Calcium Oxalate crystals anyone?

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ugh. My poor Theodore just keeps having one problem after another. I'm at a complete loss now and looking for any advice. Here's a little background...

He has had crystals in his urine before (although I never knew what kind before) and was briefly on Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare. It seemed to help, and eventually I phased him off of it because I just don't like Hill's and Science Diet foods in general. He was doing well for quite a while, but recently has started peeing out of the box again. So I took him to the vet today and they identified calcium oxalate crystals in his urine. Again, they recommended Hill's Prescription Diet c/d Multicare. I'm really opposed to it, not just because I don't like Hill's, but because Theodore also has really bad allergies (I'm not sure what he's allergic to, but my best guess is that it's a food allergy) and Hill's food is just loaded with cat allergens. I just switched him over to Natural Balance Pea and Duck formula, hoping to help clear up his allergies so he doesn't have to get a steroid shot every month. Ugh. If I switch over to Hill's, that will definitely NOT help is allergies. And I'm not so convinced it will help his calcium oxalate crystals all that much either. It seems like there's got to be a better solution.

Is there any chance Natural Balance (which he has only been eating for a few days) is a good food for preventing new oxalate crystals? I think it was the Purina food he was eating before that may have caused the crystals. I'm really hoping that Natural Balance will end up helping him both with allergies and with the crystals.

If not... what else can I do??? The vet tech I spoke with (who I really don't like) also suggested putting him on Prozac and confining him to a small room by himself for 6 weeks. Ugh. Seriously? We've tried the Prozac before and I didn't find it made any difference. I'd rather not go down that road again. 6 weeks of confinement - okay, I can handle that, I think. If it helps to get him back to using the litterbox all the time, then I'll do it.

Sorry this got to be so long. I just feel like I'm running out of options. You guys are my only hope. So please, share your advice here!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Coco got Depo Shots an they cause some of her Bladder Problems. She had bladder stones that were strovite. I do not understand why the Vet would give your Cat C/D? It is for Struvite Crystals not Calcium Oxalate Crystals. Coco is Allergic to everything also but she is ok on C/D. I asked my Vet if I can use another food also. She is on Royal Canin Urinary now. That one is for both kinds of crystals. She loves the taste also.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I understand to much acidifying to dissolve the struvite, will create the oxalate. You do not acidify with the oxalate. something is fishy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

materialsgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

From what I understand to much acidifying to dissolve the struvite, will create the oxalate. You do not acidify with the oxalate. something is fishy
I apologize - I should have been more specific. The vet wants us to use Hill's c/d Multicare, which treats both types of crystals (struvite and oxalate):
http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/pro...45524441783039

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my Chip had these, too. i put him on the Hill's, but only for a month. then i started adding stuff to his wet to alkalinize his urine - brewer's yeast & potassium citrate. seems to have done the trick - he's not had a problem since.
my objection to the Hill's is it's expensive for the quality.