Pepe and his sneezing

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the poor little guy is sneezing like crazy and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on why?

It's the only symptom he has! he's been eating,playing with his brother and acting as he usually does except for the constant sneezing so i'm pondering if it's allergies?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
doesn't anybody else's cat have allergies??

lele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could be an upper respiratory infection (URI). This can be pretty hard even deadly for a kitten if you let it go to far. It is also very contagious and will spread thru cats within a week or so and last up to three weeks or a month. You can put them in the bathroom with the shower steaming which helps. I would take a younger kitten to the vet especially if there is any discharge with the sneezing. I personally wouldn't think that allergies would cause extensive sneezing though. Probably something else starting. Hopefull not though. Good Luck!

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah.... how much sneezing? Sometimes my cat will sneeze like 20 times in a row, sometimes more... just from dust, pollen, whatever. Like the other poster said, any discharge from the nose/eyes? If he is not better in 3 days or so I would go to the vet. Sometimes with URI's if you get real close you can hear kitty wheezing if he is stuffed up. If it is a URI, he will need an antibiotic.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i'll be taking him to the vet then because i'm not sure what it is either like he's sneezing but there isnt discharge in the nose area or the eyes and the sneezing is once and a while but he sneezes 3 times in a short time now I was just talking to the person who works at the adoption place where we got him and she said not to give him any meds or anything unless I see green or yellow discharge so..

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Green/yellow discharge generally means there is infection. Although, my vet has prescribed antibitoics when my cat had a URI and his discharge was clear, but he was definitely very clogged up with a URI.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
the weird thing about it is that he doesn't sound congested just..sneezing like they normally would just..more often
im confused

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

the weird thing about it is that he doesn't sound congested just..sneezing like they normally would just..more often
im confused
URI's usually start with sneezing before there's congestion. The virus irritates the nasal passages before the body mounts an attack against it, which is what causes the congestion--same as in humans when we get colds! Same with a fever, the body is trying to kill the virus by turning up the heat (bodies are pretty amazing things
)

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so should I leave him for a few days before I take him and see how things are like the lady suggested? I don't get paid until friday so there isnt much chance of going to the vet before then but if it was serious i could..possibly ask some people to lend me some money?

oh and he doesn't seem to sneeze so much when he is infront of a fan ( I don't have A/C)

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my
- as long as you don't hear wheezing, or he's breathing ok, eating/drinking ok, & there's no discharge - you're probably ok waiting. if any of those things become a problem, then it's definitely time for the vet!

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
thanks very much he seems to be alright besides the sneezing so I think we'll take him on friday when I get paid

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
his eye is now running as well
that means a URI right?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mer636

his eye is now running as well
that means a URI right?
sure sounds that way... i guess you'll have to take him to the dreaded v-e-t...

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
so i'm gonna take him tomorrow the poor little guy

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that sneezes the biggest boogers I have ever seen! He has chronic sinus problems that he sees the vet for. He usually gets a round of antibiotics a couple times a year. I give L-lysine for his condition and it has really helped him a great deal. We don't have to visit the vet as much as we used to. It's a good idea to take them to the vet when they are sneezing and can't breathe.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
eek the only appointment I could get was monday but i'm getting some lysen for him which is supose to help pump up his immune system

he can breath alright it just seems when he sneezes his sinus cavety is congested and his one eye is leaking clear gel

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thats a long time to wait. Thats how I got that bad Vet. When we had lived here only 6 Months Coco got a terrible Uri with her Asthma out of control. We called like 5 Vets and the earliest they could see her was the next night at 7. Then I found one that said come now. Big Mistake it was the worst Vet in the area. They said her Asthma was lung cancer. They have been shut down now and we only went there once. I got a 2nd opinion at the Vet we use now. Her Uri was very bad it took the pigment off her nose. You can try some Vicks put do not put it on the nose. I make my Cats smell it. Coco gets in the same day we call everytime. Is there any green or yellow in the nose?

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
nope everything that's leaking is clear so thats a good sign and I did make him smell the vicks and the weirdo cat he is he loves it! lol

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you do not see green or yellow you can wait. Coco runs when she sees the Vicks. She has had two Uri's this year. Maybe it could be Allergies insted of a Uri.