ate and drank. and when i tried to reach for him under the bed, he just hissed and backed away
but i stayed there and tried talking to him offering him treats, and finally left him alone
i figured he misses his momma

so second night mew mew mew, non stop, my roommate eventually dragged his matress out into the living room to sleep (GOD I FEEL SO BAD!!!)

so yesterday i finally cornered kitty and started to pet him under the ears/etc got him purring and after about 15 minutes of continueous petting/purring he finally came out and ate out of my hand (O so cute!)
but i couldn't make any movements like sitting up / moving, else he hissed and ran away -
once again, last night
mew mew mew mew mew mew allll night

today when I came home from work, he let me hold him right away, (at first hissed but i pet him until he purred)

and he played w/ his cat toy / birdie teaser w/ me for about 2 horus straight
and ate/pooped/etc played some more and finally he went under the bed, i figured he was sleepy
and now its 10:30Pm and he still is mewing non stop

Will this EVER end?

I have NEVER had this happen before
I got my previous cat from a rescue at around 3 mos but she was never around any other cats it seemed but she never mewed and is a dream to this day!

should I maybe just introduce the baby to my 3 yr old?
i mean it mews and mews allll night
coco's been at my roommates door i didnt see any ear pressing back or tail twitching or hissing
does this mean coco might be okay w/ Nook? (the baby)

I just feel so bad

and if I had the baby in the roommate's bedroom for the past 3 nights
i was thinking of making him a pen/with bed and such in the bathroom during the nights just so my roommate could sleep
will this confuse the kitten?
should I use 2 littler boxes? he's perfect w/ using the litter boxes
its just the hissing when being approached that bothers me and the non-stop mewing!

poor thing

I hope I could get a soothing response from this and that I wont be stuck w/ a loud mewing nightmare

ack ;_;
help

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
awww, he just misses his mom & littermates!
not sure what your finances will stand... but my local petsmart just started carrying snugglekitties - they're supposed to be great for orphaned kits!
also, you should be feeding kitten food - preferably wet if possible, altho allowing free feeding of kibble in addition is okay, too.
i was feeding my last one KMR even at that age, but she was underweight.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Introuce them slowly. My Kitten meowed alot so I let her be with Coco. she shut up as long as she was with another Cats. She even tried to nurse on Coco and she let her. Once they get to know each other your kitten might do the same thing. o not worry it will stop. Sasha and Oreo both acted that way.

709juggalette

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is missing his mom and siblings,as mentioned.
Mine was like that for awhile too.It does stop,once he gets more comfortable.
Introduce the kitty to your older cat slowly,as mentioned.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We introduced Lexi (born April 1) the same day we brought her home (after she went straight to the vet for a wellness check). Sammy is current on his vaccines so we weren't too worried about him with her, and he was fostered in a home full of kitties before we got him, so I figured he wouldn't be too concerned over a new kitty - and he wasn't, other than ignoring me for a couple of days, but he's back to his lovey self now.

It's been a little over a week, we've never separated them, and she's happy and well adjusted, even if she is a pest at times to Sammy - she's his shadow. They both seem happy to have each other and sleep together and snuggle a lot after a fun game of rough housing together (he's 10 months, but a BIG 10 month old - wish I had a scale to weigh him).

The baby (Lexi) even snuggles with our 70 lb golden retriever mix. We haven't had mewing (except when she's really sleeping and INSISTS on us picking her up). But she's been pretty independent as long as her fur friends are nearby.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lost kitten's natural action, if it is not in the nest, is to cry in order to help its mother find it. This is nature.

You need to convince the kitten that you are its mother now.

But a kitten that young is very likely to be noisy, anyway.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ok so I have an somewhat update

took the baby now renamed Alexander/Alex to the vet
tested neg for leukemia got all his shots and checkup
Vet says he's a perfectly healthy baby and while we were there he clung onto me and purred and purred, like a totally different cat - like he just loved me and my roommate it was soo weird!??

when we got home, and this time when he mewed and mewed it was calling for my and my roommate's attention - when we opened the door he ran towards us....hm
I guess now its time to only give him playtime-times and ignore him if he cries too much so I dont get the spoiled brat mewing habit?

and OMG those snugglekitties!! i want one for myself!! (hehe)

yesterday he got out of the bedroom for a split second and coco saw him
and she hissed, ears didnt go back, and she remained laying on the ground
but i grabbed him up and put him back in his room X_X
i have a feeling this one is gonna be a tough one to introduce since coco was found along (a stray I believe)
and she never mewed or really asked for attention
she bit a lot and played really rough
but she was REALLY kind to my hamsters that I let free roam, and my ferrets...
but I guess a kitten is a different story? Im crossing my fingers I'll give it another few days or weeks before just leaving the doors open....

