Why Is The Site SO Slow??!!??

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For the last couple of days, it has taken SO long for a page to load, that I've literally lost interest while waiting. It's only happening on TCS....every single other site I've visited has loaded as quickly as it normally does. I can click on a thread, get up, go to the bathroom, go to the kitchen and pour an iced tea, come back to the computer, and still have to wait for the page to load. I was afraid I wasn't going to be able to post Wednesday's Question Of The Day because it loads too slowly. This is ridiculous. What's up?

I've dumped my cookies, cleaned out the cache, done virus scan after virus scan...defragged....everything I can think of to try to speed things up. Nothing is working. It appears to be only this site.

Any insight would really be wonderful!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is very slow for me too! It's getting worse every day. I have tried other sites and checked my end and it's not me. It's getting to the point where it's timing out when I try to get on forum. Trying to read posts and reply is very very slow

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was only me!! I know I had some Microsoft updates yesterday and thought that as the problem. I turned off my firewall so I could get on tonite.
I got on using IE last night and this morning but using Firefox now.
I'm on dial up so my load time is slow to begin with but Firefox would say done and the page would be blank.

vermontcat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm having the same problem!
It's really hard to play games in the arcade because it usually times out and won't submit my score for a game.
I was thinking it was just me and my computer with the problem but now I feel better knowing that it's not just me.

kaspar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The slow downs on vBulletin and pretty much any other forum may be due to the forum been set on a not dedicated server. Even if the server is dedicated it may suffer from the lack of ram, php or mysql been not up to date etc...etc... Also traffic from arcade and 114 been at the same time browsing forum tend to do this.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's been doing this for me too, but just today. Sometimes it's slow and takes so long to load, that by the time I come back to it, I forgot what I was even looking at/posting in.. and other times, like right now, it's like it always is for me. Hopefully it doesn't keep up.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i've been having problems off & on, as well. i'm on broadband/DSL, too, so it isn't just dial-up that's affected...

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
it's happening to me as well and i'm on cable so i'm pretty sure it's the server for the forum?

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
We were having some major server issues yesterday, due to another account being broken into, hacked and made to send out spam. The spam was in such a huge amount, that it pretty much brought the machine to a halt, using up all its resources.

We do have a dedicated server, and it is optimized for Vbulletin. There are other accounts on the server though (Meowhoo.com for example and other sites that I have). Normally this wouldn't pose a problem, but one of them was hacked and abused, causing the slow-down.

I apologize for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the explaination. Its too bad about being hacked though.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

We were having some major server issues yesterday, due to another account being broken into, hacked and made to send out spam. The spam was in such a huge amount, that it pretty much brought the machine to a halt, using up all its resources.

We do have a dedicated server, and it is optimized for Vbulletin. There are other accounts on the server though (Meowhoo.com for example and other sites that I have). Normally this wouldn't pose a problem, but one of them was hacked and abused, causing the slow-down.

I figured it was some sort of server error. Hope everything is back up and running as it should be Anne.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not here enough to have noticed the recent slow-down, but I have noticed that this site often seems to be a little slow in general. I have DSL, and when I click on a thread title, I get a message that says "done" but then it takes a few seconds for the thread to actually appear. The threads always appeared instantly before.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

I was wondering what was going on. It's much better today.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I have the same problem and we have Dsl and Clearwire both fast. I even switched Computers and it stil was terrible.
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I'm not here enough to have noticed the recent slow-down, but I have noticed that this site often seems to be a little slow in general. I have DSL, and when I click on a thread title, I get a message that says "done" but then it takes a few seconds for the thread to actually appear. The threads always appeared instantly before.
I'll ask Scott to check into this thread - not sure why this is happening to you.

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
and when I click on a thread title, I get a message that says "done" but then it takes a few seconds for the thread to actually appear. The threads always appeared instantly before.
This has been happening to me for months. I think it started after the last major software upgrade. It's worst right after first coming into the site, then it's not so bad. This problem has been discussed before at some length in several previous threads.

rabernet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm new here - and I get the same thing - a blank white page that says done, but if you wait another 30 seconds to a minute, it pops up.

Doesn't matter if I'm at work on our network or at home on my dsl.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I hate to say it, but I think the problem many are having is caused at least in part by the dragon eggs so many are using in their siggies. When things start dragging, I get a "waiting for drag-cave" notice. The situation has improved since people have been limited to one egg/dragon, but still exists. I never have the problem in the ML - I assume because none of the mods have dragon eggs. It's not much of a problem in IMO, where very few posters have them. Other forums, however, are quite a different matter.

Has anybody else seen such a notice on their browser?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

Has anybody else seen such a notice on their browser?
Absolutely! The eggs have been starting to slow things down again lately.