Sphynx Decisions and Advice

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I have finally made the decision after years of wishing to adopt a sphynx. I live in Canada and am open to either Canadian or American breeders. So I have been doing a TON of research and have started emailing breeders (majority being American).

I guess I have several questions about it all...

1. I am getting discouraged because I emailed 8 different breeders this weekend (telling them a bit about myself and my interest to adopt a sphynx) and only 3 have written me back! Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? My SO suggests I wait a few more days but I am still discouraged. Should I assume that they are not interested in adopting a kitten to me?

2. I have been more so interested in American breeders because I found their information clearly laid out (rules, ethics, pedigrees and even as far as youtube videos!) and also their sphynxes had/has the look I want in my future kitten. But the one thing that sucks is that I cannot visit their cattery and if I ever had a problem it would be difficult. So I feel confused about this... ( does this even sound like a question!?
)

3. I see a lot of breeders sites telling you to watch out for 'this' and 'that' and I feel like I can't trust anyone after reading all their advice in finding the 'right' breeder. So it's giving me a complex on who is the perfect breeder.

4. I have three cats (all lovely cats and all spayed/neutered) BUT my red point male siamese does not like other male cats (he'll spray!! and sometimes my female torti will spray too!?!) so I want a female sphynx but goodness it feels like everyone ONLY has MALE sphynxes. I don't want to be super picky BUT I mean this is a BIG investment and I want it to be perfect (or close).

5. Also, I am torn on color! I love the calico, cream and red sphynxes BUT I also like the black ones too... so I am frustrated on what color I want. I know personality matters more then that alone but goodness how over whelming.

I wish all my anxiety and fears would just magically disappear

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
1. It is not uncommon for breeders to not respond to an email inquiry, especially over the weekend (show time). Don't get too discouraged. All good things happen with time...it took me 6 months of emailing one particular breeder and a judges' reference before she would even reply to me!

2. IMO THE breeders to get a kitten from would be in the states myself - especially a couple of catteries in California. But then, I am biased as I have met some of their cats in person.

3. What is right and wrong in a particular breed is relative. We are after all merely human. I would warn you against irresponsible breeders (there's a whole thread on that!).

4. Females anywhere are much in demand, after all kittens come from queens with a little help from a stud of course ... good females are hard to find.

5. IMO color also is relative. You'll know when you've found the right cat because the cat will tell you.."Pick me!"

Getting the "right" cat is never easy. It takes a whole lot of time and patience. Persevere and all will be well...eventually!

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting one also. They are due in July. I wrote two breeders and one answered me back. I did post teh breeder I am using here and they do know who she is. Getting a black one is very hard. she said she had one person on the waiting list waiting for a black one for two years. I can give you the name of my breeder if you want. it is a small cattery. I am the list for a female. I am number four on the waiting list.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I was looking for Ocicats, I emailed at least 6 breeders and only 2 of them responded (I specified what I wanted). So I'm not surprised. I'm sure they get lots of inquiries for kittens and if they don't have what you are looking for, then they don't email back (sorry but I find that a little rude - doesn't take more then a min to send back "sorry but I don't have any kittens right now - would you like to be on my waiting list for a future kitten?"

The ones that respond back to me are the ones I want to check with more and talk to them on the phone, or further emails.

As far as visiting the cattery, that's ideal but more often not possible. When looking at the cats, I go by their contracts, the look of their cats, how much they show (how many champions/grands), etc. because IMO that shows me they are serious breeders who want to produce the best kittens whether or not you show.

I've emailed Jack's breeder a lot and spoken to her on the phone at least 3-4 times so far (just questions and general updates). I'm looking for a show quality male in a choice of 2 different colors, so I'll wait for her to get me the right one.

If you have a few colors you like and the sex you want, then give the breeders a choice of what you are looking for. When you restrict yourself to only one or two colors, you may have to wait longer to get what you want.

Good luck and be patient - when the right kitten is born, you'll get her

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I email the Breeder we went with all the time. I also got to meet her at a Cat Show. She works with another Sphynx breeder. I got to two of her Cats and a few of his.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jamiekitty

Hello,

I have finally made the decision after years of wishing to adopt a sphynx.
I own a Sphynx. What made you decide on the Sphynx breed?

1. I am getting discouraged because I emailed 8 different breeders this weekend (telling them a bit about myself and my interest to adopt a sphynx) and only 3 have written me back! Is this common? Am I doing something wrong? My SO suggests I wait a few more days but I am still discouraged. Should I assume that they are not interested in adopting a kitten to me?
:
Don't assume anything just yet. Your SO is right. Do assume these people are busy with showing, families, maybe other things, they probably have very full weekends and some work. Breeding great cats is not a money business, it is a hobby they lovingly make time for, don't be discouraged, 3 writing you back in such a short time frame is a good thing! Just be patient. You have to be patient. You can always call them too.

2. I have been more so interested in American breeders because I found their information clearly laid out (rules, ethics, pedigrees and even as far as youtube videos!) and also their sphynxes had/has the look I want in my future kitten. But the one thing that sucks is that I cannot visit their cattery and if I ever had a problem it would be difficult. So I feel confused about this... ( does this even sound like a question!?
)
:
I would like to visit the cattery and have the breeder in my country but if you feel comfortable after talking with them, getting references, and knowing their reputation in the Sphynx community then you can go ahead and get a kitten from them I would think. I highly recommend you go to local shows in your area and meet breeders. Even if they don't have kittens available anytime soon they can be a great resource in getting to know more about the breed and the breeders.

3. I see a lot of breeders sites telling you to watch out for 'this' and 'that' and I feel like I can't trust anyone after reading all their advice in finding the 'right' breeder. So it's giving me a complex on who is the perfect breeder.
Do more research on BYB's and know what to look out for, you are smart to be reading this and smart to be wanting more advice on finding a right breeder. Google backyard breeders and read. Google reputable or responsible cat breeders, read. Read on here too. Every bit you learn will help

4. I have three cats (all lovely cats and all spayed/neutered) BUT my red point male siamese does not like other male cats (he'll spray!! and sometimes my female torti will spray too!?!) so I want a female sphynx but goodness it feels like everyone ONLY has MALE sphynxes. I don't want to be super picky BUT I mean this is a BIG investment and I want it to be perfect (or close).
:
I don't know where you have been looking but there are female kittens available as pets. I got one years ago and many people are looking for females. Be patient and open and honest with your breeder. They will work with you. The kitten will be worth the wait.

5. Also, I am torn on color! I love the calico, cream and red sphynxes BUT I also like the black ones too... so I am frustrated on what color I want. I know personality matters more then that alone but goodness how over whelming.
I would say go with personality over anything else
They are all lovable and great no matter what color and since you are already set on the gender leaving yourself more open to colour will be helpful in getting your new kitty

Hope this helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamiekitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your replies!! I really appreciate it

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am in Canada also and would LOVE a sphynx. I have two devon rex/sphynx crosses. They are pretty bald LOL.

I am sure there are breeders in the east/central parts like Quebec. Look on kijiji.ca and look under cats and kittens for sale. I did find that it might be easier to locate a breeder up here rather than having to try to get the kitten flown to you up here.

I'd love to know if you get one from Canada, as I would love to have one

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I'd trust a breeder that advertises through online classified services (kijiji, craigslist, ect)