3 year old cat, back legs question

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lately I noticed that my 3 y.o. cat does not want to jump up and tries to pull herself up if the surface is low enough. She puts the front paws up and then climbs with the back paws. Also noticed that she tries to avoid jumping off high surfaces, instead of jumping off the cat tree, she went on to the couch and then onto the floor. She has a great appetite (even sneaks food from other cats) and she grooms herself well. She weighs 11 lbs, so weight is not an issue. When I rub back paws, she does not mind, so it does not look like they hurt. She still jumps up once in a while, but it feels like she tries to avoid it. Her activity level is low but she was always a loner, did not like to play with her brother.
Would appreciate any advice and any thoughts.
Thanks

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree to have the vet check for arthritis. The one cat I had got it at age 7 and she lived till 18. The vet put her on one aspirin a week. Do not just give her that - aspirin can kill a cat, so you have to give it sparingly and with a vet's prescription/dosage.

smirkitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A glucosamine/chondroitin supplement could also help, if it is joint pain. My cat was on consequin, which is that supplement, in a cat dosage.

You have to be VERY careful giving people medicine to cats, their livers and kidneys function differently from people, and those medicines can kill them.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
With all the input on here. I would urge you not to self-diagnose/medicate.

I have to say, you have me totally confused when you said
...When I rub back paws, she does mind, so it does not look like they hurt...
For me, if the cat "minds" being felt/touched, that means something is wrong.

As well, such a change in behaviour involving rear legs (formerly jumping, but now "avoiding" jumping) might indicate anemia or low potassium level.

Straight-up advice: take her to the Vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

katielv

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the input. i meant to say when i rub her legs she does NOT mind.

blaise

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatieLV

thanks for the input. i meant to say when i rub her legs she does NOT mind.
I don't find that very reassuring......

I'll share with you one of the greatest regrets of my life...

Almost four years ago, my cat, who had been renowned for seeking out the highest possible perches in the house, stopped this behaviour. At that time, knowing nothing about the importance of observing my cat's behaviour, I didn't take notice of it. A couple of months later, he suddenly "crashed"...he collapsed, lost all control of his bowels and bladder and became, within 30 seconds, a limp ball of fur. I rushed him to the ER Vet where he was diagnosed with anemia associated with Feline Leukemia.

To this day, the following 2 months are a blur. They ended with my cat being euthanized.

There were other twists and turns, including an incompetent and inexperienced Veterinarian who was getting advice via email from her Veterinary school........

It was only, in looking back, that I recognized that I had seen the tell-tale warning signs...but didn't recognize them as messages that SOMETHING WAS WRONG. You've noticed the behaviour change....act on it!