It's Garage!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a commercial on TV that absolutely drives me wacko!

The woman's voice is so high pitched and nasal, and she can't say the word "garage". She says "garodge". Arggggg!!!!

Every time I see that commercial I want to yell "It's garage you idiot!"

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

There is a commercial on TV that absolutely drives me wacko!

The woman's voice is so high pitched and nasal, and she can't say the word "garage". She says "garodge". Arggggg!!!!

Every time I see that commercial I want to yell "It's garage you idiot!"
well, i don't know how you pronounce it... but the way she says it is the way everyone i know [including me!] says it - like this:
Pronunciation: \\gə-ˈräzh, -ˈräj; Canada also -ˈrazh, -ˈraj; British usually ˈga-(ˌ)räzh, -(ˌ)räj, -rij\\

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

She says it with a "D" sound along with the "G". There is no "D" in the word.
i didn't hear that... let me listen again!

ETA: i listened again, but i don't hear that.

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She does a little slight D, but its actually the correct way of pronouncing it when you learn to speak for the TV..

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, the kitties are sitting here looking at me like I'm crazy because I've been sitting here saying "garage" over and over again (mommy's talking to herself again!) and I throw a "d" in it too. But, I agree, her voice is VERY annoying!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Her voice is annoying, but that's how I say garage as well.
There are times I really get into it and throw the "d" sound in there too! (At least I don't say warsh for wash. That's my mom.)

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Her voice is annoying, but that's how I say garage as well.
There are times I really get into it and throw the "d" sound in there too! (At least I don't say warsh for wash. That's my mom.)
LOL I had to break myself from saying "warsh". I thought it was just the area I lived in! When I was a junior in high school, we went on a field trip to DC and the one thing our teacher told us (after telling us to pick the hay seeds our of our hair) is it's pronounced "washington" not "warshington".

I never forgot that, but I do sometimes revert back.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

LOL I had to break myself from saying "warsh". I thought it was just the area I lived in! When I was a junior in high school, we went on a field trip to DC and the one thing our teacher told us (after telling us to pick the hay seeds our of our hair) is it's pronounced "washington" not "warshington".

I never forgot that, but I do sometimes revert back.
I just shudder inside when I hear my mom say that. I don't know how I didn't start doing that. Although, I have caught myself saying "winder" instead of "window."

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always pronounced "garage" like gar-rahj .... the "J" sounding like the end of "maharajah" without the "ah". If that makes sence. LOL

All I know is that there is no "D" sound in garage!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so you say it with a softer "g" sound with almost a "sh" sound at the end? So, how do you pronounce age?

I have no idea what is correct or not, and I'm definitely not saying you're wrong. I don't think there is a right or wrong way, it depends on where you live. I love how different areas pronounce words differently.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

Ok, so you say it with a softer "g" sound with almost a "sh" sound at the end? So, how do you pronounce age?
Long sounding "a" and the "g" sounds like the "j" in the word just and rhymes with sage, wage, cage.