mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
either is fine... both IMHO are a bit grainy/ starchy... ... but are good foods ...

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the regular Nutro Natural kitten?
I know that my cats at ideal weights got too skinny on the indoor formula, so I switched them back to the regular Complete Care and solved the problem.

I suspect that the Indoor food formulas are geared more towards less active or chubby cats?

Sharky would know more about that, this was just my experience.

Worth a shot though if you are still shopping for foods that they will do well on.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is surprising but hopeful... I didn't try the indoor because I thought it would make my cat fatter! I will have to try, thanks for sharing.

BTW I do feed Blue Spa and my guys like it and I haven't had any issues with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I forgot that I had tried max cat before.

I went with my husband to runnings tonight (a farm store) because he needed new work boots and while he was looking at boots I looked at what pet food they offered. They had nutro, iams, science diet, and diamond naturals. I was surprised at how affordable the diamond was, so I bought a bag of kitten, and after I run out of what they have now I will start them on that (of course with a gradual change).
I was also surprised that on one of the bags of science diet I picked up to read the ingredients on, corn was the first ingredient and meat was not until the third. I think it was the natural kitten variety. What??
And I think I remember reading that iams is okay but for the money you could get better.
And nutro did not work for us before, I think it was too rich.

So we will give the diamond a try. I actually think it was comparable in price to purina kitten chow for others who are looking for a better but affordable cat food.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, neither IAMS nor SD are worth what they charge, ingredient-wise. hopefully the Diamond will work for you!

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My adult cat is currently eating Diamond and Nurto mixed, she seems to like the Diamond better.
My dog also eats Diamond (I only have a feed store to buy from).
Greats foods for the price.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
diamond is a solid food ... IMHO similiar to nutro max but it may be less rich

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was told that sciencediet was one of the best? i'm confused since thats what we feed our cats wet and dry

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

I was told that sciencediet was one of the best? i'm confused since thats what we feed our cats wet and dry
SD contains LOTS of corn( not a bad grain just harder to digest ie more poop) , BY products of chicken ( heads ft intestines) and many have chemical preservatives

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As Sharky expertly said, Science Diet is NOT good... I can't believe they're still allowed to sell that stuff. Even the prescription stuff.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

As Sharky expertly said, Science Diet is NOT good... I can't believe they're still allowed to sell that stuff. Even the prescription stuff.
What I know about food I know from this forum, but my opinion of Science Diet is very low. They sure do a great job marketing it, sticking it in vet offices. I know many people who feed this to their pets believing it to be the "very best" that is out there. They are so proud that they feed their pets the best food.
I wish vets would stop selling it, but then they would lose $$$....

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I know many people who feed this to their pets believing it to be the "very best" that is out there. They are so proud that they feed their pets the best food.
I wish vets would stop selling it, but then they would lose $$$....
when i took Firefox to the vet for her first visit, i was given a bag of SD kitten food.
i fed it to the ferals, tho. mine are eating better kibble than the SD stuff.
i really didn't like feeding the SD stuff for crystals to them when Chip had it - but i did. but once he was recovered, i added stuff to his wet to prevent reoccurence, because i felt that i could do better on my own.
he's been fine ever since, too.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so what should I feed them since I have noticed that they poop a lot for two cats (My bf tells me all the time that they poop like 10 cats instead of 2) so what would be a better brand to give?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

so what should I feed them since I have noticed that they poop a lot for two cats (My bf tells me all the time that they poop like 10 cats instead of 2) so what would be a better brand to give?
as a rule, i think the lower the grain content is, the less poop you'll see.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Digestability = less poop.. avoid Too many grains ... things like chicken by products are hard to digest ...

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so what brand should I start feeding them? what's the best?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

so what brand should I start feeding them? what's the best?
that's really a personal decision. i know there are brands i can't feed, because they give Cable the runs. there are others that Pixel refuses to eat - & since she's a 'kibble only' kitty, i must feed something she'll eat.
so, read labels, email companies for samples [much the cheapest way to try new foods, btw!] & eventually you'll find 'the one' for you [which may change as your kitties age, etc.]
currently, i'm feeding Royal Canin special 33 as kibble, & authority lamb & rice for wet [plus about a teaspoon of homemade].