Not sure what to do

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Last night my little toy pom Sophie (that has congestive heart failure), open the door, where I have my semi-feral Mom and babies, Mom went balistic. I grab my little dog, and lifted her up, Mom torn my hands to shreds .then She began attacking my legs, before I could get out of the room, I was bleeding all over. I think I should have gotten, one of the wounds on my hand stitched. I cleaned all my wounds. Now I am terrified of her. The kittens are five weeks old. I put up ads to give the kittens away, when they are old enough. to responsible caring homes. no calls. I am debating, if I should call the SPCA in the city. At least I would know the kittens, would find responsible homes. I don't think they'll be able to home Mom.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First thing you should do is get to the doctor asap and go on antibiotics. You have to say it was a stray you tried to catch though, or they'll want to quarantine mom. If you're bitten that bad, you will get severely infected.
As for the babies, ask at vet clinics and give your number to them so they can get ahold of you. Then ask them to call you with people's phone numbers. I wouldn't give out your number to the people looking for kittens, though. You can also ask for them to only mention it to good homes. (They can usually tell by their other pet' records, etc...)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

First thing you should do is get to the doctor asap and go on antibiotics. You have to say it was a stray you tried to catch though, or they'll want to quarantine mom. If you're bitten that bad, you will get severely infected.
As for the babies, ask at vet clinics and give your number to them so they can get ahold of you. Then ask them to call you with people's phone numbers. I wouldn't give out your number to the people looking for kittens, though. You can also ask for them to only mention it to good homes. (They can usually tell by their other pet' records, etc...)
She didn't bite she just scratched me really bad, I cleaned the wounds really well, I went to the Dr with cat scratches (when i kittynapped her sone Gus). He tole me just to keep it clean and watch it. there isn't any risk of cat scratch diese here. I have to go to the vet today to buy food, I will ask them , If they could give out my number for the kittens. Thank you I hadn't thought of that

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! That's so scary! I'm so sorry for you, and hope you heal well.

How is Sophie?? I hope she is ok. That's wonderful you jumped in to save her.

I am SO SCARED that that will happen with my current foster mom. Not sure if she's semi-feral or feral or what, but she is mean. We're being really careful, but I'm sure you were too, and things happen. I'm just glad you were there when Sophie got in!

Unfortunately, I don't have any advice for you. I may be asking you for advice when my kittens are that old! All I know is, if mom gets any meaner or more aggressive with us, we will probably find a way to trap her, spay her, and release her back to the street where she's from as soon as the babies are weaned. Then keep the babies until they are old enough to be spayed. Once yours are old enough to be spayed, the SPCA is probably a good idea, as is menagerie mama's vet's office idea.

Good luck, and that you feel better soon!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no! I know this is terrible for you, but what a good mama she is! She must have been terrified for her kittens! That mommy-protection instinct is SO STRONG!

Maybe she will be calmer and adoptable when she doesn't have babies to protect.

I don't have advice but am sending well vibes for you, and good home vibes for the kittens and mama cat. I'm glad Sophie is okay!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know its a little early, but I would separate mom from the kittens when they are 6-7 weeks old. The kittens are watching the mother's reactions, and could imitate her. You need to give positive influence to the kittens.

Will the mother cat let you handle ANY of the kittens?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know it is hard, but don't be terrified. She wasn't attacking YOU, she was trying to get to the dog. She was protecting her kittens. The next time you go in the room, bring someone else with you. Let that person interact with her. That may calm you down. But if you go in terrified, she is going to get nervous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I know its a little early, but I would separate mom from the kittens when they are 6-7 weeks old. The kittens are watching the mother's reactions, and could imitate her. You need to give positive influence to the kittens.

Will the mother cat let you handle ANY of the kittens?
I have been handling the kittens since they were born. so they get socialized, I have been bring them into the livingroom. The kids, dogs and my other cats have been playing with them. I fed Mom and babies this morning. I didn't stay long, she was really watching me. My biggest fear is that she will go after one of my kids. I have told them to stay away from Mom and babies.