Food location.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes when I feed Popsie I'll just set his food bowl down on the kitchen floor because he's already in there and I don't feel like walking all the way upstairs.(I usually keep his food bowl up in the bedroom) He never used to care where I set his food but now he's starting to get picky. I just gave him some dinner and he would not eat it until I put it upstairs in the bedroom. What would make him go from not caring where his food is to wanting it in a specific location?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

I just gave him some dinner and he would not eat it until I put it upstairs in the bedroom
He's training you
How long did you leave it down for?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

He's training you
How long did you leave it down for?
I'll set it down and when he snubs his nose at it I'll move it.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't move it that soon, unless his problem is that the bedroom is quiet and the kitchen isn't. If there's no real reason I'd set it out for 30 minutes or so.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats seem to like a quiet place to eat. Ours eat downstairs on one of the counters. The dog is not allowed in that part of the basement and the cats have a quiet place to eat.

They get treats in the kitchen. I like to train them to eat in a specific spot and then they will usually not bother each other when eating - they go to their own bowl.

When we get Jack, he'll have his own spot in the basement too (probably on the other table).