My Neighbours are so Ignorant!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The people who live across the hall from me are so ignorant!

Earlier this year they were leaving their garbage bags out in the hallway, including bags of poopy diapers which stunk up the hallway.

I complained about that because it was disgusting and I don't pay $700 per month to live in a building made to look like a ghetto by having trash bags lining the hallway walls.

They stopped putting their garbage in the hallway, but then in early February they started to spray Lysol in the halls instead. I guess to cover the odour of their smelly diapers.

It was making me so sick that I thought I was going to suffocate because I couldn't breath. It affected me to the point that I couldn't go out and do things because I didn't have the breath to do it and I was using my rescue inhaler dozens of times per day wheras before I went weeks and months without using it.

I wrote a notice and put it under their door asking them to please stop and explained how it affected my breathing because I have asthma. I also contacted the agency and explained the situation.

They did stop, but by then the damage was done. My lungs were so inflammed that I had to go back on my steroid inhaler after several years of not having to take it.

It's only been in the last couple of weeks that my lungs have started to feel better and my asthma symptoms have nearly disappeared.

A few days ago they started back up with the freaking Lysol!!!

I woke up this morning short of breath and coughing up chunks of phlegm. Gross I know.

I just wrote them another note and put it under their door and this time I told them to please if they have to spray something, to use "Oust" and even offered to supply it for them. In fact I put a can in a bag and hung it on their door knob!

With neighbours like the ones that keep moving across the hall from me, I can certainly understand why some people actually go and kill their neighbours! I'll admit the thought has crossed my mind a time or two!!!

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I lived in apartment buildings for years, and it can be hell with obnoxious neighbors. The only solution is to buy your own house, which I did. Actually, I still have an apartment upstairs, but I am the landlord, so what I say goes. I have a quiet tenant, who pays her rent on time, so I have no complaints.

I can relate to the toxic fumes as I have reactions to fragrances, lysol, and all of that stuff. But in my office, everyone thinks they have the right to impose that stink on everyone. They are so inconsiderate.

I am surprised you can take oust. I use all natural sprays like simply orange, or I forget soemthing else with essential oils of citrus. they sell them at the health food stores.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would send another certified letter to the management. Your HEALTH is being affected seriously. You also might look into a lawyer and see what can be done.

One thing to deal with trash in the halls; quite another when it affects your health.

Maybe you can figure out how to get your own small house so you don't have to deal with apartment people

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I agree with what Gail said. Buy a house as soon as you can so you don't have to put up with this crap. If you can afford $700/rent, you could afford a pretty decent house (that was the rent I was paying when I bought a house last January....and now my mortgage is just slightly higher than my rent was). Not only do you not have to put up with obnoxious neighbors....but you'll be paying off your own mortgage not somebody else's. And you won't have a landlord dictating how you can live.....ie you can have as many pets as you want!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how you feel I used to live in a Apartment with Halls and the smells were terrible. I would end uo in the Hospital if I lived in your Building. Lysol sets my Asthma off real bad. One of the reasons we want a House is we will be able to do what we want. They have to have Pics of every Cat we have here and we have alot of Rules. Tell the Mgr what they are doing.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't understand why they think they should spray lysol in the publis hallways!? What does that even accomplish?

Some people are wacked.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

I agree with what Gail said. Buy a house as soon as you can so you don't have to put up with this crap. If you can afford $700/rent, you could afford a pretty decent house (that was the rent I was paying when I bought a house last January....and now my mortgage is just slightly higher than my rent was). Not only do you not have to put up with obnoxious neighbors....but you'll be paying off your own mortgage not somebody else's. And you won't have a landlord dictating how you can live.....ie you can have as many pets as you want!
There aren't very many places in Canada where you could get a house that would only cost you $700 a month mortgage, then there are the taxes and mortgage insurance as well as upkeep. Due to her health, Linda would also have to hire out the yard work and snow removal for the winter and I believe she is on a fixed income so I don't see buying a house an option for her. Canadian housing prices are very high. We live in a little bungalow 1100 sq. ft. and the selling price right now would be around $320,000. The new townhouses being built in our little town 1 hour away from Toronto are starting at $349,900.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
too bad you couldn't include a phlegm wad w/your note... but i guess that'd be too antagonistic!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

too bad you couldn't include a phlegm wad w/your note... but i guess that'd be too antagonistic!
EWWWW!!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

There aren't very many places in Canada where you could get a house that would only cost you $700 a month mortgage, then there are the taxes and mortgage insurance as well as upkeep. Due to her health, Linda would also have to hire out the yard work and snow removal for the winter and I believe she is on a fixed income so I don't see buying a house an option for her. Canadian housing prices are very high. We live in a little bungalow 1100 sq. ft. and the selling price right now would be around $320,000. The new townhouses being built in our little town 1 hour away from Toronto are starting at $349,900.
Yes, thank you.