><;

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would introduce them both now. Just back off in a corner and be very quiet when you leave the door open. Sounds like the kitten is going through separation anxiety and the companionship of another cat might help as long as the older cat will tolerate the kitten (they can be a bit rough on older cats.)

The kittens that arrive here after their health exam are never separated from the rest of the group very long. Kittens need to play with their own kind and learn biting behavior from the older cats. If she is crying nonstop at night, she is raising her stress level and yours- but hers being so high can mean she will make herself sick.

If your resident cat isn't showing a tail tucked between the legs, being low to the ground, eyes narrowed into slits or ears tucked to the head, they should get along just fine. Hisses and growls are normal- swipes of the paw are too but generally the older cat's claws are sheathed.

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hissy

I would introduce them both now. Just back off in a corner and be very quiet when you leave the door open. Sounds like the kitten is going through separation anxiety and the companionship of another cat might help as long as the older cat will tolerate the kitten (they can be a bit rough on older cats.)

The kittens that arrive here after their health exam are never separated from the rest of the group very long. Kittens need to play with their own kind and learn biting behavior from the older cats. If she is crying nonstop at night, she is raising her stress level and yours- but hers being so high can mean she will make herself sick.

If your resident cat isn't showing a tail tucked between the legs, being low to the ground, eyes narrowed into slits or ears tucked to the head, they should get along just fine. Hisses and growls are normal- swipes of the paw are too but generally the older cat's claws are sheathed.
Well today after coco got her lion's cut and her nails trimmed, and baby got the okay clearance from the vet (and his nails trimmed) I was THINKING maybe i should intro them.
but I was playing with the new baby (who actually pretty much passed out after we came back from the vet) just 2 hours ago ---
and I left my roommate's door open a slit
and Im playing and playing w/ the balls and teasers, and im talking to my friends on the phone
and i didnt even NOTICE coco was walking SLOWLY into the room
I only noticed she was there when she HISSED very softly
like she kind of looked at me and looked back at Alex who didnt even know she was there (too busy playing)
but since I was on the phone/both hands busy/trying to keep kitty busy
i kind of just stood up and said "coco come outside" softly, and nudged her a bit - and she walked right out, not running or anything
and i got into the living room and just petted her and such since I read that I have to make sure the resident cat never feels less important.

i didnt notice tucked ears or slit eyes or any growling, just a very slow moving approach
i wanted to wait for my roommate to be here before trying to actually introducing them since i am really scared Coco would wack Alex in the head or something
(when coco was 5 mos old we had her for 2 months, our friend brought home a 9 wk old boy tabby, and coco was growling/spitting/hissing ---- coco visited my roommate's mom last winter who has a tabby boy the same age as Coco and he spits/growls/ at her so she hid under the bed no eating or drinking for 3 days!
)
so Im really nervous to introduce her to the baby by myself

she definitely knows he's there now
she knows i still love her
and she isn't treating me any differently or not eating or acting weird at all...

so maybe i should try tmrw?? i am feeling so much more hopeful X_X i was really thinking this situation was going to be a disaster (ie : forever crying baby cat and angry older resident cat and a roommate that hates me and will mock me forever in believing that i could bring another cat in here)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
9 weeks is too young. Sounds like you got this kitten from a backyard breeder who didn't socialize kittens from what you've posted. Breeders normally keep their kittens together (with mom) for 3 or 4 months before they leave.

He misses his siblings. If he's been checked by a vet, then start introducing him to the other cat so he has someone to be with instead of by himself.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would start the introductions. The hissing is just Coco asserting her dominance a little, and warning the kitten not to come at her too fast. It may take a while, and you may have some tussles. I'm sure you've seen the recommendations about putting some vanilla extract on both cats.

Don't expect to see them cuddling up right away, or anything like that. It could happen, but our two still rarely lie down close to each other, and they've been together for 2 years.

But they do play vigorously.

