Feeding Mom and Kittens

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Mommy" has been home with us a week now- 7 days. From the time she came home last Thursday until today, she has eaten maybe 16 ounces of wet food. No noticeable dry food, and no noticeable water.

Also, she has not hardly used the bathroom. Sorry, litterbox! I have seen three puddles of pee, and three one inch around poops (not all at once).

I'm starting to worry about her. That doesn't seem normal. I've looked on here, asked in passing, asked the rescue, and asked my vet and fostering friends. They all say that mommy is fine and will put the kittens first, and as long as I leave food out, all will be ok.

Today, the kittens have been acting like they're starving. I've checked their little tummies, and they are all firm, no wrinkles or saggy looking emptiness. Is it normal for them to suckle everything? Before today, they weren't nursing on everything like that. Today, they were suckling on every part of me. Fingers, skin, clothes. And on the carpet, blankets, and each other. They've each gained about an ounce since I was first able to weigh them over the weekend, which is about on track. Today little Tortuga had a messy bum. Looks like she either is learning to potty on her own or mommy didn't clean it very well.

Sorry I'm rambling. I'm a new, worried foster mommy and would just really appreciate if you all who have gone before me could make me feel better. Tell me it's normal and she's fine and I don't have to worry.

Or if it's not normal, tell me I need to bring them back to the vet or something. Though I sure hope not! Mommy has always seemed to be doing a great job!

Thanks.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
well, i've never had a pregnant cat, but i don't think that sounds right...

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might want to give mama some of the KMR, too. It's nutritious and liquid in case she's a little dehydrated.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I feed Mamma as much as she will take, at the start of the kittens life the first few weeks Mamma eats the kids stool, to keep the den clean, potty too. She cleans the little bottoms to make the kittens go to the bathroom. She may not come out too much to eat, if she feels that the kittens are not safe.
Change the water alot, they like fresh water! I offer KMR, but I don't let it stay down too long it will spoil. She should be drinking more, she will not make milk if she is not drinking. When the kittens open eyes you can start offering food in a dish to them water too. Plates with low sides work nice, the kittens will walk in it, and make a total mess. If your litter box is empty, she my be going some place other then the box.
Best of luck, call the vet, do what you feel is best for the cats/kittens.
Sometimes we can't explain why cats do what they do.
K.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks to you all for your help!

Originally Posted by laureen227

well, i've never had a pregnant cat, but i don't think that sounds right...
Yeah, it really seems weird. I've talked to my vets, the rescue, and some vet / foster friends, and most of them say that it "should be fine". Even when I asked the vet if I should bring her or them in, they said no, unless they seem sick or lethargic.

Originally Posted by the godess bast

you might want to suplament with some kmr (kitten milk replacer) just to help mom out
Thanks! I think if they are still acting like they're starving today, I will try that. I've never bottle fed before, and though I want them to nurse because it's best for them all, a part of me really wants to bottle feed!

Originally Posted by AddieBee

You might want to give mama some of the KMR, too. It's nutritious and liquid in case she's a little dehydrated.
Actuallly, she has been getting some KMR. I've heard that it can make her stomach upset, and that's the last thing she needs right now, so I'm not giving too much. And of the little I give, she only drinks a little anyway...

Originally Posted by wingss2fly

I feed Mamma as much as she will take, at the start of the kittens life the first few weeks Mamma eats the kids stool, to keep the den clean, potty too. She cleans the little bottoms to make the kittens go to the bathroom. She may not come out too much to eat, if she feels that the kittens are not safe.
Change the water alot, they like fresh water! I offer KMR, but I don't let it stay down too long it will spoil. She should be drinking more, she will not make milk if she is not drinking. When the kittens open eyes you can start offering food in a dish to them water too. Plates with low sides work nice, the kittens will walk in it, and make a total mess. If your litter box is empty, she my be going some place other then the box.
Best of luck, call the vet, do what you feel is best for the cats/kittens.
Sometimes we can't explain why cats do what they do.
K.
I know she cleans them, which why I was surprised to see a little mess there. It was the first thing that made me worry. Is it normal for them to just leave one mess lying around?

The weird thing is, she hasn't even been with the kittens for over 24 hours. She is hiding far away from them, and they can't find her. I've tried to put them with her, but she just attacks me (so really, she attacks them). I have only checked on them four times, so she has had a lot of time alone to go back to them, and that's what I'm hoping she's doing.

Their little eyes are open.
I do have food- wet and dry- out all the time, with fresh water, in small plates. These are changed 3 times a day, and usually haven't hardly been touched. The KMR I only give a little every few days so as to not make her sick.

How long is KMR ok to sit? She won't come out of hiding to eat or drink or see her kittens for a while after I go in there. I don't know how long it takes, so I usually leave everything there about 8 hours (since I change them 3 times a day).

I am so worried that she is going somewhere else! The litter box is definitely more empty than it should be. But, where else could she be going? The room is pretty open, we have no plants or anything, and I've looked in all the corners. There is one spot that she likes to hide under the futon, which I haven't been able to see. So, there is like a two foot radius around her she could be going, but then would she lay right in it?

Ah, cats!!

Thanks again for all your help!!