color genetics

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always been interested in how color genitics worked in other animals, like dogs and horses. I guess cats are just as interesting. Like Siamese, how many different color and point variations are there and how do the genetics involved work?
I don't plan on breeding cats or anything, but the science interests me. Anyone care to give me a lesson? (It can be any kind of cat).

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, that's quite a large piece to cover in one thread.
Feline color genetics are basically quite simple, but it's a large area to cover so mayve you should start out by checking sites like this.

It's impossible to cover all the color variations in one thread because there's such a huge variation in colors and patterns in the cat.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The "pointed" gene is a recessive one. Both parents either have to show it or carry it. If only one has the pointed gene, you will not get pointed kittens.

I'll try and list the different point colors and patterns. If I miss any of them, I'm sure someone will add

Basics: (solid color points) - seal (black/dark brown), blue (greyish), chocolate (warm brown), lilac (pale pinkish/blue), red (orangish), cream (pale orange).

(lynx - tabby) - all the above but with tabby stripes

(multicolor) (these are sex-linked colors, found in females) - seal tortie (seal and red mixed), blue-cream tortie (blue and cream mixed), chocolate tortie (chocolate and red), lilac-cream.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
thank you both. The link will be interesting to read (I would read it now but I am going to bed- I added it to my favorites) and I already learned something I did not know, that in pointed cats both parents have to be pointed.

jillie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know a bit about gerbil genetics, but am in the same boat as you as when it comes to cats though. I do know in Siamese that a Seal Point is a Color Point Black, a Blue Point is a Dilute Color Point Black, a Chocolate Point is a Color Point Brown and a Lilac Point is a Dilute Color Point Brown. ;-)

sol

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

thank you both. The link will be interesting to read (I would read it now but I am going to bed- I added it to my favorites) and I already learned something I did not know, that in pointed cats both parents have to be pointed.
They don't have to be pointed, but both have to carry the gene for colorpoint.