Resume Help

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I need some help with writing my boyfriend's resume. I'm trying to help him write it, because we both know he needs to find a new job. He's at a position at a major electronics retailer, but it pays him next to nothing. We both know that he needs to find a new job that will pay him a lot better for his skills. Right now, he's in a managerial-type position. He's not a manager or a supervisor, but he has those responsibilities. He closes the store, financially, and resolves any customer service issues that people have.

Anyways, I'm having a problem writing his resume. He went to college for 2 years, but basically flunked out. He's going back to school this fall, but not transferring any credits because I don't think any would transfer over. The only thing I have for his resume is the objective and his work experience. He's only had this one job, but different positions within the company in different states. I've included all those positions, but it still looks bland; just objective and experience.

Does anyone know of anything else I can do to spruce it up a bit? And maybe make it look more, professional looking?

Any help would be great.
I've looked through so many internet sites, and some career magazines I have, but basically can't find anything.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As someone who has reviewed many, many resumes, for jobs that require college degrees and for jobs that do not, I would offer this advice.

Keep it to one page. Widen your margins if you are having trouble making it look like a full page. User a larger font.

Elaborate on all those responsibilities he currently has.

Do that for each position he has held in his different positions with that same company. Tab over after each job title; it will take up more space. As an example:

Floor Manager Responsible for scheduling all sales representatives. Oversee
all sales over $1,000. Plan and place weekly ads for
merchandise.

Does that make sense?

When I am reading a resume, I want to see 1) what the person is doing now and how much responsibility and experience does he have NOW. I may look at 5 year ago, but I really want to see what he is capable of at this time. I don't care what he did when he was young and inexperience.

I hope this helps somewhat.

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Darn it, my spacing didn't remain the same once this was posted. I want the title of Floor Manager to be flush left and then tab over a couple times to specifiy his duties.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yam102284

He's going back to school this fall, but not transferring any credits because I don't think any would transfer over.
Just a suggestion, don't assume they won't. Ask if they can transfer over. Why take basic classes over, if he passed any of them, and have to pay that much more?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That really really helps. Thank you.
I have no problem making it one page; he's held multiple positions throughout the company. I'm definitely going to try to elaborate more on what he does now, since he's in a managerial type position and in charge of the money and deposit at the end of the night. I just thought it looked a little weird when I was typing it up; just having objective and experience. But I guess that's what happens when that's all you have to put on it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just a suggestion, don't assume they won't. Ask if they can transfer over. Why take basic classes over, if he passed any of them, and have to pay that much more?
Well, the thing it, I don't want them to look at his transcript, which was horrible, and deny him on admission because of it. He mostly had Ds and Fs. It was really bad. It might be good for him to take those things over as well, especially if he didn't really try to begin with.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When you write up his responsibilities, use quantifiable facts. Don't just say he managed a staff of 3. He successfully managed a staff of 3 while exceeding his personal sales goals by 45%. Or Lead sales force of 3 to record sales, increasing annual sales $10,525.00

mz kitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

When you write up his responsibilities, use quantifiable facts. Don't just say he managed a staff of 3. He successfully managed a staff of 3 while exceeding his personal sales goals by 45%. Or Lead sales force of 3 to record sales, increasing annual sales $10,525.00
Excellent advice!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I wrote resumes for college and then for grad school, I just had 1 correction for spelling something wrong (before spell checkers). The other students had big red marks for corrections.

I write resumes for my friends as a hobby. I find ways to make jobs sound important by wording their descriptions differently without ever lying about what the person did.

If you want to PM me to review it, I would be happy to send you my email. I actually really do enjoy doing it. I am going on vacation for a week on Sat. so it might take awhile to get back to you.

Oh yes. Keep it to one page if the work experience is limited. Start with your university if you have just graduated or with an anticipated graduation date. Don't worry about transcripts. I never was asked for one.