I thought cats didn't like citrus fruits?

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This morning I got out my lemon bran muffin and put it in a plastic bag. Put the bag in my work bag and went on about getting ready for work. I thought I heard someone in the bag, but then the noise stopped. I thought maybe Jordan got a good wiff of the lemon and decided to leave the muffin alone. Well I stand up off the couch and start to walk towrds where my bag is, and there is Levi licking his lips. I couldn't believe it he had eaten a whole corner of the muffin. I don't know what was more shocking the fact that he ate a lemon muffin or the fact that it was Levi. Levi is my good boy who never does anything wrong. Well this morning he got told bad boy, which didn't phase him at all, and then got a kiss & a giggle.
(and for anyone wondering yes I still ate my muffin.)

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No one told mine they aren't meant to like citrus either

It's always funnier when 'the good one' does something cheeky. I don't have a good one at present, they are all devils.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

This morning I got out my lemon bran muffin and put it in a plastic bag. Put the bag in my work bag and went on about getting ready for work. I thought I heard someone in the bag, but then the noise stopped. I thought maybe Jordan got a good wiff of the lemon and decided to leave the muffin alone. Well I stand up off the couch and start to walk towrds where my bag is, and there is Levi licking his lips. I couldn't believe it he had eaten a whole corner of the muffin. I don't know what was more shocking the fact that he ate a lemon muffin or the fact that it was Levi. Levi is my good boy who never does anything wrong. Well this morning he got told bad boy, which didn't phase him at all, and then got a kiss & a giggle.
(and for anyone wondering yes I still ate my muffin.)
Any time DW starts peeling an orange which is quite often, Persi comes around and starts nibbling on the white stuff on the inner peel which he can pull off and eat. He does not eat the orange per se, but I guess he read somewhere that the white stuff is where all the nutrients are.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know I just realized that last night Levi ate (& threw back up) most of a piece of klenex. So maybe he just has no sense of smell.

I did try to give a little piece of the muffin to Isaac, he turned his nose up & pushed it away super fast. He has always had the most sensitive nose. The slightest of perfume smells & he crinkles is nose up in the cutest little way.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley LOVES mandarin oranges. He will beg and beg for a bite when I'm eating it. He also loves pineapple. I've never offered him lemon or lime, but there is no food he has turned down yet

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Chay adores fruit of all types - I know that he's eaten grapefruit before, and both of my cats go after my orange juice.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boyfriend once made lemon cupcakes in my apartment. We went next door for a few minutes, and when we came back, Willow had taken little bites out of a bunch of them after dragging them off the plate and onto the counte and the floor.

Cats aren't supposed to like sweet things either, but that never stopped Spot from devouring cookies. I learned (through accidental means) that he liked chocolate chip and shortbread, in particular.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Charlie will eat peaches, blueberries, strawberries, and has drank Pina Colada & Strawberry smoothies (from V-8). I'm not sure if he's had oranges, but I'm sure he would sample a lemon muffin

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The only thing I know my cats would definitely not approve of is the smell of vinegar. Smelling it tends to drive them away.

Oranges and lemons don't do the job.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
The only time I used a citrus deterrent, Lucy ended up eating part of the Christmas tree.

The only smell that I've found my cats don't like are bananas. They wrinkle up their noses.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine didn't get that memo either, she takes lemons off my glass and chews on them.
She will eat salad and basically anything and everything, lettuce, carrots, olives, give her anything that is edible and watch her eat it in a second. The little kitty is far far away from picky!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I don't think I have ever witnessed Trout with citrus..I will have to investigate further and report back...

kittygurl6989

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So me and my hubby got some taco bell the other day. we had accidentally left a soft shell taco out on the table i remembered later that night and went to the living room to throw it out. My gizmo beat me to it he ate the whole thing lettuce and all..and most of the wrapper! i couldn't believe it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittygurl6989

So me and my hubby got some taco bell the other day. we had accidentally left a soft shell taco out on the table i remembered later that night and went to the living room to throw it out. My gizmo beat me to it he ate the whole thing lettuce and all..and most of the wrapper! i couldn't believe it!
So how bad was the litter box the next day?

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess cat vs citrus rule does not always apply.
My baby-cat seems to love oranges. Everytime I start peeling one, she runs to me & sniffs around. Last time she did that, I let her sniff a tiny part of orange pulps. She first sniffed it, started licking it, then licked it all off!
So I gave her a bit more, placed a couple of dime-sized bits in her bowl - she ate them all!

Besides oranges, she loves strawberries, apples, peaches, tomatoes, and steamed broccoli. Contrary to the myth, I also discovered that some vinegar is OK with her, too. I was eating a salad that had balsamic vinegar in it. She came to me & sniffed around as usual. I wasn't paying too much attention & momentally stepped away as I assumed that she wouldn't even bother anything with vinegar in it.

WRONG! When I came back, I caught her licking the dressing off from the salad bowl