Rat-Sitting....

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So, I found out a couple weeks ago that another Volunteer at the Shelter has Rats too... and she asked me to Rat-Sit for her for a week this coming weekend... of course I said yes
I guess she has 2 lil Hooded boys but she doesnt know much about Rats so we'll have to see. She also said that if I wanted to keep them I could! Im just not sure if I can... thats up to my mom. I guess if I dont keep them than when she gets back shes either gonna return them to the Pet Store or she's gonna release them in the woods
Im gonna try and talk my mom into letting me keep them.
Right now she has the 2 (approx. 7 month olds) in a 10 gallon aquarium! and she wonders why there fighting so much
When they get here im gonna put them in my spare Rat Cage... she was also putting them in a Ball to run around!
Anyway ill post Pics when they get here Fri.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think you should be turning loose domestic rats in the general population outside. IMO they are sitting ducks for predators.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

I don't think she should be turning loose domestic rats in the general population outside. IMO they are sitting ducks for predators.
at least, if you can't keep them, try to get her to take them back to the pet store.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both Options (Pet Store or Woods) are horrible as there food for predators either way.... I hope I can talk my mom into letting me keep them.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

Both Options (Pet Store or Woods) are horrible as there food for predators either way.... I hope I can talk my mom into letting me keep them.
the pet store wouldn't just re-sell them?

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

the pet store wouldn't just re-sell them?
Adult males rats do not sell well... they aren't 'cute' anymore (though I think they're adorable!) On the up side they're often too big for most snakes at that point...

What about the humane society if you cannot take them? Good on you for trying to work that out though! Someone who knows about rats is always best to take them in...

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The pet store was feeding them as feeders and will still... we dont have humane society's around here.. just a pound for cats and dogs only.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Forensic

Aw, man, I know you're probably joking but I almost wanted to shake you for a second there...
Lol nope it was a joke, but i know Vixen (i think it was Vixen) used to breed rats or was it an accident lol im crap wiith memory!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

Lol nope it was a joke, but i know Vixen (i think it was Vixen) used to breed rats or was it an accident lol im crap wiith memory!
Weeeeeeell... itty bitty babies would be nice
... but I cant right now.. that may be an option later though.
No I have never had itty bitty Ratties before.. I only wish! lol although I did breed Hammies a while back.

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Weeeeeeell... itty bitty babies would be nice
... but I cant right now.. that may be an option later though.
No I have never had itty bitty Ratties before.. I only wish! lol although I did breed Hammies a while back.
hehe, we just got a hamster, well its my SO's, he wants too breed them, so i may need your help with that venture

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pixietina

hehe, we just got a hamster, well its my SO's, he wants too breed them, so i may need your help with that venture

Haha! nice... is this a girl or boy hammy?
Breeding can be difficult so if my help is needed... I am here!

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Haha! nice... is this a girl or boy hammy?
Breeding can be difficult so if my help is needed... I am here!
shes a female and i HATE her but if he loves her thats what matters

x-vegancandy-x

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Awws I had ratties before ^_^ & you are right...adult males are normally "too big" for some snakes...though whoever feeds live rats to their snakes deserves a slap upside the head... >.< & whoever buys rodents from pet stores to feed...double slap
very cruel most pet stores are.& They have no common sense [housed on pine& cedar? ugh...way to go RI infections -__-' ]

Rats make great pets,can be littertrained& not a "smelly" pet either...although male rats have to be bathed
as they produce buck grease! But all in all,I hope you can keep them!! When I get my own place i'll be buying a Ferret Nation & get back into having pet ratties!!!

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe.. I bathe my Ratties in the Tub once a month with Johnson's & Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Ive only lost one Rat and that was 3 yrs ago, my second Rat and it was cause idk not to have him on Pine Bedding
now I ONLY use either Care Fresh or Critter Care.
My Alyssa is in a Deluxe My First Home Ferret Cage (only I got mine off F&S) but If I keep Salt and Pepper im gonna put them and Temps in the Deluxe and put Alyssa in Temps Cage.
But I do have to agree with the smelly part... I love the smell of Boy Rats cause they smell like Grape Soda!!!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

lol although I did breed Hammies a while back.
Me too! I used to breed Syrian hamsters a long time ago... At some points I had 20+ of them at one time. That's a lot of cages...

Now I just have two cages in my bedroom, one for the 3 rats and one for the sugar gliders. They are actually both the same type of cage, a Martin's Rat Tower... I didn't think male rats smelled like grape soda. The females smell like grape soda. I've never had a male but someone told me they smell like tortillas or corn chips...

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hehe.. the most Hammies I had at once were about 12-13... I regulated my breedings... and I breed Syrian/Teddie mixes.
Umm my Alyssa doesnt really have a smell... but I love the smell of male rats! idk why.. its kinda weird

So the Ratties are mine!! lol I talked to my mom about it today and she said yes! im changing there names to Pinky and The Brain

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Hehe.. the most Hammies I had at once were about 12-13... I regulated my breedings... and I breed Syrian/Teddie mixes.
Umm my Alyssa doesnt really have a smell... but I love the smell of male rats! idk why.. its kinda weird

So the Ratties are mine!! lol I talked to my mom about it today and she said yes! im changing there names to Pinky and The Brain

Awww yay go you!
ewwww rat smell, i hate the smell of my mice....
honest although newborn pinkies smell so cute and oooh i need too re breed me girls later