Job Hunting Woes

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It is so darn difficult to get a job right now and it is really starting to get me down.
My teaching assistantship contract ended in early May and I have applied for at least sixteen different positions since then and have ended up with nothing. All of the job interviews I've had have gone very well, but the positions always end up being offered to someone else. Perhaps I am too eager. Whenever someone contacts me about a job, I jump on it immediately and end up being the first person interviewed. Perhaps I get overlooked because of that.
Of course, that is when I am lucky enough to get an interview at all. Often I get a rejection letter without even getting the chance to interview. It is all very frustrating. I have clerical and teaching experience and am very educated (I am 3 hours away from completing graduate school and have maintained a 4.0 GPA). I am really beginning to wonder why I even bothered going to grad school. It isn't like it has actually done much for me - other than leave me overqualified for pretty much everything.

Today, out of desperation, I went to the hotel near my apartment and filled out an application for a housekeeping job. They hired me on the spot and I start on Monday - so at least I have something to keep us going for a little while. I'm not above doing physical work like that and am really just relieved to have a job to go to at this point. The only thing that kind of gets me is that my husband went in as well and applied with me and he got a better job than I did! He has no formal job experience, no college degree, and has been a househusband since we've been married. I'm happy for him, though. It just kind of makes me mad that the management didn't even seem to think a woman fit to be a front desk clerk. Grrrr!
Oh well. It has been great for DH's self esteem and I am so happy for that.

Anyway, I just needed to vent and thank you to everyone who was willing to read through my pity party here. Lol! I know that a lot of us are experiencing job hunting stress right now and I feel for you terribly. Good luck to all of us who are looking for something better!

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there tutoring jobs you can apply for. There are I believe franchise places that tutor students that usually are looking for college grads. Have you checked out temp firms??

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, Honey, I cannot see you staying at the housekeeping job for long. I know you said you were desperate and have applied many, many times for jobs more suitable. But I just don't see this as your solution.

Have you tried applying at your local hospital? I work in one and there are a gazillion different clerical jobs and then you can work your way into the Education Department. Although you don't teach nursing, our Education Dept offers all kinds of classes for us administrative people. To get your foot in the door, you sometimes have to settle for a rather mundane job, like an Admitting Clerk or Unit Support, but it's the only way to get the good jobs because in-house people get first dibs.

Just a thought..................

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

Are there tutoring jobs you can apply for. There are I believe franchise places that tutor students that usually are looking for college grads. Have you checked out temp firms??
We have a Sylvan in the area and they aren't looking for anyone at present, unfortunately. I have applied at a local temp firm as well. I have not heard anything back as of yet, but hope springs eternal!

Originally Posted by Mz Kitty

Oh, Honey, I cannot see you staying at the housekeeping job for long. I know you said you were desperate and have applied many, many times for jobs more suitable. But I just don't see this as your solution.

Have you tried applying at your local hospital? I work in one and there are a gazillion different clerical jobs and then you can work your way into the Education Department. Although you don't teach nursing, our Education Dept offers all kinds of classes for us administrative people. To get your foot in the door, you sometimes have to settle for a rather mundane job, like an Admitting Clerk or Unit Support, but it's the only way to get the good jobs because in-house people get first dibs.

Just a thought..................
I have actually applied at our local hospital. I was hoping that maybe I would stand a chance since it is expanding. One of the administrative jobs I applied for at the hospital sent me a rejection letter straight away without an interview, but I have recently applied for two other admitting clerk positions. One of them is the evening shift, so perhaps I will have a shot at that one. Today I applied for a secretary position in the Athletics - Football department at my university. It would really be nice if something came of that. I'm just going to try to keep my chin up and keep at it. There is no mistaking it, our local economy is BAD and it is just going to take some time, I suppose.

Thank you to everyone for their kind words and suggestions!

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I really hope the hospital job works out. Besides meeting very nice people at a hospital, the benefits are wonderful (PTO, sick leave, insurance, et). And believe it or not, I count having a cafeteria as a benefit. I can eat breakfast and lunch there for half of what you would pay at a fast food joint. Employees get a break on food, a discount off what visitors pay.

Keep us posted.

And, if you should get the evening position, don't worry. Once you get your foot in the door, you will be able to move up to days. It doesn't take long to build seniority.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know where you are in Texas, but I work for a school district on the north side of Dallas. Yes, that one. We have huge need for substitute teachers. And once the school recognizes you as a great sub, you get all the work you handle. And the state offers alternative certification for teachers, if you are interested in persuing that.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a grad degree, been in your spot more than once, I really really feel for you. Here is some advice: If you are still in the degree program go to your school, career services, have them help you. They can help you with your resume and help you get a job. Search the college websites. Apply at all temp places in your area. You can search the normal websites, but know everyone else is too (Monster, CareerBuilder, etc.) But still try. Go to career fairs. Apply with the state. You can even work at department stores, they are always hiring. Apply at your school. Maybe be a graduate assistant, or you can find other positions.
DO INTERNSHIPS! You might not get paid a lot, but they will be a step towards what you want to do and you will have a chance to connect with people that can help your career. My degree program required students to do an internship. Talk to your professors, classmates, family, friends, old bosses, etc. networking is critical. Good luck

I now have a career I really love and that is applicable to my degree, but it was hard getting there. And it is far away from where I live. But worth it.