Question Of The Day - Wednesday, June 11th!

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now that summer is here full swing, how do you stay cool?

We've been setting record high temperatures for Michigan...in the 90's already, with either rain or obscenely high humidity. My central air has been running full tilt for weeks now. I also run the ceiling fans. Foods are salads or sandwiches that don't require cooking...and drinking lots of sun tea with tons of ice. I enjoy summer, but I really don't care for the extremely hot weather.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I open the windows in my bedroom wide so it's cool when i go to bed, because i can only leave them open a tiny bit on the safety latch after that incase the kids get out, but all the windows are on the safety latch to let a breeze flow through.

Plenty of iced drinks, and light things to eat. Like you i love the summer but i can't stand it when it's too hot, especially when i'm at work

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A/c and fans and cold drinks and avoiding the outdoors.

And wearing as little as possible.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Around here it hasn't been too bad, heat wise. It's been really stormy and rainy.

Otherwise, I like to go swimming or stay somewhere with AC!

tierre0

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Popcicles, Popcicles, Popcicles.....

Also I eat a lot of chilled fruit and vegetables.

My apartment isn't to bad as long as I have the back and front windows open I seem to get a nice breeze going throw..

Cool showers.

Oh did I mention Popcicles..

kernil

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, I'm actually jelous! Its raining here, is very cold and muggy, and a couple days ago we had hail!

When it is hot though, we basically go swimming-a lot. Last year we invested in a blow-up wading pool, and now when it is scorching we go swimming like 4 times a day! Not so good for your hair, I know, but man it feels good!

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The A/C is on but I still spend the majority of the day out in the heat. I have horses to work with. I just try to stay in the shade or the barn as much as possible, so I'm not directly out in the sun. If I'm moving around a bunch, and I start to get too hot I'll spray myself with the hose to cool off.

Inside in the A/C I'm always freezing and have to wear sweaters. I definitely prefer the outdoors, even when it's nearly unbearably hot!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

Now that summer is here full swing, how do you stay cool?

We've been setting record high temperatures for Michigan...in the 90's already, with either rain or obscenely high humidity. My central air has been running full tilt for weeks now. I also run the ceiling fans. Foods are salads or sandwiches that don't require cooking...and drinking lots of sun tea with tons of ice. I enjoy summer, but I really don't care for the extremely hot weather.
Congratulations to the Red Wings! Perhaps the Stars will make it next year.
I have ceiling fans throughout the house that I run during the day, which greatly reduces my air conditioning costs. I also have a shaded balcony that I am sitting on right now that provides a lot of breeze so that I can still sit out here when it hits 100 and still remain comfortable. I am in the process of fixing the balcony so that the cats can come out and enjoy the breezes with me during the day. Right now there are places they could squeeze through and it is a long drop from the third floor so I have not let them come out yet until I am absolutely sure it is safe for them.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
well, since my a/c is inoperational right now
I have fans running all over my place, drinking lots of ice water, eating popsicles, and like Jan said, wearing as little as possible!

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Got no summer here.....June gloom, I live 16 blocks from the beach & we are very over cast until about 2 in the afternoon.
K

carley

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Central A/C and iced tea! Central AC has become my husband and my best friend. We grew up in houses with only barely adequate window air conditioning units and fans, which doesn't quite cut it on 100+ degree Texas summer days!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A/C is on 24/7 for sure! We swim a lot too that keeps us cool outside.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink ice cold drinks like lemonade, iced tea, juice, etc. but it's snowing now so that's how I keeping cool now.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No need to cool off yet here! I was just able to wear a short sleeved shirt and pants comfortably yesterday.

But when it does get here, everyone thinks I'm crazy, but my favorite thing to do to keep cool is go for a walk with my dogs! Let me explain- not far from us is a park called Sunol. There is a creek there, and as most creeks, it's in a little ravine amongst the hills. So it is shaded and under trees. So my pups and I walk up the creek! It's in the shade and water, so it keeps us nice and cool!

And I'm one of those that wears as little as possible!
Also cool foods like sandwhiches and salads, smoothies, and ice cream!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, summer has given us a couple of brief teases, but mostly it's still cool and rainy, and as June is usually that way anyway, I don't see us having to deal with real summer until July. But when it does get here, it'll be doors and windows wide open and fans running in strategic spots to keep the air moving. It doesn't get hot enough for long enough to think about a/c.

And once we get to that point, I do as much cooking as possible on the BBQ, and otherwise serve lots of salads, so that the kitchen is not heating up any more than necessary. Breakfast on the back porch, dinner on the lawn, minimal clothes, all that...

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Staying in the computer/tv room with the AC on and the door closed. We bought an air mattress and we sleep on that in here when its too hot to sleep in our bedroom. I also like to eat lots of popsicles/freezies and turning the oven on as little as possible.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the Fans on right now but will need the A/C later. We already had 108 in May. It will be over 100 the next three days. We are trying not to put the A/C on as much because the bill will be high. Ours lows will in in the 60's again. We drink cold drinks with Salads alot. We stay inside.