My cat Vs. Girlfriend

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My girlfriend has NEVER liked my cat, at all. Simply because she doesnt like cats or dogs...No big deal IMO.. I've had my cat for 5 years (the day she was born) an I've been with Jen for 2 years this July. I've noticed the more time Jen spends at my apt. the more my cat gets angry. She hisses at my Jen everytime she comes near her or trys to pick her up or pet her. She never hisses at me or scraches me. But she will hiss and growl (sounds weird i know lol) at Jen everytime she comes near her.

How do i get them to get along more? Jen is going to be moving in with me in a couple months an i have a feeling it might get ugly...Getting rid of my cat is out of the question, an i rather not get rid of Jen either

Also, this site is great!!!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It would be best if Jen did not "force" herself on the cat. If Jen is moving in with you, when that happens the cat will become more accustomed to her being around and a truce may evolve. The cat may never love Jen, but it will probably tolerate her. I had a Siamese for many years before I met my husband and although she wasn't fond of anyone but me, she tolerated my hubby. She was never nasty to him but he left her alone and didn't approach her or try to pick her up, etc. Jen may have to just get a cat for herself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Jen may have to just get a cat for herself.
She hates my cat, and cats and dogs in general. Basicly mose pets.

She has tryed to convince me to get rid of my cat, but i refused.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd never get involved with someone that don't like animals. They just ain't "right". How much do you like this girl? I would seriously consider moving on.....but thats just me...

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If she hates the cat, the cat knows it. Dad hates one of my cats, & after 3 years Ophelia still attacks him every time he gets near.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
how could someone hate cats or dogs? thats confusing to me but alas a cat is just like a human you just can't like everyone and I would like Yosemite said when Jen moves in tell her not to pick up the cat or pay attention to it until it has gotten use to her.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ranger7489

I know she hates cats, I was being facetious.

I sincerely hope you don't give up your cat for her but if push comes to shove and it's a deal breaker one way or the other, you will have to make a heart-wrenching decision. I won't bother telling you what decision I would make or the others on this site.

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love her, We have known eachother for sense we were in middle school (we are both in our mid 20's now)

Can cats really sense if someone doesnt like them?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I love her, We have known eachother for sense we were in middle school (we are both in our mid 20's now)

Can cats really sense if someone doesnt like them?
They certainly can. So do dogs. Maybe after she moves in and sees how delightful those fur babies can be, she'll become a convert. My hubby wasn't a big fan of cats, but he's devoted to Bijou and Bijou adores him. They are wonderful to watch together.

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

They certainly can. So do dogs. Maybe after she moves in and sees how delightful those fur babies can be, she'll become a convert. My hubby wasn't a big fan of cats, but he's devoted to Bijou and Bijou adores him. They are wonderful to watch together.
I hope so...It would be a tuff choice on which to choose if it came down to one or the other...What about sleeping arrangements? My cat sleeps right above my pillow on my headboard EVERY night, what about when Jen moves in?

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Bijou only ever really sleeps with me. Sometimes if I get too hot he'll curl up around our feet but it's my pillow he will lay on. Your kitty will probably still want to sleep with you so that's something that you will have to work out with Jen. As long as the cat isn't encroaching on her side of the bed, hopefully it will work out OK unless she gets demanding and insists kitty not sleep with the two of you which I would think unfair to kitty.

ranger7489

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Bijou only ever really sleeps with me. Sometimes if I get too hot he'll curl up around our feet but it's my pillow he will lay on. Your kitty will probably still want to sleep with you so that's something that you will have to work out with Jen. As long as the cat isn't encroaching on her side of the bed, hopefully it will work out OK unless she gets demanding and insists kitty not sleep with the two of you which I would think unfair to kitty.
We'll my cat sleeps in the shelves of my headboard, usually never ON the bed.

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
IMO: Pets > girlfriends

Pets don't care about how much money you make or what kind of car you drive... they like you no matter what. Totally unconditional. I don't think a girl that really loves you would try to make you get rid of your pet.

95% of the women out there like animals anyway....if I was you I'd play the field some more....

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope everything turns out well between the three of you good luck

zane's pal

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Dump her.

Seriously, her dislike of animals is a major red flag. People who don't like animals are generally not nice people. If nothing else, your values and hers do not match, which does not make for a good long term relationship.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

I'd never get involved with someone that don't like animals. They just ain't "right". How much do you like this girl? I would seriously consider moving on.....but thats just me...
have you asked her why she doesn't care for animals? do they frighten her, bad past experience - or is she just unfamiliar w/them?
to help your kitty grow more tolerant, you can have Jen give you a sweaty t-shirt of hers [one she DOESN'T want back!] & place it under your cat's food dishes. that way, your cat will start to associate her scent w/good stuff.
but yes - they can definitely sense when someone dislikes them. they're pretty intelligent animals!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Take this from experience. The cat's reactions are usually the better indicator of the type of person they really are. My ex only tolerated my cats - never really liked them and as the years went by it showed.

If your gf doesn't like cats by now, she never will and if you stay with her, she will eventually get rid of your cat(s) or it will cause problems. Believe me its better that both people are animal lovers.

Some people who have never had pets and don't know about them are a little different then those that express they don't like them period. IMO I'd find a new gf - do NOT let her move in with you.

Fair warning!