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I would start the introductions. The hissing is just Coco asserting her dominance a little, and warning the kitten not to come at her too fast. It may take a while, and you may have some tussles. I'm sure you've seen the recommendations about putting some vanilla extract on both cats.

Don't expect to see them cuddling up right away, or anything like that. It could happen, but our two still rarely lie down close to each other, and they've been together for 2 years.

But they do play vigorously.
Ugh ok
update

I left the door open in my roommates room today while I was changing Alex's litter and food/water

coco came sniffing in, this time she stood at the door ( i was in the kitchen - getting the new food)

soo at first it was j ust hissing. and I assume alex was trying to get closer to her since she hissed more
then she arched her back, hissed more and started growling, weird thing was ears didnt press back but she didnt look happy she was definitly growling

i stepped closer just in case there was a brawl or a good smack in baby's head
so little Alex was arched back but not hissing or anything, walking realllyyy slow on his tippies at coco

i tried distracting coco and petted her and such to calm her down
and went into alex's room and once the kitty saw food he just started to eat

but coco proceeded to hiss and growl at the doorway
so Alex trotted up to her again, and closer and closer, she lowered to the ground, tail twitching X______X growling/hissing
I just watched for a bit since Alex basically FROZE and didnt move and chanel's growls were getting really mean, so i slowly shut the door in her face (was this a nono?? I didnt want Alex to make any sudden movements and coco wack him im sooo scared of that since Alex is SO timid to begin with im scared he'll retreat back under the bed and not come out in fear of coco)

Um so baby cat was at the door trotting along making squeaks and coco just continued to growl and hiss on the other side of the door
so i went out to coco and petted her and reassured her she's still loved/etc

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO is this bad? o_O or............ should I continue this way? im a bit confused. or am I being an overprotective momma or something

alex really really really wants to play w/ chanel and she's just like. growl/hiss/ewwhatisthat!?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are doing fine. When I did my first intro I was a nervous wreck. I swear I should have been on anxiety medications because I was so afraid that one would kill or hurt the other.
This is what I learned:
Cats posture A LOT.
Often older cats will accept younger cats easily.
The older cat wants the kitten to know who is boss right away.
The older cats may get a little rough with the kittens but they get used to them.
The older cat may start to parent the younger one.
Kittens need company. It is a shame you could not have gotten 2 of them. Littermates are a great comfort for each other.
Kittens get the message that they are getting on the older cats nerves quickly after a few swipes.

Saffron mewed like mad until I caught her sister and now they are together. No mewing except to come out and play.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
sounds normal to me... mind you, i think Alex would probably survive a whack - just saw Cable whack Firefox tonight [granted, Firefox is now a year old...] just for trying to sniff something Cable was sniffing. Cable is just making sure Firefox remembers who's boss.

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My new kitten was introduced to my other Kitty the first night. My 1yr old wanted to eat het I think at first! Hissing and growling and batting! It's been 5 days now, and while we dont leave them alone together when we are not home, they play and lick each other. My kitten is about 12 weeks old, so I guess she is a little young too, she is the most confidant kitten youve ever seen. You need to spend lots and lots of time with the kitten, and itll learn youre the new mommy

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
another update

yesterday my coworker (who came to come get the kitten with me in the first place - and held alex on the way home) came over, and my roommate was home so we were like, okay, 3 humans here, 2 cats, we should be able to open the doors and see what happens..

so alex comes trotting out, all -happy-kitty-like

i prepare them food, and coco is already on edge, sitting there growling/hissing and watching the kitten

so i give coco her food in the kitchen, and place alex's food in the living room, and place alex by his food, and coco by hers

coco refused to eat and insisted on watching alex eat --

later after eating alex started playing like, psycho-kitty-running-through doors-jumping-dancing/etc of course being SO happy he found a whole new room to run around in.

several times alex ran towards coco and at first she just hissed, i let them get closer, and finally he went up to her to "play" and she took a couple of swipes at him, but i dont think her claws were out.....
alex layed on his side and hissed so while still sitting on the couch i just yelled "cut it out" to break the tension between the two and then alex snapped out of it and came back running around and playing and ignoring coco who proceeded to sit ontop of the fridge for the rest of the night

......i think thats decent progress right?
half the time i had this mental image of coco flying down from uptop the fridge and attacking alex haha ^^;;;

thanks guys! im gonna try vanilla extract too

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
success!
kitties can be left alone in the same room now *(SHOCK)*

thanks everyone!