Engagement ring styles

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have a non-traditional engagement ring? I'm curious to know what other opinions are on non-traditional engagement rings, or if anyone else has/had one. What are some other non-traditional ideas you've heard of?

When we went ring shopping I/we picked out an antique style half eternity band for an engagement ring. Part of the reasoning, a big reason actually, was that we were/are in college with not lot of money. We decided that we could use the same ring as a wedding band, and one day when we had more money we could add a second ring. Some people are just confused, or ask me if I feel like I missed out on something. We're not a very traditional couple, and this idea was great for us.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I myself am not a very traditional girl, so I don't know what would qualify as a traditional ring!

This is my engagement ring:

I like it! Though not sure that's what you had in mind! Yours sounds very nice. Do you have a picture? Are you officially engaged?

My logic is, it's your engagement, your wedding, your marriage, your life. You do what you want!! I have that engagement ring, which is silver, and a really cheap simple plain gold band as the wedding ring. Can you believe I've had people not "approve"? I also had a super-casual wedding, and it was PERFECT IN EVERY WAY. I wouldn't have it any other way. And yet I had friends that told me it was weird! One of my best friends has a ring with a saphire instead of a diamond. I love it, it's beautiful!

If you're "not very traditional", great! That means you are you and will be quite happy.

Whether you are or will be engaged, congratulations!!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not a traditional person either. When we got engaged, we never bothered with an engagement ring at all. We thought it was a waste of money that we didn't have, and if anybody had a problem with it, well, that was their problem!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. Do what you feel is right for you. The ring is merely a symbol... what's important is what you have with each other.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non-traditional here.

I work with my hands a lot and use tools so the last thing I need is something with a gem sticking out. Hubby designed a ring just for me (how 'bout THAT
) that most people think looks like a "Mother's ring." It has three small oblong stones all the same size: a diamond, a ruby and an emerald, the diamond is in the center and the toher stones are on either side. It is set in gold that sort of looks like a vine/ wrought iron if you know what I mean. Nothing sticks out so I can slide my hand in and out of my pockets and also I don't ahve to worry about it getting digned up. The only not-so-great thing is that the ornate design traps soap and also the mild chemicals that I sometimes work with so it is difficult to clean. But all in all I like having something unique!

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My husband and I aren't traditional either. We ended up just getting white gold commitment bands for each other shortly after we got engaged. It was really all that we could afford, anyway. When we got married we ended up using the bands as our wedding rings because of the sentimental attatchment.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is my engagement ring

And the wedding band is just a plain gold band

The rings belonged to my husbands mum who died when he was just a couple of months old. It's not what all the kids are choosing these days for wedding bands, but it's special to us, and that's all that matters.

Do whatever YOU want to do!

Edit to add: I also wear my rings "back to front", with the engagement ring on first, and then the wedding band. Apparently the wedding band is supposed to go on first so it's "closest to your heart" or something... My engagement ring is a little big, but couldn't get resized any smaller as it's quite fine, so I have to wear the wedding band on top to make sure the engagement ring doesn't fall off

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whiteforest

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not at home right now, so I don't have an actual picture, but mine looks pretty much like this one here:

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is my engagement ring. It has 7 small diamonds down each side and then one bigger one in the middle.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't get a good picture of mine, but it is a rose for the engagement ring and the wedding band are leaves that fit right next to it

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is kind of traditional..it is a 1/4 ct solitaire with a 3/4 ct wrap. I LOVED my mom's ring that had the flat old fashioned setting, but they are hard to find. Although, the best place too look for something different is on Ebay. They have some wonderful estate rings...I fell in love with one that was set like an old engagement ring but was an opal instead (and, I could wear it because I'm an October baby!).

Go with what you like. Heck, my aunt told her husband to forget the engagement ring and buy her a new dishwasher instead. When people asked to see her ring, she would tell them to come to the house and they could load it for her!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In the unlikely event my sweetie and I ever marry, I would want a heart shaped ruby or garnet set in white gold or silver. Maybe for our 25th anniversary of being unmarried, only 1.5 years to go.

All of you have picked out beautiful rings, saraph, I LOVE yours.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I got engaged I had a titanium band with a sapphire...

Like this, but a sapphire.

I still have it somewhere. It was cheap anyway.

I much prefered to those froo-froo sparkle fests.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I'm not much of a traditionalist.
In fact I've always said that when and if I ever get married that I want to wear a red gown and have everyone else in white
My Daughter says she is going to wear a red wedding dress when she gets married.
I told her it's your wedding you can do what you want.
I think my ring is traditional. it has three diamonds, the centre one is larger, and the side ones are little hearts with diamonds in the centre. Dh chose it because I love hearts