RIP Tim Russert 1950-2008

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He was a decent, honest, honorable man, I will miss what he contributed.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We heard on the radio while we were out, and Mom and I both just cried. What a fine man he was, both professionally and personally. And I was so looking forward to having his insightful analysis during this election... nobody grasped the subtleties of politics better than he did.

Bless his heart, he went far too young.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

What a fine man he was, both professionally and personally. And I was so looking forward to having his insightful analysis during this election... nobody grasped the subtleties of politics better than he did.

Bless his heart, he went far too young.

I'm going to miss his work - and his voice - very much.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's his wife and son who are in Italy. Supposedly NBC delayed their announcement of it for 15-20 minutes until they were finally able to get hold of his family.

Talk about being blindsided. He seemed so young and healthy. Shocking. Someone on Neil Cavuto (FoxNews) put it so well, that he was "a penetrating mind with an exacting set of standards". Most definitely a very honorable man - one of the very best.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, what a shock
We always watch NBC news, and it's weird knowing that someone who you see so regularly and seemed perfectly healthy has died.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also just saw a clip from NBC News (via TMZ) that the guests on his weekend program (taped earlier this morning) commented to each other upon leaving that they thought he didn't look very well.

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I, too, was a fan of Tim Russert and will miss him greatly.

caprice

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very sad
He was so young like my father (he died last year at the age of 55). May his wife and son find peace at this time of tragedy

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Crikey, I know he's a respected journalist, but do they really need to dedicate hours worth of evening news programs to him rather than showing the news?!! We still have no real idea why the sky is covered in thick, orange smoke.

They said on the news that in politics right now, the only death more shocking than his would be one of the candidates themselves. Come on... I did like his style of reporting, but I am amazed at how much coverage its getting.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got nothing about a kidnapping in Stockton.

They showed a bit about the fires, but we're still not really sure what's causing the smoke above us - we assume it's the Santa Cruz fires, but they really didn't show much.

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Crikey, I know he's a respected journalist, but do they really need to dedicate hours worth of evening news programs to him rather than showing the news?!! We still have no real idea why the sky is covered in thick, orange smoke.

They said on the news that in politics right now, the only death more shocking than his would be one of the candidates themselves. Come on... I did like his style of reporting, but I am amazed at how much coverage its getting.
I would guess that's local news and Tim Russert's death is national news? Our local news channels had it as a story, but didn't disregard local coverage. Or were you watching MSNBC or CNN??? I expect them to cover his death extensively, he was a leader in their industry and a respected colleague.