Rediculously Hot!

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Summer is definetly on its way, and without AC, its no fun! What are your favorite ways to stay cool in the summer?

I have a beach down the street that i like to sit by, and if im brave enough, swim in the lake. But i was there too long and got burned yesterday, so sleeping last night... with no AC, and my burns radiating heat... was miserable!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday was sooo humid and hot here! We put in the air conditioners so today they were turned on nice and early. Eating smoothies or slushies is always a fun way to cool off a little bit, that and standing in front of an open freezer

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hon, you have my sympathy! For a bad sunburn I usually use cocoa butter, and a TON of it. It gets messy, but it doesn't stain fabrics and it does take the burn out pretty fast. Warning though...you will start craving chocolate!

I lived in the tropics for a while an lost power for a month due to a typhoon (no AC, no ice, no anything). The best thing I found was to soak in a cool tub before going to bed. I don't mean for 5 or 10 minutes. I actually didn't have a bathtub, so I got a huge rubbermaid container and filled that in the shower. No, I didn't completely fit, and my legs and arms were hanging over the sides (yeah, it was a REAL attractive site!
) but as long as my torso was in the water it would lower my body temperture until I was almost shivering. And, this was in 90 degree heat. After that I would actually need at least a sheet to keep my warm, and I slept like a baby.

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put towels in the freezer and let them get to a cool temp you can handle, than wrap around your shoulders and torso. It helps cool you down. As far as your sunburn, aloe vera works as well as anything else. Slather it on! Also a cold bath works nicely to draw the heat off your burns (if you can handle the cold)

I use this weather as an excuse to do nothing!
I am fortunate to live on the beach and am getting a cool breeze, so with the fans catching that coolness it is tolerable....as long as you stay in front of the fans!

Stay hydrated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ugh! that sounds wonderful! I may need to go take a cold shower soon. I dont know what the weathers been in other parts of the country/world... but new englands looking hot hot hot for the next week! Tommorow is supposed to be almost 100 in my area

i may go ask my BF if we can go to the mall just to get into some air conditioning!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain. I don't know where in New England you are, but here in New Hampshire, it's HOT. I have had the A/C on since Saturday morning and probably will not shut it off until Tuesday night. I usually just relax inside with the A/C cranked to keep myself cool. I can't do too much outside, cause I can't breathe real well in hot weather.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, for the sunburn, aloe is the best.

Just to keep cool, put ice in bags behind your neck and in the creases in your elbows and behind the knees.

Do you have ceiling fans? They work great.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It has been disgustingly hot in SC the last two weeks. It was 100* out yesterday and I was out riding 7.5 miles on a bike! The heat caught up quick to me.

I like to go to the beach when it's hot out, jump in the ocean with Rob for awhile. We bought a boat 3-4 weeks ago, so hopefully soon we will have that thing out on the water

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have A/C either. But our house is a quad level and when it gets hot I sleep on the air mattress in the family room (the coolest) with a box fan blowing on me.

We stay outside as long as we can and cook outside as not to heat up the house.
We installed a ceiling fan light fixture in our bedroom but the big window faces west so it still gets warm. Keep your blinds/curtains shut if its sunny to reduce the heat.

Take as cool a shower as possible before sleeping at night.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh wow!! I thought I was the only one over heating! er.. trying not too! lol
The past couple days have been so hot that ive just been wearing Shorts and a Bakini Top! we didnt have AC up until 2 days ago and even now it only helps a lil.
I live in a 2 Story house and our ACs are only Room AC... meaning it doesnt cool the whole house. We got a lil Kiddie Pool for the dogs outside... I think we use it more than them!
We have big rotating fans in 2 rooms but that doent always help either... and we dont live by anyplace that we can swim at
we need to get a pool

Right now ive got a rotating Fan in my room and an AC right outside my room and its still 84.5'F (29'C) in my room!
I dont and have never gotten a sunburn... I lived in FL for 10yrs and ive been outside in the sun the past couple days and I havnt even gotten a Tan... so I feel so sorry for you who do have Sun Burn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

save_adopt

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great suggestions everyone! Thank you, i too am in New hampshire... It doesnt sound like its cooling down anytime too soon. My boyfriend found an old AC and cleaned it out... its not cold in here, but its taking the edge off... maybe ill sleep tonight!

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by save_adopt

Great suggestions everyone! Thank you, i too am in New hampshire... It doesnt sound like its cooling down anytime too soon. My boyfriend found an old AC and cleaned it out... its not cold in here, but its taking the edge off... maybe ill sleep tonight!
Cool! Another New Hampshire member! I heard after tomorrow night, it's supposed to cool down a little. There's a cool front moving in, and its supposed to get down 61 degrees tomorrow night, and 52 Wednesday night. The high for Wednesday supposed to be around 86. At least for my area anyways (Concord/Manchester) Tomorrow's gonna be the worst; high of 97 with heat indexes around 102. Ugh.

church11

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
well i keep the fan in my window in my bedroom and if im home doring the day ill sit on the couch with the other fan blowing on me, at night if it gets to 60 my room feels like ac is on so atleast im lucky there. the only thing is church lays on me alot and he makes me sweat but i love when he lays on me so i do nothing

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It was really hot today here in Connecticut. Tomorrow will be the same if not worse. I like to stay inside in the AC... and have a frappuccino.

jean-ji

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Naia

It was really hot today here in Connecticut. Tomorrow will be the same if not worse. I like to stay inside in the AC... and have a frappuccino.
A green tea frappuccino gave me a brain freeze yesterday, I haven't had one of those (the brain freeze/ice cream headache) since I was a kid. It really hurt, and it kept doing it every time I had some more. It did cool me down though.

naia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jean-ji

A green tea frappuccino gave me a brain freeze yesterday, I haven't had one of those (the brain freeze/ice cream headache) since I was a kid. It really hurt, and it kept doing it every time I had some more. It did cool me down though.
My favorite is the caffe vanilla frappuccino with a DROP of toffeenut. =)