Some quick vibes for my photographer brother?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just in the past nine months or so, my brother Noel has become a night photographer, and he's already made quite a name for himself. Tonight, he's one of five finalists in the Dallas chapter of a national competition called "Unscene." Mom and I are leaving now to go to the fancy-schmancy event at which the photos will be displayed and the winner will be announced.

If Noel wins, a downtown gallery will host his own one-man show for a month, and his photos will be displayed on the giant screens on the outside of the American Airlines Center building downtown for two weeks -- a pretty good bit of exposure!

Just being in the show this evening is sufficiently cool, but... a few "win!" vibes for my brother would be awfully nice. Here's his Flickr site, in case you haven't already seen his work (I'm forever bragging on him here
)...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nkerns/

russian blue

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have a chance to read every thread but I had no idea your brother was so into photography! It's so interesting to see pictures 'out of the norm', especially dealing with the night subject.

Very cool and interesting!

Many out his way!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hopefully his work will get the recognition it deserves!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
wow is work is awesome!! lots of for him GOOD LUCK!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of those pictures are just haunting. I'm amazed at his talent. I just wish he could have gotten pictures of the figurines under the weigh station. That must have been fascinating! Many "WIN" vibes being sent his way!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i'll send some
my brother, Scott, is also a photographer. he's sold some of his work. but it's not like Neil's - it doesn't have all of the fancy gelled colors...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laureen, I'd love to see Scott's work! Is he online somewhere?

I'm sorry to report that Noel did not win the award tonight. But he sold seven prints, and the woman who won the contest only sold one print, so... the popular vote was clear.

And oh my gosh, the show was at the W Hotel downtown, which has to be the hippest place I've ever been in my life! It was like walking around inside one of Noel's lightpainted photos -- all odd angles and unexpected colors contrasting with deep, dark shadows. The hallways were lit by a purple glow spilling out from under the edges of the walls... and in the restroom, the sinks were filled with smooth black stones! This was a revelation to me: now I want rocks in all our sinks at home! (But when I said that to one of Noel's photographer friends, he said, "I don't know, you'd probably just get toothpaste all over 'em..."
)

And there was a "curtain" that hung across an expanse of glass about 30 feet wide and 50 feet tall: little plastic cows, horses, and cowboys hanging evenly spaced on strings all the way across. In case you forget you're in Texas, see.

So... it would have been nice if Noel had won, but he got seen by about three hundred people in a very happening place, and people were eagerly outbidding each other for his prints in the silent auction, so... that was good! His profit amounted to double the outlay he had put into prints and mounting... he ran out of business cards... and he met a lot of good contacts tonight. And afterward, he and Mom and I went to IHOP, so... a good time was had by all.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, he's online somewhere... i'll have to email him & ask for the link.
glad to hear Noel did so well - don't know why i called him Neil in my earlier post

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh thank you! He's so good at capturing expressions -- very beautiful work!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh thank you! He's so good at capturing expressions -- very beautiful work!
almost all of those [if not all] are either his children or our nieces & nephews...