There is no way I can buy a house. I am on a fixed income that bearly meets my monthly needs and have just recently declared bankruptcy. Even if I were working at my job right now I still wouldn't be able to afford a house. The 1 or 2 bedroom houses here average about $175,000. That's near impossible to afford on one income. And if it's listed at $175,000, expect it to sell for closer to $200,000. If you want a nice area of town, look at adding $100,000 to that.

My brother bought his house 10 years ago for $72,000 and today it's valued at $200,000 and would likely sell for $225,000 or more if he put it on the market.

Even condos are outrageous at about $150,000 or more for a one bedroom and living in a condo is just like living in an apartment as far as I'm concerned.

And like you said, not only is there mortgage, but also taxes and utilities (which an cost $300 or more per month especially in the winter for heating). Then there is the upkeep of the yard (lawn mowing, raking, shoveling snow), and then general maintenance of repairs as needed. I physically can't do that kind of stuff and I'd have to pay someone to come in and do it.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
take it up with your landlord for sure they gotta do something about it if it's affecting your health! stupid rude people...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I called the rental agency just now and talked to the property manager.

The first time I complained earlier this year about it they sent the caretakers to talk to them. That is why the spraying stopped.

They are going to send the caretakers back again. If they keep it up after that they are going to get an official warning letter from the agency telling them that if they don't stop that they will be evicted.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
good show someone who does something and gets a person who does something in return!!

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Wow....sorry didn't know house prices were so high up there. Down here, I got a 1200 sq house w/ mostly finished basement for $105,000. Including taxes and insurance, my payments are just $145/mo. than what I was paying for rent.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

Wow....sorry didn't know house prices were so high up there. Down here, I got a 1200 sq house w/ mostly finished basement for $105,000. Including taxes and insurance, my payments are just $145/mo. than what I was paying for rent.
Wow, what a deal. Our first townhouse we bought in 1981 was an expensive end unit and we paid a whopping $49,900 for it. That same townhouse now would be closer to 300-350K

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Eeew. If they are spraying the hallway to mask smells from behind their apartment door, imagine what it smells like IN their apartment!
How do people live like that?! It's awful that your health suffered as a result of their gross living habits. Thank goodness your building management is taking action.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, what a deal. Our first townhouse we bought in 1981 was an expensive end unit and we paid a whopping $49,900 for it. That same townhouse now would be closer to 300-350K
mine was even cheaper - a 927 sq ft 2bed/1bath/1car garage for around $60,000. even today, i doubt i could get more than $80,000-$90,000 for it...

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

mine was even cheaper - a 927 sq ft 2bed/1bath/1car garage for around $60,000. even today, i doubt i could get more than $80,000-$90,000 for it...
The cost of living in most places in Canada, especially Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are way, way up there. Winnipeg isn't far behind them.

We are positively taxed to death up here. I saw on the news that 30% of the price of each litre of gas that we buy is taxes of some kind. Same with cigarettes. I nearly fell over when I saw a guy buying 2 packages of cigarettes and paying over $25 for them. I think they are $13.00/package of 50. Probably 1/2 is taxes.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wow..I didn't realize Canada was so expensive.

Thats one of the (few) good reasons to live in central Illinois, real estate is relatively cheap. I lucked out because this house has been totally remodeled and updated....so I won't have to do anything for a long time. Which is a good thing, because being an accountant, I'm not exactly Bob Villa!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

The cost of living in most places in Canada, especially Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver are way, way up there. Winnipeg isn't far behind them.

We are positively taxed to death up here. I saw on the news that 30% of the price of each litre of gas that we buy is taxes of some kind. Same with cigarettes. I nearly fell over when I saw a guy buying 2 packages of cigarettes and paying over $25 for them. I think they are $13.00/package of 50. Probably 1/2 is taxes.
gosh, i thought cigs were pricey here! i just bought a carton today - total of 200 cigarettes, just a few cents over $50... so that about $0.25 per cigaratte. yours are $0.26 per cigarette, so about the same - but i buy an expensive brand. off brands can be quite a bit cheaper. they're also cheaper just north of here, in Oklahoma - used to be worth the gas to drive up there, but w/gas prices the way they are, i don't know if that still would hold true.