Advice another kitten?

ddcarlson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello to everyone out there in Cat love land. My male Kitten parker is 8 months old and is as well behaved as they come. The problem is I have recently started taking more classes and on some days I am gone for 13 hours a day. I'm afraid he is lonely... he plays with me and sleeps a lot but I know sometimes he is whinny and wants to play when I can't. Recently when he is playful he bites me and I feel this is because he is upset because he has tons of energy and no one to frolic with. Some of my misgivings are that if I get another cat that It could make parker act aggressively or pick up on bad behavior. I am also afraid that since I had such luck with Parker that I will get a cat that is completely out of control. Please any advice is helpful and if you do think Parker needs a friend it would be helpful to have an idea of sex and age thanks.

kittysback

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am going through this now, so I look forward to the responses. My female is 10 months, and had a sister who died a few months ago. I sometimes think she needs a playmate, but sometimes I am afraid that I'll bring home a cat who wouldn't get along with her. It's so hard to know.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
both of your cats would probably benefit from a playmate. plus, both are young enough to easily accept a newcomer. i'd suggest looking for a young [10months-2years] cat of the opposite sex that gets along well with other cats. most rescues/shelters should be able to tell you if the cats available get along w/others. then, follow these directions for a smooth intro!
i'd like you to meet - introducing cats

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittysback

I am going through this now, so I look forward to the responses. My female is 10 months, and had a sister who died a few months ago. I sometimes think she needs a playmate, but sometimes I am afraid that I'll bring home a cat who wouldn't get along with her. It's so hard to know.
I am taking my Billy this weekend back to the vet where I got him from to pick out a playmate. It'll be 3 other boys and him on a little play date so that I can observe and see who gets along the best, matches his activity level, etc. Now he is still just a baby so meeting new cats isn't a big deal at all. If you guys follow the instructions at the link that laureen gave there should be no problem! It just takes time and patience!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Play dates" do not work with cats. They may work with dogs as they are pack animals. But to expect a cat to be friendly the second it meets another is not happening. You cannot gauge your cat's reaction to a playmate in 5 or 10 mins. It takes weeks.

If you want to pick out a companion, look for one about the same energy level or one that is a little more laid back and not dominate. You'll have better luck introducing them slowly.

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes, def. not with cats! Sorry if I wasn't clear there - either one or two of these baby kits were his sibs.
"You're back?! Back to romping!"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toones

Yes, def. not with cats! Sorry if I wasn't clear there - either one or two of these baby kits were his sibs.
"You're back?! Back to romping!"
probably won't make a difference - they/he will still 'smell wrong'!

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

probably won't make a difference - they/he will still 'smell wrong'!
Even when they're all just 8 weeks?
Depending on how they react we could let him go to get his test done while we see the kitties. Don't want to stir up any trouble.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Depending on how they react we could let him go to get his test done while we see the kitties. Don't want to stir up any trouble.
They're right that it probably won't work. If I take one of my cats (who've lived together for over 6 years) to the vet and bring them back the same day the other cats hiss at them. It's all about scent.

Pick the kitty you're happiest with. At that age they'll probably do just fine no matter what.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

well, probably won't be as bad if they're that young...

kittybernard

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Are they all 8 weeks or 8 months? When was the last time the siblings were together?
He's been home about a week and they will all be 9 weeks on Friday. I am not worried about it. We will just play it by ear!