i am so angry!!!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

2 week ago, i got some body work done on my car. then i took it for an oil change, & they messed it up
so i drove right back to the repair shop, & made an appointment to have it fixed - no cost - plus have the driver's door lock repaired, as well [which i would be paying for]. guy said it would take a day.
so this morning, i bring the car in @750am, & my dad came, picked me up, & i spend the day at my parents' house.
at 330pm, having heard nothing from the repair shop, i called.
"oh, 1 guy called in sick, so we're behind, but we're just about to start on it... i'll call in a couple of hours."
@545pm, i called again - he says, "i haven't forgotten - i'll call you in 10 minutes."
@ 610pm, my father & i drove to the repair shop [they supposedly close @ 6pm]. car hadn't been moved from where i'd parked it this morning.
i told him that i was taking the car elsewhere. he apologized, & i informed him that a responsible person would've called to let me know what was going on. not to mention, it had been 40 minutes since the "i'll call in 10 minutes" answer.
i was so angry that i broke his door leaving, btw.
he told my dad [who was still there] that he was going to sue me for breaking his door.
i welcome the chance to see him in court!
i doubt he'll do it, tho.
my father works for a dealer here in town - he told the guy he would NEVER recommend him for any service to anyone ever again.
i'm also planning to write to the editor of the paper, as well as post a review online of his 'business'!
what is it about repair places that makes them think they can treat you unfairly just because you're a woman?

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Just another reason to change your own oil. You save time, money, aggravation and get the feeling of satisfaction of doing it yourself. I have four vehicles.....and no mechanic touches any of them if I can help it.

Just curious, how did they mess up your oil change?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SportBikeMike

Just curious, how did they mess up your oil change?
they didn't - they messed up the body work on the new fender - chipped the paint & bent the fender. can't figure out HOW they managed to do that!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No excuse for the shoddy repairs, but if someone called in sick, then most likely the others were "swamped". I know that I am often in that predicament, so I ask our clients to call in - it is easier to receive a call than it is to make one.
Now, if you have someone else do the work, then do you have to pay for it

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
There is definitely a lot of shady work going on in car repair shops. Fortunately, I found honesty in one, where a lot of my friends recommended me to. I went to one car shop a few months ago where Meineke quoted me at $435, saying I needed this and that in addition to blah blah...

I went to another car shop (the one I will ALWAYS go to from now on) and it cost me $28. I didn't need what the other car shop said I needed. In addition to that, he told me that a lot of car places will try to talk you into spending more money, saying so-and-so needs fixing when it really doesn't, because the general public doesn't know about cars, so basically, they are free to try to take advantage of everyone. I really found a liking to that repairman and will recommend anyone and everyone to him whenever they need any car work done.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement. I don't object to your wanting to do the reviews of the place at all... as I would do the same if I had a really bad experience (and a really good experience as well).

Good luck with your car and hope the problems resolve soon.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsknowme

No excuse for the shoddy repairs, but if someone called in sick, then most likely the others were "swamped". I know that I am often in that predicament, so I ask our clients to call in - it is easier to receive a call than it is to make one.
Now, if you have someone else do the work, then do you have to pay for it
i probably won't bother w/the fender - the damage really isn't that noticeable [at least, not to me!].
if he'd called this morning & explained, i could've picked up the car & set a different day for the repairs. he's just not interested in my future/continuing business, i guess!

sportbikemike

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

they didn't - they messed up the body work on the new fender - chipped the paint & bent the fender. can't figure out HOW they managed to do that!
Oops....sorry. I thought you meant the oil change. I did get an oil change screwed up a few years ago ( they didn't put on the crush washer, causing a leak). I've changed it myself since then.

Hope you get your situation resolved.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For some reason people can't be straight with their customers sometimes. I get the run around sometimes when an honest answer would have been best.

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CC12

For some reason people can't be straight with their customers sometimes. I get the run around sometimes when an honest answer would have been best.
It would be so much easier, if they could just be honest upfront, I think most people would understand, and book another appointment.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

It would be so much easier, if they could just be honest upfront, I think most people would understand, and book another appointment.
well, speaking for myself, i certainly would have. if he'd just called 1st thing & told me, i'd've been unhappy, but not angry.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really hope you get this resolved soon

BTW how did you break the door?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I really hope you get this resolved soon

BTW how did you break the door?
swung it open REALLY hard! i'm quite strong [for a woman, anyway]. he's the one that said it's broken. not that i'd necessarily believe anything he says, now.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naia

There is definitely a lot of shady work going on in car repair shops. Fortunately, I found honesty in one, where a lot of my friends recommended me to. I went to one car shop a few months ago where Meineke quoted me at $435, saying I needed this and that in addition to blah blah...

I went to another car shop (the one I will ALWAYS go to from now on) and it cost me $28. I didn't need what the other car shop said I needed. In addition to that, he told me that a lot of car places will try to talk you into spending more money, saying so-and-so needs fixing when it really doesn't, because the general public doesn't know about cars, so basically, they are free to try to take advantage of everyone. I really found a liking to that repairman and will recommend anyone and everyone to him whenever they need any car work done.

Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement. I don't object to your wanting to do the reviews of the place at all... as I would do the same if I had a really bad experience (and a really good experience as well).

Good luck with your car and hope the problems resolve soon.
I know that feeling. With my fiances last car, he was told he needed an entire new part (exhaust I think, I know nothing about cars) and it was going to cost $1500. Canadian Tire told us they couldn't even get some of the parts that were needed. We couldn't afford it so we found a place that makes all their own parts. When we went there, they told us that we didn't need most of what the other car places told us we need. It ended up costing us like $200 and that was mostly just for the time they needed to put it in.