What have your cats learned from each other?

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have noticed that my cats pick up habits of the other ones.

Fiona never scratched the scratching post till ReeRee came along and started to stratch and I saw her do it that same day for the first time!
and he was the BABY .....wasn't she supposed to be teaching him?

Also, ReeRee learned how to clean properly...at all actually
He was a mess when i got him but Fiona is meticulous about being clean and would hold him down to clean him....I have video to prove it! ...he started to clean himself after too many Fiona baths!

Rocko taught them both how to cuddle with humans. Neither of them would lay on your lap or nap with you. Rocko is TOTALLY in love with love
and he shared that with them. They take turns on our laps and napping with us.

What have your cats learned from each other? I thought this may be fun to hear about.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Abby was 4 months old when she came to live with us. Chynna taught her how to use the stacked cardboard boxes to scratch and not the furniture. That's pretty much it.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wiggies taught Pushy to open the tin of kibble with his nose.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

Wiggies taught Pushy to open the tin of kibble with his nose.
Now that is a skill worth knowing!!!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
pepe taught tiger how to use the scratching post which I thought was cute and also i've noticed them where it seems like their saying to eachother "if we team up with our cuteness mum will give in "
my evil boys

deedeemay

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Arwen has taught Shark and Brandy how to jump up at the door handles to get them open..and she is the baby of the group!

Brandy has taught them how to use the scratching post instead of the furniture

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dante taught Dharma how to get her collar off, as well as why eating the indoor grass is so good. Dhama taught Dante that a sad little mew is guaranteed to get meowmy up no matter what time it is, even if meowmy is ignoring louder meows.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Spike has a quirk that he's had since he was a kitten... every time he shakes, he shakes so hard that his front feet come way up off of the ground. Captain Squishy has picked that same quirk up from watching Spike!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Riley is teaching Johnny Cash all his bad habits
such as biting my ankles when I'm fixing his breakfast, when he thinks I'm not moving quick enough.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Meeko taught Sasha how to wreck a role of toilet paper. Now Oreo dose it. I am mad at Sasha and Oreo right now. I was brushing the Cats in the bathroom but the phone rang. i talked not even 5 minutes and they had the toilet paper shredded all over. Meeko also taught them how to take the towells down.

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kittens are about 3 mos. old... Ginger taught Marianne that dogs weren't so bad after all... now Marianne plays with our dog more than Ginger... she also helped her get over her shyness... Marianne taught Ginger to enjoy a good cuddle... they are a great pair!

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my kittens are about 3 mos. old... Ginger taught Marianne that dogs weren't so bad after all... now Marianne plays with our dog more than Ginger... she also helped her get over her shyness... Marianne taught Ginger to enjoy a good cuddle... they are a great pair!

mama of bronte

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 year old (Sasha) and a 4 year old (Zorro) right now. Sasha taught Zorro his manners, and how to open the dry food bucket with his nose. Also, to enjoy being brushed. Zorro, even though he is younger, taught Sasha to open doors with their paws, and is to this day trying to convince her that mice taste better than birds

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Because my cats have access to the outdoors, the older ones taught the young ones what is fun, what is bad and dangerous, etc.
However, quite often like people, the wisdom of the elders is ignored and the youngsters get into trouble - stuck up a tree, stung by a bee, going up the wrong counter, climbing the wall of the nasty neighbor...!

frootloop

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sassafrass taught Socks how to knock stuff down off of tables, counters, etc. It's something they do when they're bored, or if you're not paying attention to them. Also, Sass does that if you keep her in one of the bedrooms for too long... Instead of leaving his glass of water on the bedside table, my roommate put it on top of his computer, thinking that Sass wouldn't go up there. Well, she did, and knocked that cup down, spilling water all over his keyboard and mouse. She taught him that she will go wherever you put something that can get pushed over.

That, and a while ago one of them got a hold of the cat nip bag... We think Sass got it down and Socks tore it open. There was cat nip all over the carpet... and thus we have no more. I hope they had a fun party and enjoyed the rest of it... lol

kittybella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This one isn't so cute but here goes....I once had my mother watch all 4 of my cats for about 6 months because I was living overseas, well, she also had a cat, a big male cat who liked to stalk them whenever they were going potty in the cat pan..well wouldn't you know it, but two of them picked up his habit and every now and then I will find one of them hiding and waiting for another cat to come out of the cat pan so that they can jump on them and go running!! tsk tsk tsk

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Delilah taught Belle that the counters/stove/other high surfaces aren't unsurmountable territory. However, Belle can't jump that high yet and is none to happy that Delilah can get up there and she can't.

Belle taught Delilah that she is the boss. Delilah just waits until Belle is done playing/eating before going near her, the toy, or the dish.

They have taught each other a lot of things, but I can't always determine who the mastermind is. When one figures out some kind of trouble, the other follows shortly behind!