I got kitten back

speedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up Sora my new kitty from the vet and they told me he had some cinchona (spelling wrong) invection from most likely eating his moms feces. and they also said he might have ringworm or tapeworm not sure what one they said. they gave me to medications one for the mouth every morning, and one on the actual no hair spot for twice a day. he went there oringaly b/c he wasn't eating. they said he didn't know how to and they had to teach him. well i got him back two nights ago and he didn't eat anything that night.

now i work 9-5. I got home yesterday and the bowl was still full, but i brought him to it and he didn't eat. i put some food in my hand and he ate one or two, and then i put the food back in his bowl and he ate a little not a super lot, but some.

then today same thing, he didn't eat all day while i was gone, but he ate a fair amount when i got home. its 10:22 now and i wante to see what some tuna would do for him. so i gave him a pinch of tuna fish. HE LOVES IT! ... he at all of it, and as he was eating that i added some dry food, and he has been eating that for about 5-10 mins now. not a lot.. but a few peices here and there.. i hear him chewing. i think the food is too big but they said thats what they were giving him (science diet for kittens) i don't think he really likes any of the wet food i got him. thats why i was so suprised that he liked the tuna.

but it looks like he is stating to eat more and more, and that is great. i wonder how much he'll eat tomorrow.

any suggetsions on things i can be doing please let me know!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
not sure what your finances will run... but SD is not the best food, anyway.
have you tried any other kitten kibble?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try Wellness wet kitten food. My kittens go nutty for it. They love it. As laureen said SD is not so good. A lot of money for an inferior product. There are so many foods out there that kittens would love a lot more.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

There are so many foods out there that kittens would love a lot more.
mine are currently on Royal Canin - i've heard their Babycat has little kibbles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow really?

i always thought because that's what the adoption center gave me, that was the best thing for him.

Yea I think it's to hard for him. Like it almost sounds like its hurting his teeth. I will def. pick something up tonight before I go home. I will run to petco. What kind of Dry Food should I get? And any suggestions for wet food? Anything tuna flavored? b/c he LOVES tuna fish.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We fed our three Royal Canin Babycat. They loved it and I loved the small pieces that made it easier for them to eat.

Wet food may require trial and erro to see what he will eat. Buy a single can of several different brands/flavors and see what goes over well.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My kittens also eat Royal Canin Babycat. The kibbles are very tiny, easy for them to eat, and the bowl is always empty in the morning!

They love it.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Human food is not good for cats or dogs. Caned tuna has no real food value to animals. You may want to put a little tuna water on the dry food to intice your little one to the dish, but the water will spoil after a couple of hours, so don't put a large amount of food down with the water on it. Eating habits are created in the first few weeks of life. So what you teach them sticks the rest of their life.
Have fun!
K.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Wet food may require trial and error to see what he will eat. Buy a single can of several different brands/flavors and see what goes over well.
many have tuna or fish flavors. since he likes people tuna, he may prefer them. watch out w/fish tho - some males have difficulty w/it & will develop blockages.
i'd buy several small cans, different brands/flavors & try them out.

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would for sure pick up some Royal Canin Babycat. The pieces are the tiniest I have ever seen in a kitten kibble and they really seem to enjoy the flavor.

jack31

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a side note

For the last week I have been going through trials on what wet food my boys like. I bought several different cans from Petsmart. I ended up with a lot of food that the boys wouldn't eat. Our Petsmart was great about taking the cans back, they refunded money even though (without really thinking about it myself, I left them in my car all day--very hot) the cans were ruined!

Leslie

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

Human food is not good for cats or dogs. Caned tuna has no real food value to animals. You may want to put a little tuna water on the dry food to intice your little one to the dish, but the water will spoil after a couple of hours, so don't put a large amount of food down with the water on it. Eating habits are created in the first few weeks of life. So what you teach them sticks the rest of their life.
Have fun!
K.
Wow, the processed animal food industry really has done a good job of making people think they cannot fed their pets unless they buy a bag of food and feed that food only. Going to the store and buying a bag of food is easy today, but it isn't always so easy to find the right food or the best food for each cat, plus some cats do better on foods not found in bags or cans.

"Human food" is where all cat food comes from, except the really crappy brands that serve things in there that isn't anywhere neat fit for human consumption. Some people homemake or feed their cats raw, and the cats thrive on it and their vets support this holistic and natural way of feeding with fresh vitamins, minerals, and all the good stuff that live living food contains. This goes for dogs too. Cats and dogs can benefit from having fresh foods added to their diet. A good read is Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats and Dogs - you can even find it at the library.

I would think it is okay for kitty to have some tuna every now and then. You can soak the kibble to make it easier for the kitten to eat in warm water. Just make sure you don't leave the food sitting out too long. Try some canned food. He doesn't sound like he is feeling well. If he continues not to eat well, contact the vet again and take other measures as needed, as a young kitten needs to be eating.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
try heating up his wet. cats w/URIs often have difficulty smelling their food - heating it makes it more fragrant [or odiferous if you're not a cat!
]

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Wow, the processed animal food industry really has done a good job of making people think they cannot fed their pets unless they buy a bag of food and feed that food only. Going to the store and buying a bag of food is easy today, but it isn't always so easy to find the right food or the best food for each cat, plus some cats do better on foods not found in bags or cans.

"Human food" is where all cat food comes from, except the really crappy brands that serve things in there that isn't anywhere neat fit for human consumption. Some people homemake or feed their cats raw, and the cats thrive on it and their vets support this holistic and natural way of feeding with fresh vitamins, minerals, and all the good stuff that live living food contains. This goes for dogs too. Cats and dogs can benefit from having fresh foods added to their diet. A good read is Dr. Pitcairns Complete Guide to Natural Health for Cats and Dogs - you can even find it at the library.

I would think it is okay for kitty to have some tuna every now and then. You can soak the kibble to make it easier for the kitten to eat in warm water. Just make sure you don't leave the food sitting out too long. Try some canned food. He doesn't sound like he is feeling well. If he continues not to eat well, contact the vet again and take other measures as needed, as a young kitten needs to be eating.
I am a raw feeder with minimal can feeding. I don't feed kibble at all. But for people who do feed kibble there are some that are better than others. I would do grain free, avoid 'by products', pork, corn and preservatives and artificial coloring.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

speedy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I got the Royal Caninin BabyCat food. At $16.99 I was hoping it'd do the job! But I loves my kitty, and I want him to eat so no biggy. ... He eat some. I think it's def. better on his teeth, but i still don't think he's eating enough. Each day is getting better. but everytime before he eats, or after he eats he'll do this meow likes he's dying of pain. and same with before/after he goes to the bathroom. i really dunno if he's ok or not. I called the adoption center again today but they were closed. they should call me back tomorrow.

i still think somethings wrong with him and that's why he isn't eating. (he's eating more then a week ago.. but still i don't think not enough)

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have switched to EVO today. I will see if it helps with this runny poop thing.
When I say human food is not good for cats, it's due to the lack of vits and other goodies. Cat's eat meat, think of what a wild cat would catch & eat. Not too many tunas on the table. Birds, mice, large bugs, lizzards, small snakes. If a pond is near, maybe small fish close to the waters edge. Anyway you get my idea. So I try to find a good quality food, that's not filled with extra junk.

K.